• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do You See Holloway As Top 5 Guy At LW?

If loses again to Volk do you see him moving up and making a run at the LW strap? If so do you see him as a legit contender?

I think he beats Gaethje & Chandler and matches up well with Ollie. As long as he avoids Dustin and Islam on the way to a title shot he has legit shot at the belt
He just has to avoid wrestlers. Islam is his kryptonite. One thing about Max though he would fight Islam. He wouldn't do the avoidance stuff the current lightweights do. Chandler goes silent when Islam is mentioned. I don't like Max at LW.

To answer your question.....yes top 5 but not champion. Like others have said, he needs to prepare properly. The thing I didn't like in the Max fight was how he was getting rocked. He walks through punches at FW. I think guys like Gaethje and even Chandler can ring his bell with their power.

Fair but everyone you mentioned other than Olives and Islam are still miles away from contention let alone top 5 ranks and still have A LOT to prove. We will see.

LW still has a bright future ngl

Arman and Gamrot are ranked in the top 10 and the winner will be close to contention. Fiziev is also top 10 and with a win over RDA would be close. Guram is fighting Damir winner of that will be top 15.

If he moves up properly, yes, I even see him being champ if Islam wasn't in the picture.

I honestly think Holloway would give Charles a severe beating, and I like Charles, great matchup for Holloway

Its interesting, for sure.

If Max really is an extreme weight cutter, that creates a super interesting dynamic if he's ascending to a more natural weight. Oliveria's the classic example of this.

Go look at Oliveira's record at 45. Had weight cut issues over his career, was basically a scary journeyman at FW. Debuts at 45 against Eric Wisely in 2012. From 2012-2016, he goes 7-5, missing weight 4 times. Comes to reality, accepts 55 is a requirement.

Debuts at LW against Will Brooks in 2017, drops the next fight to Felder, then never loses again.

I honestly think Holloway would give Charles a severe beating, and I like Charles, great matchup for Holloway
Charlie rocks Max and subs him in a rematch.

Totally different match today than the 1st one. Max got tooled again by Dustin at 55 (with only his chin keeping him in the fight to make it competitive for a bit later on) while Charles finished Dustin.

Oliveira is basically a Welterweight now. Massive cutter for the division
Max is filling out and only 30. He has a few years to full out to 155, he will make the transition. He is Hawaiin and he ain't ain't small guy either

If loses again to Volk do you see him moving up and making a run at the LW strap? If so do you see him as a legit contender?

I think he beats Gaethje & Chandler and matches up well with Ollie. As long as he avoids Dustin and Islam on the way to a title shot he has legit shot at the belt
At lightweight, I think he does well, but I don't quite seem him as top 5. I just don't feel his power would carry over enough to overwhelm his opposition with volume like he does at 145 -- not sure if this makes sense to anyone lol.

I'd like to see what he looked like if he tried to put on some weight

Skills-wise he is as good as anyone, it's just hard to win fights when everyone's shots hurt you, and your shots don't hurt them... that's what the Dustin fight came down to if I remember correctly

Exactly right my man. That's it, nail on the head.

I think Oliveria would beat Max at LW. The weightcut was a big factor in Oliveria's piss poor FW performance.
He's completely different at LW, and I can see him giving Max the Tony treatment.

I'd like to see what he looked like if he tried to put on some weight

Skills-wise he is as good as anyone, it's just hard to win fights when everyone's shots hurt you, and your shots don't hurt them... that's what the Dustin fight came down to if I remember correctly
Tbf, Dustin hurts everyone he fights and Max actually did hurt him too. Power has never been something Max has and hes done well without that advantage. Aside from that He shouldve went to lw years ago. Fuck being competitive, thats irrelevant. He doesnt have many weightcuts to fw left and who knows the damage hes done by continuing that cut.

No way, this current version takes him down and subs him, easily. Holloway doesn’t have the power to keep Do Bronx off him at LW.
Hell Charles would knock Max the fuck out.

Reactions: G10
I don't think so. Holloway gets away with his relatively short arms for his frame by being tall and willing to eat some shots. I don't think he can employ the same strategy at LW. They punch a little harder and they tend to be around the same height. Max is the man at 145 but he is a volume guy. There are also big wrestlers in 155 that might give him issues.

Hes already beat Oliviera at 145, he can not get taken down by him and light him up on the feet.
This answer sums up what's wrong with sherdog and why, unfortunately, mma has the most ignorant fans. First off, I think Max shouldve already made move to 155 where his body has already grown into lightweight territory and he can absolutely be a top 5 er as an everyday seasoned LW.

However to reference ,lol, the Oliveria fight now in 2022 is just dumb. Alot of people beat " that " scrawny- offense deficient entity. Two different fighters- I'd say literally but ,of course, that cant be.

I think he gets a few fights under belt( as long as sooner vs later), hes capable of beating anyone at 155.

He can come over right now and I'd bet him vs rhe likes of gaejthe and chandler.

Love LOVE to see him vs Dustin 2 with a few 155 fights under belt.

He can hang and put the volume on some of those top 5 LWs, as long as his chin continues to hold. I could see a situation where Gaethje or Chandler finally crack it, though. I could also see Max retiring as one of those freaks who has never been KO'd. I would prefer the latter.

A few years ago, yes.

But 155 Poirier rocked him harder than anyone rocked him at 145 that I can remember. That would hold true for RDA, Dariush, Chandler...everyone. He survived and won a few rounds, but it was telling.

And RDA would most certainly bully him against the cage. Dariush probably would too. With their bullying old man strength.

Poirier said it best when he suggested that if Max had wanted to go to LW permanently he should have taken the time and build his weight up methodically. If he did that, he would have had success. Can he still? I dunno, he's hitting that 10 year mark soon....

Last edited:
I feel like everybody's completely ignoring that he got lit the fuck up in his last fight against Yair, and had to resort to grappling to barely win against possibly the worst grappler at FW. And this is after his "dominant" performance against Kattar where he still absorbed like 200 strikes. Max is past it guys, and Volk 3 is going to make that clear now that he's fighting an actual top fighter and not a low top 10 guy.

A few years back he could've been it, especially if he had actually just moved up properly instead of with no preparation, but if he moved up now he's getting finished or holding out to decision losses.

I don't think he does well against the top 5 guys.
Charles would pressure him on the feet and the ground.
Poirier would do what he did last time
His best chance is against Justin as long as his chin holds up. He leaves himself open to being countered
Islam's wrestling.
Chandlers constant pressure and take down threat would be too much for Max

Back