Do you think you have a clear sense of how good Conor McGregor really is?

Average.

Ran through an entire division and kilt the champ in 13 seconds.

Nothing great about that.

Would like to see him in a fight like Henderson/Rua. To test his will against a top level fighter in all areas, Dos Anos should push him. However, something tells me McGregor wins this match by TKO in the 3rd because Dos Anos becomes stubborn and stands with him.

I think the only way to beat Conor is to sub him
If RDA can't do it Tony Ferguson will in Conor's first LW title defence

He is good but not as good as his fans are making him. I expect RDA will win against him and send him back to his weight class. It is a good point though that we still have a lot to learn about him. The Aldo fight was supposed to answer a lot but all it told us was what we already knew about his striking.

nope. we knew how well rounded and athletic jones was before his run. Lot of questions about Conor. He's still been kept away from bad match-ups. We should know a lot more by the end of the year.
I think we all (except the haters) knew Jones was very good but before the Shogun fight we had no idea the greatness we were watching. I get that same feeling watching Conor. Sky's the limit.

Really? He's definitely better than average, that can't even be argued any more, and he's better than good as well. I'd say hes a modern day great, but he has his weaknesses. He can be taken down, and you wouldn't put it past someone like RDA to sub him. He also gets hit, a lot, and if he really wants to fight at LW and WW, thats going to cause him problems at some point

mendes fight makes things pretty blurry to me..
he had zero guard and he got taken down pretty easily a few times

To me he's a smaller version of Anderson with a similar skill set. But those divisions are more competitive and his reign won't last as long.

To me he's a smaller version of Anderson with a similar skill set. But those divisions are more competitive and his reign won't last as long.

Pretty much nailed it I feel,

Entertaining, good for the sport
but he looked terrible against Mendes, he wouldnt last 1 round with RDA

But lets hope he has improved

This is the best thread about McGregor since I have joined this message board. The majority of McGregor related are either about people nut hugging him fervorously or hating him senselessly.

I think Conor is one of the best strikers ever in the UFC. He is very good as a counter puncher and he is very good moving forward too.
But when it comes to his grappling, you can't make-believe that it isn't a glaring issue. This is a weakness of his, if he faces a fighter that doesn't have a problem with his reach and can time his take down attempts very well, Conor will be unable to really use all of his range of striking, he won't be able to kick which is an important part of his game and so he will be unable to use his boxing as effectively too.

It is all a matter of how long it will take for a fighter with the right skill set to face him.

I don't know if RDA will be the one. He's the type of fighter who cares more about his own strengths and own work than one who focus on game planning for his opponents. That is a bit of a common trait in brazilian mixed martial artists.
And from some of what Cordiero said, it seems their approach to Conor will be identical to the one they used against Pettis, which I believe will backfire very hard. We will see.

He's had a bunch of fights in the UFC now and I still don't know if he is the GOAT, great, good or average (Is the grappling question 100% answered?)

For almost all other fighters, with that many fights in the UFC, you kind of know where they stand. But for Conor I'm still on the fence. How about you?

I'm on the fence too.

His stand-up is supreme. That cant even be debated anymore.

But his TDD and especially his groundgame looked absolutely pathetic against Mendes. And I dont buy the excuses after the fact about his knee. His attempt at a game from the bottom was awful.

The fence is my home for now.

Really not.
But come on guys to be fair Conor run in the UFC has been made easier on purpose.
Nothing to say or to complain about Conor performance or talent but his wins in the UFC show clearly what the UFC wanted for him... at the end of the day only 1 of 7 opponents he got was a wrestler: a wrestler that he took the fight on short notice

Definitely still on the fence.

Still think he has had a lot of luck.

His offensive striking is good, his defense is okay. Doesn't seem to have much in terms of wrestling and BJJ.

I say this as someone who can't stand him:
By now it's safe to say Conor is a good, maybe great fighter. He has a lot of potential, and I hope that if he continues to win, he grows up as well.

This is the best thread about McGregor since I have joined this message board. The majority of McGregor related are either about people nut hugging him fervorously or hating him senselessly.

I think Conor is one of the best strikers ever in the UFC. He is very good as a counter puncher and he is very good moving forward too.
But when it comes to his grappling, you can't make-believe that it isn't a glaring issue. This is a weakness of his, if he faces a fighter that doesn't have a problem with his reach and can time his take down attempts very well, Conor will be unable to really use all of his range of striking, he won't be able to kick which is an important part of his game and so he will be unable to use his boxing as effectively too.

It is all a matter of how long it will take for a fighter with the right skill set to face him.

I don't know if RDA will be the one. He's the type of fighter who cares more about his own strengths and own work than one who focus on game planning for his opponents. That is a bit of a common trait in brazilian mixed martial artists.
And from some of what Cordiero said, it seems their approach to Conor will be identical to the one they used against Pettis, which I believe will backfire very hard. We will see.

Ty

I say this as someone who can't stand him:
By now it's safe to say Conor is a good, maybe great fighter. He has a lot of potential, and I hope that if he continues to win, he grows up as well.

It is safe to say he is great. He is a world-champion-caliber fighter.

The only remaining question is whether or not he is/will be an "all-time great".

No I do not, seems to me like he's fought a bunch of guys who either never learned or forgot how to defend against a straight right counter from a southpaw.

I think we all (except the haters) knew Jones was very good but before the Shogun fight we had no idea the greatness we were watching. I get that same feeling watching Conor. Sky's the limit.
Jones was good everywhere.

Back