Do you think you have a clear sense of how good Conor McGregor really is?

Very intriguing thread on McGregor for a change. Like a few others have said already, we haven't really seen what he's made of yet. There's no denying that he's an excellent fighter but does he have the heart to match? My guess would be yes on what we've seen so far but I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough!

He is a truly great striker. Once in a generation striking talent and that wasn't even in his natural division. If he beats or KO's RDA to get his second belt in the UFC he will be at GOAT status.

Soooo many people on this board overvalue the Mendes fight or let their bias get in the way of what actually occurred in the fight. Let's look at what we know. Chad was 4/7 for takedowns. The first TD was a flying knee by Conor which Chad caught and Conor immediately got back up from so that doesn't really count. 3/6 on takedowns. The best wrestler in the division was only 50% and Conor stuffed some attempts. Now in terms of guard Mendes spent the majority of the fight in Conors guard. He had Conor in a crucifix early but Conor escaped then Mendes had the failed sub attempt Conor also escaped from. Conor didn't throw anything off his back only got out and up when the moment presented itself and honestly did more damage to Mendes with his elbows from the bottom than Mendes did from guard. Conor was talking shit the entire fight and as Chad was throwing elbows. Didn't seem to phase him at all. While the fight was standing Conor completely dominated the fight out striking Chad severely. Brutalized him with body shots that caused him to lose all gas. Which is why Mendes was fine hanging out in guard the entire second round. As soon as the fight went back to the feet Chad got knocked out.

so when you take a step back and look at everything in its proper context you get Conor knocking out Mendes after coming off a serious ACL injury that required stem cells to fix; after having only two weeks to prepare for the best wrestler in the division, while stuffing his TD's and breaking out of subs. Hardly seems like the "zero guard, white belt on the mat" type talk most sherdoggers trot out.

Conor was dead right about the "built in excuse" Mendes and all of Conors haters had after the fight because 2 weeks. At the end of the day the better fighter won and won his way.

No I do not, seems to me like he's fought a bunch of guys who either never learned or forgot how to defend against a straight right counter from a southpaw.

I don't think this is a fair comment. There is more to CM than being a southpaw.

I don't think talent is where McGregor excels; it is attitude.

McGregor seems to be a versatile, accurate and powerful striker, and an average grappler and wrestler.

I am not prepared to say more in his grappling without more info than the Holloway and Mendes fights.

His mental game is world class. His self belief, which was on display in he Mendes fight, is like nothing I have ever seen in a fighter. If someone ever breaks it McGregor will be done forever, I suspect.

Jones was good everywhere.
I think McGregor's grappling is good enough, Mendes was on short notice and all but McGregor only had 2 weeks to prepare for the best wrestler in the division as well...... mind games and all considered, I'd favor Conor to dominate Chad worse then he did the 1st time. Conor came right out throwing kicks to Chad's body, he doesn't fear the grappling game...

So I'll agree that Jones' grappling is in a different league then Conor's but Conor's striking seems to be in a different league then Jones'.

The way he's dominating guys that are supposedly too much for him reminds me of Jones.

How good is mcgregor?
It's simple, he's less good than his fans say he is

So When you see a Conor fan discuss him assume he's not as good as that

Everyone keeps bringing up Conors TDD is terrible because he was taken down by Mendes.

Mendes is probably the best wrestler in the FW division. McGregor won in less than 2 rounds.

Really good maybe great. Actually no he is a great fighter like a top 50 great currently plenty of room to improve that position.

Everyone keeps bringing up Conors TDD is terrible because he was taken down by Mendes.

Mendes is probably the best wrestler in the FW division. McGregor won in less than 2 rounds.

True but 2 weeks for a massive weight cut will detract from anyone.

Mendes laid the groundwork to beat Conor.

I'm curious to see how Conor fairs when a fighter follows that game plan, (but maybe more cardio than Chad had to offer).

That said, if RDA stands with Conor, he's going to sleep.
I think Mendes beats Connor in a rematch. He was winning on a short camp and apparently even had a broken foot IIRC

good thread. I'm still so confused about conor. he has obviously been on an amazing run finishing and beating world beaters but the end of his last 3 fights have been so anticlimactic for a neutral fan. or maybe just me.

If you don't know he's better than average, just stop watching the sport.

He's exceptionally good.

gonna be interesting to see what happens next now that he will defend the title

True but 2 weeks for a massive weight cut will detract from anyone.

"As of Monday he was walking around 163 to 164 pounds -- close to the weight he’s usually at two weeks before a fight."

He was close to his normal fight weight and was still doing some light training keeping himself in shape.

Don't forget, McGregor had a complete change(style) of opponent (in fact, he was unsure of who he was to be facing, Aldo/Mendes), Mendes at least knew who he'd be fighting.

No, no idea.

I say this because in the Mendes fight he was very stationary and was taking shots in order to land his own, because he had an injured ACL. That also plays a factor when it comes to hip escapes, attacking from your guard and especially in stopping takedowns.

In the Aldo fight he looked much more elusive and fluid than he has ever looked, but unfortunately that fight didn't last long enough for us to find out how good he really is.
Aldo said that wasn't a fight

He's obviously great. Even if he does have shitty wrestling which I doubt but if he does he's still proven himself to be great. He won a belt & KO'd 2 top 5 featherweights. There is no debate. He's great.

His standup, mental strength and work ethic is not up for debate, it is world class.

Regarding his grappling and bjj, only the people who coach and train with him know how good he really is.

And they are VERY confident that he will prove the doubters wrong.

I guess at this point it boils down to, do you trust what the people closest to him are saying about his overall skill set?

One way or another, he will face his biggest test in a few weeks, and that fight will very likely tell us everything we need to know.

He is the mcgoat
Soon to get his bb in bjj
Now in his natural WC in LW
Has a mean left that cracks skulls
Has shown his wrestling in Holloway fight which was a while back so I'm sure he has been working on that since also

On the other hand Mendez did a pretty good job of putting him on his ass and inflicting lots of damage but then again Mendez has been wrestling since he was born and mcgoat started out with Irish bare knuckle boxing also he had an ACL injury.

RDA needs to put him on the ground so we can really see how good his grappling is now.

One thing I can tell you, he has the heart of a champion and has done everything he has said so far. That to me makes me rate him even more.

Back