Do you think UFC cares about nationale diversity in the roster?

It is 10x the sport the bush league UFC is.

biden-sniff.gif

I have no idea what you're doing on an MMA forum if you hold that opinion but okay.

It is estimated the UFC would bring in almost a billion in 2021, if they get lucky. For shits and giggles the Indian premiere cricket league will bring in 6 times as much for 2021. Cricket in India >>>>>> UFC.

I have no idea what you're doing on an MMA forum if you hold that opinion but okay.
So I should be a retard and claim the UFC is the biggest sport in the world like the bald goof? Sorry me being a realists and spitting out facts caused you extreme butt hurt.

ttZoC0w.png

So I should be a retard and claim the UFC is the biggest sport in the world like the bald goof? Sorry me being a realists and spitting out facts caused you extreme butt hurt.

ttZoC0w.png

I'm not claiming it's the biggest sport in the world, just that it's better than baseball.

I'm not claiming it's the biggest sport in the world, just that it's better than baseball.
Well the fans have spoken and MLB brings in 10x the revenue as UFC. Clearly MLB is 10x better than the UFC, which the bald goof claimed as the biggest sport in the world. UFC isn't even close to the legit sports of NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, NHL and Indian Premier Cricket League (LMAO).

They have quotas, but a top prospect can emerge from anywhere, and that's what they're looking at most. Ideal scenario is best young fighter from biggest market. But, that's not realistic. They can cultivate talent in places not known for fighting, but that's a long process and can become a bust, as talent happens organically. A top guy can emerge from Sweden or Ireland, when otherwise the talent pool is much smaller than, say, in the US. Yet, they can search and have luck finding that talent.

Because, yes, it's a money-driven business. But also talent-driven. If Khamzat rampages through every promotion and fans see him as the best the UFC will want to get him. Not all the top talent, but most.

So the diverse pool of fighters has happened organically. There is some marketability manipulation aspect as well. Combination of those two. So you won't have a clean best top 15, but maybe 10 of those are the best. I hate that it's so, but what can you do.

Well the fans have spoken and MLB brings in 10x the revenue as UFC. Clearly MLB is 10x better than the UFC, which the bald goof claimed as the biggest sport in the world. UFC isn't even close to the legit sports of NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, NHL and Indian Premier Cricket League (LMAO).

You're right, the things that are most popular are always the best. I'm off to go and listen to Ed Sheeran for the rest of the day.

There are a lot of monetary and logistical concerns that dictate the need for massive American roster

Its a lot easier for them to do get the paperwork in order for American fighters, call them up on short notice, fly them to different locations, maintain communications, etc.

And America is the largest sporting market in the world. The most amount of money is to be made here and the UFC needs to maintain interest by keeping a roster of athletes that American fans can easily identify with. If the UFC ever lost their American fanbase—- the organization would implode—- so they stack the deck to make sure most of the stars are American.
oh you sly devil. Using logic and not getting emotional.

Mexico/Central America is more achievable as due to Entram gym mainly there's more and more fighters from that region that are approaching the required standard. With China there's just nowhere near 70 fighters of the required standard at the moment without significantly reducing the overall quality of the roster to allow them to compete.

I mean that’s kinda the point of building a 13 million dollar training facility. To train the fighters until they are good enough to compete.

The plan isn’t to just get 70 guys on the roster tomorrow—-it is the build them up over time. The number I hear Dana throw out is 10-15 years from now.

This always boggles my mind when people when people say the UFC is going to put a bunch of Chinese cans on the roster. That makes absolutely no sense. It doesn’t serve their interests to have a bunch of Chinese guys get beat up every week.

Do you guys think these UFC executives are morons? You don’t think they put hours of thought and planning into this?? They are spending millions of dollars training these guys to make sure these fighters are good enough to hold their own on the roster. Every single guys working at UFC PI has an insane resume, multiple doctorates, massive sports science experience.

Also the point of the PI is not just to create Chinese UFC stars. It’s goal is the raise the overall level of MMA in China.

Right now the Shanghai Academy has like 30-40 fighter training there but it’s just starting and no where near capacity. The facility it designed to support over a hundred students. Think ahead 10-20 years when the faculty has actively trained hundreds of fighters in MMA.

Most of these guys won’t go to UFC but they will serve other functions in the MMA community. Some of them will become coaches, open their own gyms, become BJJ players, re-enter the regional scene, or fight for other promotions.

Over time due to all these fighters trained by UFC floating around in China an entierly new social community centered on MMA will emerge. The overall skill level in country will par with the rest of the world.

F5991FC1-D9D6-4D5A-8957-0D0F43BAFA15.jpeg FD7D71BC-D9F2-40D7-B851-6A58F26A1E29.jpeg

I mean that’s kinda the point of building a 13 million dollar training facility. To train the fighters until they are good enough to compete.

The plan isn’t to just get 70 guys on the roster tomorrow—-it is the build them up over time. The number I hear Dana throw out is 10-15 years from now.

This always boggles my mind when people when people say the UFC is going to put a bunch of Chinese cans on the roster. That makes absolutely no sense. It doesn’t serve their interests to have a bunch of Chinese guys get beat up every week.

Do you guys think these UFC executives are morons? You don’t think they put hours of thought and planning into this?? They are spending millions of dollars training these guys to make sure these fighters are good enough to hold their own on the roster. Every single guys working at UFC PI has an insane resume, multiple doctorates, massive sports science experience.

Also the point of the PI is not just to create Chinese UFC stars. It’s goal is the raise the overall level of MMA in China.

