Do you think you have a clear sense of how good Conor McGregor really is?

Average.

Ran through an entire division and kilt the champ in 13 seconds.

Nothing great about that.

It's hilarious. This site is such a joke sometimes. Yeah, we have no clue how good McGregor is after THREE years of domination.

People act like he's only had a few fights. People give Khabib all the respect in the world and he has proven much less than Conor.

He is a 4 star general at doo-doo talking BUT, when it comes time to dance, he is a very good striker who bleeds a lot, especially over his right eye....Mendes opened him up, as did Aldo after 1 punch.

I actually think his greatest strength is one most people don't talk about: his poise in the heat of battle. He acts all crazy and aggressive, but really what he's doing is goading his opponent. Even when Mendes took him down over and over again, he never seemed rattled and worked to land or get back to standup.

He's the real deal. But he'll lose before too long.

He is undoubtedly amazing. He holds a belt, has KOd almost everyone he fought. The question of overall 'greatness' and legacy can only be determined with time - can he sustain it? He could have played things safer staying at FW (although questions remains as to Edgar, Mendes etc). That's why he should be respected. He's ambitious.

McGregor is the most hyped fighter, and it makes a lot of people hate him. But at the end of the day, he's talking a huge game and actually trying to back it up by moving up a division. RDA is the toughest fight right now. I give him a 40/60 chance. If he pulls it off, I wouldn't be surprise if he tried to go to WW (though I think he gets killed there).

But so what! Who else has given us superfights? Only BJ Penn ever had the gumption to take on anyone the way Conor does.

He is a 4 star general at doo-doo talking BUT, when it comes time to dance, he is a very good striker who bleeds a lot, especially over his right eye....Mendes opened him up, as did Aldo after 1 punch.

That cut was opened by Mendes in their fight. It was then stitched up. While preparing for Aldo he clashed heads in sparring and it reopened the cut again. He then had to get it restitched but a poor job was done. The cut wasn't fully healed leading into the Aldo fight and, as luck would have it, Aldo landed directly on his brow and opened it yet again, which wouldn't have been too hard to do because it had recently been restitched and a crappy job had been done.

Now you know the full story. Check my post history if you want to see the facts for yourself, since I provided them in a thread about it not long ago (an interview after the Aldo fight with Megan Olivi and a picture of Conor's not fully healed cut just a week or two out from the Aldo fight).

Clay Guida would beat him.

Chad Mendes knocked him out. He's won one and lost one, won one and lost one since, a checkerboard effect. In the two fights that he lost after getting knocked out for the first time in his career by Mendes he was submitted twice.

So give me a break. Guida would be a sitting duck and I'd even bet you that he wouldn't be able to take Conor down. Several men had tried taking him down and until Conor fought one of the very best most explosive wrestlers in MMA it didn't happen. Guida isn't explosive or athletic enough to even worry Conor about being taken down and he would be forced to stand. Take a guess what would happen then.

Chael beat the shit out of anderson for 5 rounds via wrestling & he still has a plausible claim to GOAT.
Don't use logic ... Silva also popped for steroids, multiple steroids, on multiple tests, and people ignore that too and talk about how Chael took steroids so his career is worthless, but Silva is GOAT.

Naw I have no feel for his fights at all... All I know is that he has an incredible chin. Not enough people talk about that...

I like Conor and want his streak to continue,

But I agree he's an intangeable,

The same people who complain about excuse making, make an excuse about his leg injury against Mendes.

He was taking damage in that fight, and was being controlled on the ground by a significantly smaller fighter.

I have a feeling he will get 'exposed' in the near future,

Hope not though.

it has now become apparant i did not realize how good he was in the past....but is he even better than i nor acknowledge? to be determined

Cant say much about his physical prowess because anyone worth a grain mentally knows this dude has tremendous skill sets.

That said, his mental game is even better. He has completely psyched out the class of this division in Mendes and Aldo...RDA looks about to break as well. He's winning fights before he even enters the cage. Still, he needs to turn potential energy into kinetic so I give him credit there especially for Aldo, because Aldo's flurry probably would've fucked up a lot of guys, but Mcgregor still beat his ass and he did it before Vegas.

