• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you think Hollywood will bounce back and produce good movies again?

At this point, I just don't see it happening. I have a prediction that another country will step up and start pumping out movies that are better than in Hollywood. Or maybe another country will start financing good movies. Or AI will turn things around in Hollywood.

I get where you are coming from but I think, yes, the western world will start making good movies again because:

1. People are sick of the superficial agendas driving recent filmmaking.
2. There are no countries outside of the western world that have the quality of writing and directing that can take over to consistently create cinematic masterpieces.

2. There are no countries outside of the western world that have the quality of writing and directing that can take over to consistently create cinematic masterpieces.

I don't think even English speaking countries have writers and directors who can create masterpieces anymore. Everything is a rehash or a pastiche of something older. Hollywood is literally living off the fumes of Stan Lee at the moment.

All the best Films I've seen of the last 20 years have been foreign language. I rewatched the Korean Oldboy and Pans Labrynth last week- they're stunning. My daughter is now watching the Studio Ghibli back catalogue and I'd forgotten how genius they were. What does the west have? Top Gun 2.

Hopefully.
I want less CGI and more believable/realistic fight scenes. Sick of seeing someone do a triple back flip in slow motion to deliver a strike.

Doesn't seem likely. Young people don't care about movies anymore and all the adults know they are all racist sexist commie pedos. That's a wrap.

It's been a great year for Hollywood imo

Oppenheimer
Spiderman Across the Spider verse
John Wick 4
GoTG 3
Mission Impossible 7
A good D&D movie
The Last of Us

And now we're getting Killers of the Flower Moon.

Hollywood? Maybe not but works of art will always grace the big screens around the world

There are ebbs and flows to everything. I just hope the theatre industry survives and there is a bit of a transformation from Hollywood to local hubs that make good stuff.

The theatre experience might have to change a bit, 3D wasn’t the answer but at least they are searching.

I think TV has taken a lot of the good stories and good scripts from movies. That's where most of the strong material going to these days because of the long format. They have more room to express themselves on TV with more nuances and details.

Game of Thrones is perfect example of something that probably most producers thought they can make as a movie, but it would have been a very watered down version. So a TV series is more better suited for the source material Game of Thrones has. And it obviously turned out well for them.

Movie was nigLots of awful TV.
I don't think even English speaking countries have writers and directors who can create masterpieces anymore. Everything is a rehash or a pastiche of something older. Hollywood is literally living off the fumes of Stan Lee at the moment.

All the best Films I've seen of the last 20 years have been foreign language. I rewatched the Korean Oldboy and Pans Labrynth last week- they're stunning. My daughter is now watching the Studio Ghibli back catalogue and I'd forgotten how genius they were. What does the west have? Top Gun 2.

You make some great cases with films like Pan's Labrynth, but I still don't see the quality and volume of those films happening on a scale like the western film industry used to be able to do.

I'm thinking probably not. Hollywood can make good money they have discovered writing and filming mediocre movies and shows. that is my guess.

Goggle translate can do that? THAT? @NoGoodNamesLeft posts haven't been yet deciphered by the best cryptographers of the NSA/CIA/FBI/NAACP/CCP/KPI...

FUCK!!! AI is taking over faster than I expected.
Itsd liek the ryosetts stone I knrew sosmdfy we foulfbr able to speak frely guys

They’re capable of it but they have to ditch the agenda driven policies and just tell good stories again. American television shows are proof great ideas are still out there.

I think the divide tends to be less between English speaking and foreign than between Hollywood and the arthouse/indie scene,. The former really is mostly interested in blockbusters these days although with the odd rather safe Oscar drama, its become very hard for a new face to break though and get decent sized budgets compared to the New Hollywood era up to around the mid 90's.

Just watching Hollywood stuff over the last 20 years would tend to mean your watching a narrower style of cinema than it would have 40 years ago, you want cinema like the 70's and you need to be watching the foreign/arthouse scene.

They will continue to make sequels, reboots, and recasts for current IP

Hollywood as a whole? No. But there will be some smaller productions that are good still. I've seen a few good smaller movies even this year.

the problem isn't Hollywood. The problem is that literature is being pinned down to appeal to business purposes. New ideas don't get into writing because they make money catering to established markets. Hollywood was never really about writing, it was more about adapting novels into cinema. Hollywood don't control the flow of new content because it lies with e publishing industries. They can only react to what they get and this woke stuff is just them reacting to a drought. Basically they are starved of new content just like the rest of us they try to ease the boredom by trying to be edgy. The reliance on turnng comics into movies fuly displays how there is little to no desire to turn literature into cinema because it's mostly crap that's been done before.

The problem is they're hiring based on skin color rather than talent. It used to only be actors that were diverse in the 2000s but people of color complained so now they hiring writers and directors and editors based on skin color, too

I don't think Hollywood will ever bounce back to being what it was.

Other countries are already making some damn good films. South Korea and India are two that have dramatically improved over the past 2 decades. I'm sure there will be more.

Hollywood has become too corporate now. There's not much art left. And corporations have realized that there's more money in a hit streaming series than there is in a movie. Because a series can keep you paying for that service for months or sometimes years. So all the best writers work on series now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back