Right now the Shanghai Academy has like 30-40 fighter training there but it’s just starting and no where near capacity. The facility it designed to support over a hundred students. Think ahead 10-20 years when the faculty has actively trained hundreds of fighters in MMA.

Most of these guys won’t go to UFC but they will serve other functions in the MMA community. Some of them will become coaches, open their own gyms, become BJJ players, re-enter the regional scene, or fight for other promotions.

Over time due to all these fighters trained by UFC floating around in China an entierly new social community centered on MMA will emerge. The overall skill level in country will par with the rest of the world.

I think if they really want to get more Chinese fighters in the UFC the key would be to pay US gyms to run exchange programs and try and get the upcoming Chinese fighters fights on regional shows like LFA, Fury, Titan, CFFC etc. That's how they'll develop, the current matchmaking scene in China seems to be just to fight extremely often but without any real thought put into level of opponents.

The only quota they seem to have is a minimum of WMMA, other than that it doesnt matter for them, as long as foreign guys sell they wont care wich country they "rep", MMA isnt a country based competition.

The only quota they seem to have is a minimum of WMMA, other than that it doesnt matter for them, as long as foreign guys sell they wont care wich country they "rep", MMA isnt a country based competition.
“USA USA USA”?

He said athletes, the US team is dominate in the olympics and that's without government funding.
You don't think the US Olympic team and athletes are de facto government funded? Sorry, but it's not 1964 any more.

Last edited:
I think if they really want to get more Chinese fighters in the UFC the key would be to pay US gyms to run exchange programs and try and get the upcoming Chinese fighters fights on regional shows like LFA, Fury, Titan, CFFC etc. That's how they'll develop, the current matchmaking scene in China seems to be just to fight extremely often but without any real thought put into level of opponents.

They already do that. In an interview given to CM Punk and Dave Ross on Stadium, the UFC President revealed that...

"WE’VE BEEN CULTIVATING TALENT FOR THE LAST 10 TO 12 YEARS, I SEND MY MATCHMAKERS TO CHINA LOOKING FOR TALENT. WHEN THEY FIND THE TALENT THEY SEND THEM BACK TO THE US AND WE PUT THEM IN BIG CAMPS TO TRAIN." --- Dana White

Song Yadong, Alateng Heili, Su Mudaerji, Rong Zhu, Yan Xiaonan, Lei Kai Wen, Danaa Batagrel, Li Jiangliang—- All do large amounts of their training stateside

And once again goal of the PI is to make the entire Chinese MMA scene better over time

They already do that. In an interview given to CM Punk and Dave Ross on Stadium, the UFC President revealed that...

"WE’VE BEEN CULTIVATING TALENT FOR THE LAST 10 TO 12 YEARS, I SEND MY MATCHMAKERS TO CHINA LOOKING FOR TALENT. WHEN THEY FIND THE TALENT THEY SEND THEM BACK TO THE US AND WE PUT THEM IN BIG CAMPS TO TRAIN." --- Dana White

Song Yadong, Alateng Heili, Su Mudaerji, Rong Zhu, Yan Xiaonan, Lei Kai Wen, Danaa Batagrel, Li Jiangliang—- All do large amounts of their training stateside

And once again goal of the PI is to make the entire Chinese MMA scene better over time

They don't put them on the US regional shows though, that would make a big difference imo.

It doesn't seem like anyone genuinely cares about it, seeing as how every time diversity gets introduced, takes over a brand and gets advertised as the main selling point - the product tanks. Not even the people who loudly campaigned for it on social media buy it before dumping it into a memory hole, truly making it all appear as some strange larp.

That said, there's corporate diversity - where you're just trying to smush people of all walks of life into a grey conglomerate of no individualism so that you can sell them the same products - and then there's natural diversity, which often falls into the whole "variety is the spice of life" thing which is pretty awesome.

And that kind of variety is definitely appreciated by UFC and any other business, but only MMA organizations right now seem to understand how to cultivate it naturally. Maybe it's just by accident. Or maybe cause fighting is universal - not specific to a location like hockey or baseball - and it does have a measurable merit that gets rewarded. If you win - you move forward. So, not that politics and popularity don't end up playing a role, but it seems like equal opportunity for everyone but rewarded on merit does indeed work.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely - as does pretty much every other org in MMA.

The UFC is not a meritocracy, it isn't the equivalent of going from a minor league to a major league.

The UFC is based in USA, thus it has to have fighters that can attract an American audience - just like Rizin in Japan, OneFC in Pan-Asia, KSW in Poland, and logically just about any org based in any demographic would do the same. How popular would an MMA be in Nigeria if it was filled with a bunch of great Russian Samboist? Probably not very popular.

The UFC will then select fighters from other regions (hoping they can find either exciting ones or good ones), because they also have a global expansion in mind, but their primary demographic is USA, with expanding to other markets as a secondary goal.

This is why you might see some really good fighters in Bellator who are from Eastern European backgrounds and wonder why they are not in the UFC (they might also be boring fighters as well).

But yes, the UFC is like any other promotion, and they all take into account where a fighter is from when they are constructing their roster. They also take into account how many wrestlers, grapplers, strikers, and guys with unorthodox bases they have. They also of course have certain preferences to certain weight classes.

Many promotions in other sports do the same thing, hence why when you watch a sport in another country you'll notice a lot of people on the team are from the country of origin.

There is a reason why in sports you see players national flags next to their names.

The NBA doesn't have a cap. You can have as many players from as many backgrounds.

Unless you mean a salary cap.

the joke being that the reason most NBA players are american is because they are the best...not there there is some limit to foreign players...I am saying the same thing for UFC....

Back