Do you think UFC cares about nationale diversity in the roster?

the joke being that the reason most NBA players are american is because they are the best...not there there is some limit to foreign players...I am saying the same thing for UFC....
It's not hard to see this isn't the case when you follow the wider MMA world outside of the UFC.

It's not hard to see this isn't the case when you follow the wider MMA world outside of the UFC.

I follow everywhere... fact is that people go to where the most money are. Also, what guys do you have in ONE FC or whatever that are going to beat the UFC champs? Please tell me who is beating Usman or etc... then we can all have a good laugh.

I follow everywhere... fact is that people go to where the most money are. Also, what guys do you have in ONE FC or whatever that are going to beat the UFC champs? Please tell me who is beating Usman or etc... then we can all have a good laugh.
Askren

Noone is beating Usman from another organisation I don't think, but I'd estimate that on average the UFC probably has about 30 of the best 50 fighters in every weight class, so not bad but could be better.

Super lame, this isn't 1995 anymore, MMA is a global sport, limiting "foreigners" to just 50% ensures we never get close to seeing the "best fighting the best" as Dana claims.
That's a weird take.
It's not like there are plenty of UFC-level fighters all over Europe, Africa, and Asia, that just won't get a place because of some quota.
The UFC obviously struggles with finding enough talent to expand their market.
In absolute terms it's far easier for a German or Norwegian fighter to get that UFC contract than for a US fighter, as the UFC simply tries to sign the best handful of guys they can find in that nation, whether they're actually on UFC level or not (typically they're not).
Hence the many short tenures of various European UFC fighters. They do get the chance, but typically don't make it.

That's a weird take.
It's not like there are plenty of UFC-level fighters all over Europe, Africa, and Asia, that just won't get a place because of some quota.
The UFC obviously struggles with finding enough talent to expand their market.
In absolute terms it's far easier for a German or Norwegian fighter to get that UFC contract than for a US fighter, as the UFC simply tries to sign the best handful of guys they can find in that nation, whether they're actually on UFC level or not (typically they're not).
Hence the many short tenures of various European UFC fighters. They do get the chance, but typically don't make it.

There's absolutely loads in Russia who absolutely don't get a chance because of a quota. I would say the number is probably more than 100.

There's absolutely loads in Russia who absolutely don't get a chance because of a quota. I would say the number is probably more than 100.
What do you have in mind? Most fights in the eastern european local circuses clearly aren't UFC level.
Although you're right that if a nation might be disadvantaged by such quotas it's Russia.
But for many Central, Northern, Southern, Western European fighters, their nationality is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
The guy who gets signed because he's the best German, Austrian, Greek, Danish fighter etc typically wouldn't get signed if they were training out of the US.
MMA is incredibly underdeveloped in large parts of the world.
And as I said in my original post, history kinda proves that, just look at the endless amount of signed and after unspectacular performances released Europeans.
Chinese 'prospects' aren't looking too hot either.

What do you have in mind? Most fights in the eastern european local circuses clearly aren't UFC level.
Although you're right that if a nation might be disadvantaged by such quotas it's Russia.
But for many Central, Northern, Southern, Western European fighters, their nationality is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
The guy who gets signed because he's the best German, Austrian, Greek, Danish fighter etc typically wouldn't get signed if they were training out of the US.
MMA is incredibly underdeveloped in large parts of the world.
And as I said in my original post, history kinda proves that, just look at the endless amount of signed and after unspectacular performances released Europeans.
Chinese 'prospects' aren't looking too hot either.

In Russia? Like I say there's absolutely loads. The majority of the ACA roster would do fine in the UFC

If we just take one division in HW then Ali Isaev, Valentin Moldavskiy, Sergey Belostenniy, Evgeny Goncharov, Kirill Kornilov, Mukhamad Vakhaev, Alikhan Vakhaev, Salimgery Rasulov, Denis Goltsov, Oleg Popov at an absolute minimum would all be fine in the UFC.

I've never seen you in the worldwide discussion, maybe you do follow everywhere though IDK.

I'm not picking anybody in or outside of UFC to beat Usman, he's my P4P #1. There are 700 guys on the roster and a bunch of them are no hoper Americans who got signed out of convenience. Guys go where the money is, agreed. That being said the notoriously stingy UFC isn't going out of it's way to offer more money then ACA (or any money) for the likes of Ali Bagov, Aurel Pîrtea, Islam Omorov etc etc. Those are just 3 that came into my head but there are tons and tons more. This is the point of the OP, myself and anybody who sees these caps clearly are a thing.

As for who outside of the UFC could beat the UFC champ? I personally think if you include Bellator there are guys that could give the UFC champ a real fight in every division other then heavyweight.

