Do you see Askren retiring soon?

People have been saying that's a troll.statement but he really.does not look UFC caliber.

Like his athleticism and standup looks God awful
When people say that "Askren is not a UFC caliber fighter", I'm assuming they mean that he's not UFC caliber relative to where he is in the rankings, not on the absolute scale. Is Askren not skilled enough to NOT be in the UFC at all? Of course not, there are many cans on the UFC roster objectively much worse than Askren. Is Askren UFC champion material same way he was champion material in the lesser promotions? I highly doubt it. He's good, probably top 5 good, but not champ material due to having too large of a hole in his game.

I don't see why anyone would think someone with only one career loss would be thinking about retiring.
Besides, I'm sure he would want to go out with a win.

those Lawler,Masvidal fights were brutal asf , coupled with the fact that he's already well into his 30s and I can see him just calling it a day. Not everyone needs to be a champ in the UFC to prove their dominance and be remembered and Askren is already a two promotion belt holder and legendary wrestler.

Another thing that has to be factored in is that his striking skills and athleticism don't really seem to be UF C level and if you put him up against more top guys he could get really hurt, but at the same time he can't just exclusively train those areas the way he would need to cus it would hurt his wrestling . This whole situation is just really strange because he has Had two fights but we don't even know what caliber fighter he is yet .

Just curious as to what Sherdog thinks honestly.
I already saw him retire, yet here we are ...

He can if he wants. Made a fair amount. Ben can test himself a bit further. Aldo took a quick KO from Conor lost to Max and is still a contender.

Depends what happens in his next fight. If he suffers another embarrassing loss he may retire or get cut, or possibly fight once more. He needs to bounce back with a definitive win (read: no controversy)

If he gets starched one more time, he’ll probably get pressure from family/friends/fans/etc to retire, he was talking this week about the amazing support from the people close to him, they probably don’t want to see what happened last Saturday ever happen again, imo.

He would have in all likelhood faced Usman for the title had he beaten Masvidal. Going from TS to retirement seems a bit too much even by sherdog's standard. He should fight at least one more time imho (possibly against someone who isn't a heavy hitter) and try to get his mojo back.

I really don't think he cares too much about that

IMO His intentions are
1) ride out contract make some $$$
2) make a "name for himself" to set himself up for a chael like career post retirement
He has an unpleasant face though. Would they want him on camera all the time?

Ben has taken substantial damage in the past few months. I don't care for Ben as a fighter but I respect him. I say hang it up, let Ben enjoy his life remembering who his wife and kids are and nobody would argue he would be one of the best coaches in the game. A Robbie without ring rust and a Herb Dean actually paying attention would have ended that fight differently. Jorge just capitalised on the fact he and anyone with a brain knew that Askren was operating on borrowed time in the UFC and a brutal KO was awaiting him.

Not to mention his dad jokes and 1980s humor make Henry Cejudo seem watchable.

if he loses his next fight, it's very likely he'll call it quits. If I'm not mistaken he's retired before, and only fights now because of the UFC opportunity.

Eh.. its a loss. The way it happened doesn’t give us any idea into Bens striking. He was shooting, not in a striking stance. Super bad head placement. He’ll never make that mistake again. Make adjustments and be back even more dangerous.

Even other elite wrestlers like Khabib, Colby, Usman etc... have realized they can't just rely solely on wrestling their opponents to win. They realized they have to have atleast an adequate ability to strike with their opponents.

Ben apparently never got this memo. Masvidal knew this 100% and took advantage of it.

I really hope so. He is too late in the game to evolve into a solid striker. Plus the blueprint to beat him is clear in a sense. He could get really fucked up and I dont want to see that really. He's a smart, well spoken dude with a family and he's already retired once. So he should take the high road and do it again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back