But so what! Who else has given us superfights? Only BJ Penn ever had the gumption to take on anyone the way Conor does.

6 years you've been here and you don't know the very totally undisputed fact that many champs wanted to challenge for other belts while keeping theirs safe at home but Dana said they couldn't???

If he had the balls to leave a belt behind while challenging for another that would be remarkable, truely unique and an undisputable show of self belief, but he has done nothing that many other champs wouldn't have done if they were allowed, but sadly they weren't as buddy buddy with the boss so they didn't risk their belt and neither has Conor.

Most noobs on sherdog vastly underrate Conors boxing. His movement. His understanding of distance and timing. His punch placement, his punch selection. His strike placement, his strike selection. I mean he came out of the gates against Mendes throwing spinning heel kicks with no feel out process and was finding his mark their mark. Same with Aldo. Knocked him out in 10 seconds placing a perfect counter on the chin with no feel out process, his punches really found their mark. Even the punches he dropped Mendes with were supremely accurate.

What makes Conor great is that unlike most fantastic boxers who frown upon throwing kicks, Conor is the opposite. He has amazing kicks. Teeps, jumping kicks, question mark kicks, heel kicks, round houses, switch kicks, bicycle kicks etc. Hes extremely interested in training them and perfecting them and it shows in his fights the way hes able to find range with them extremely early with almost or no feel out process.

Conor has incredible chin and fight psychology. Some guys act like it but he is truly fearless and is willing to die in there. On top of all of this he has put an incredible amount of pressure on himself to back up his talk in the cage and has been performing at the highest level and carrying events on his shoulders and showing up and putting on amazing performances and beating the best fighters in dominant, exciting fashion. Its incredible that hes able to train that much, be that good, that open to learning all aspects of fighting and doing it all with incredible swag and charisma making people want to see him win or lose, either way people want to see him.

This is how most MMA punchers land hard punches: They're landing hard punches but they're content with connecting with the head, usually creating a larger point of impact.
2daevic.jpg

Conor punches much differently. He is vastly more accurate and lands directly on the part of the chin that puts you down and does it with sniper bullet like precision, creating a smaller point of impact.

adP2h1S.gif

He is so much better than people realize. Whats incredible is how talented he is on the mic. What a notorious image he has created through his charisma, and how well hes performed under all of that pressure and sudden rise to fame.

7-0 in the UFC with 6 KOs. KTFOd Jose Aldo in 13 seconds who has been undefeated for a decade.

Incredible fighting athlete. Once a generation type fighter.

He's had a bunch of fights in the UFC now and I still don't know if he is the GOAT, great, good or average (Is the grappling question 100% answered?)

For almost all other fighters, with that many fights in the UFC, you kind of know where they stand. But for Conor I'm still on the fence. How about you?
Well he can't be the GOAT as he's only a FW. He has a chance to be a GOAT at FW or maybe LW. He's obviously a great fighter. He's taking a huge risk at LW. He has a good chance of being a dual champ and that's about it for now.

His campaign at 155lbs. will really tell us how good he is, I think his greatest battles are ahead of him.
He is an excellent kick boxer, but how well rounded is he? The RDA match is likely the pivotal match in his career and will answer a lot of questions...unless it's another quick KO.

The fact that there's still questions about him makes his match ups interesting for fans and haters.

Who said what you "quoted"? I'd like a source but if its Dana don't bother.

Mendes said it - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/1...-conor-mcgregor-im-going-to-mess-this-dude-up

Lets think about this "Mendes at least knew who he'd be fighting".

When did he know compared to when Conor knew Mendes was likely?
I am guessing a few hours at absolute most, lest be genours and say 6 hours. A roughly 1% increase in notice of opponent does not in any material way counter the over 6 fold increase in notice of fight date.

Well your guess is incorrect. Injury report for Aldo was the 23rd June. They waited a week to see how he'd be. Fight announced 1st July.

Your move.

Back