I actually think the opposite of that is true.

I've never seen you in the worldwide discussion, maybe you do follow everywhere though IDK.

I'm not picking anybody in or outside of UFC to beat Usman, he's my P4P #1. There are 700 guys on the roster and a bunch of them are no hoper Americans who got signed out of convenience. Guys go where the money is, agreed. That being said the notoriously stingy UFC isn't going out of it's way to offer more money then ACA (or any money) for the likes of Ali Bagov, Aurel Pîrtea, Islam Omorov etc etc. Those are just 3 that came into my head but there are tons and tons more. This is the point of the OP, myself and anybody who sees these caps clearly are a thing.

As for who outside of the UFC could beat the UFC champ? I personally think if you include Bellator there are guys that could give the UFC champ a real fight in every division other then heavyweight.

Women's flyweight too, I like Velasquez but Valentina would most likely beat her as easily as she beats everyone else. I also don't think anyone outside the UFC is ready for Rose at SW yet (though I think there are some that could be in a couple of years).

Probably LW when I think about it too, AAA is probably the best representative you can find and I wouldn't give him much chance against Chucky Olives.

Other than that I agree.

All they care about is maximizing their money in each market. This would probably ideally mean having a diversified Top 5 in each division. They don't need to worry about contracting a set number of fighters from each country in the UFC.

All they care about is maximizing their money in each market. This would probably ideally mean having a diversified Top 5 in each division. They don't need to worry about contracting a set number of fighters from each country in the UFC.

They will when they go back to putting international shows. I don’t think the UFC wants to a show in Korea and have zero Korean fighters on the card

Last edited:
Super lame, this isn't 1995 anymore, MMA is a global sport, limiting "foreigners" to just 50% ensures we never get close to seeing the "best fighting the best" as Dana claims.
Lol imagine seeing Masvidal getting two title shots and thinking that seeing the “best fighting the best” was ever what you were getting. MMA is about marketing it’s never been about being the best. Wake up.

They when they go back to putting international shows. I don’t think the UFC wants to a show in Korea and have zero Korean fighters on the card

Maybe fan interest in MMA is low there?

Another place where it is interesting is Japan. They have some of the best female international wrestlers in the world (four medals in last olympics) but not much has translated to high level female fighters in MMA. China is second to Japan on international female wrestling but is doing well in MMA.

Although they can't control who is top level, I suspect they gain on their marketing to have names that fans like who have potential to make it to a belt fight.

Women's flyweight too, I like Velasquez but Valentina would most likely beat her as easily as she beats everyone else. I also don't think anyone outside the UFC is ready for Rose at SW yet (though I think there are some that could be in a couple of years).

Probably LW when I think about it too, AAA is probably the best representative you can find and I wouldn't give him much chance against Chucky Olives.

Other than that I agree.
Yeah I should have specified the men's side. The women's side is a bit different because there are simply less women getting into MMA meaning the pool for all of the promotions is smaller. Bellator and ONE have done respectable jobs building their women's divisions but other then Cyborg being a live dog in a rematch vs Nunes I couldn't see anybody outside of the UFC touching the UFC champ in their respective division.

I am personally of the belief that Patricio Pitbull would be a tough fight for Olives but that's purely a styles makes fights thing. I don't think he'd have much of a chance against Dustin, Gaethje or Islam. I'd pick AAA to fight any of the aforementioned 3, but would pick the UFC guy in any of the match ups. I do think AAA could keep it close though as he tends to fight to the level of his opponent.

Yeah I should have specified the men's side. The women's side is a bit different because there are simply less women getting into MMA meaning the pool for all of the promotions is smaller. Bellator and ONE have done respectable jobs building their women's divisions but other then Cyborg being a live dog in a rematch vs Nunes I couldn't see anybody outside of the UFC touching the UFC champ in their respective division.

I am personally of the belief that Patricio Pitbull would be a tough fight for Olives but that's purely a styles makes fights thing. I don't think he'd have much of a chance against Dustin, Gaethje or Islam. I'd pick AAA to fight any of the aforementioned 3, but would pick the UFC guy in any of the match ups. I do think AAA could keep it close though as he tends to fight to the level of his opponent.

Agree with most of that but I would personally give Kayla a better chance of beating Amanda than I would Cyborg.

Agree with most of that but I would personally give Kayla a better chance of beating Amanda than I would Cyborg.
Oh right forgot about Kayla. Yeah, if Kayla signs with Bellator or re-ups with PFL I think there's a very real chance she can beat either. I think people dismissing her because of her (admittedly) shoddy resume need to take a closer look at what she brings to the table. It's a lot for anybody and I don't care what anybody says.

Back