Do you guys have any idea what it's like to live in Ireland right now?

Cause fake fans are obnoxious to listen to. Then they will stop watching once the hype is gone. How is that good for the sport?

Don't be such a whiner. Do you know how hard it is to find someone out and about that actually knows anything about MMA? Sure new fans can be obnoxious but when it's all said and done more peoples are watching and some of those people will stick with it even when Connor loses.

Cause fake fans are obnoxious to listen to. Then they will stop watching once the hype is gone. How is that good for the sport?

its funny to me - most people don't know much about mma its nice to hear those positive dolt type people interested - they have the same opinions about other sports and politics too

The McGregor hype over here is crazy. Suddenly everyone you meet is an mma expert. People who literally didn't know what mma was until 6 months and have only ever watched Conor McGregor fights/highlights are having lunchtime conversations about how McGregor will be the champion soon. I have asked many of these people if they know who the champion is. Their reply is no, but they insist that McGregor is a better 'athlete' and his 'movement' is the best in the division.

The sad thing is that if McGregor loses these same people will completely abandon him and never watch another fight again..

I'm a McGregor fan and I'll be cheering for him when he takes on Aldo but it seems the unfortunate by-product of his success is a legion of bandwagon fans who don't even like mma, just their new Irish hero

Because he is the better athlete and he does have the best movement in the division.

Revenue, interest, media coverage are all good for the sport. As for 'fake' fans being obnoxious I've seen your posts and this seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Those things can be good for a sport depending on how they were obtained. If they are made on a bed of lies and deceit by overhyping a guy, it will be bad for the sport when it comes crashing down.

And why kettles and pots gotta be black? Racist.

It's like any other business. They rely on hype. Hype makes more money than anything.

I disagree. Hype makes short term money but leaves people dissatisfied when it the hype is exposed. What makes more money is real excellence. Look at the NE Patriots. You think they have legions of fans and make billions because of hype? No, they're proven winners and that keeps the money rolling in. It's like the difference between being rich and being wealthy.

Sure but talking to uneducated fans who think they are educated is the worst. I watched Cain v Lesnar and all the frat boys nearby said Lesnar was going to kill Cain. While it was fun to school them with an educated prediction, it still sucked because they won't listen to reason. It's like any smart person trying to talk sense to dumb people, they just aren't having it.

Im not there yet! But clearly anyone that thought Lesnar would beat Cain was not talking sense!

Lol thats better then being in America and someone asking you "When is chuck Liddell fighting again he's a great fighter" Atleast Iris people are now current with the times.

Because he is the better athlete and he does have the best movement in the division.

The problem is how they came to that conclusion. It certainly isn't by watching other guys in the division and comparing their athleticism and movement. They don't even know who the champ of the division is, how can they say McG is better than him when they don't even know who he is?

I disagree here. I was originally drawn into MMA because I saw the TUF Finale between Griffin and Bonnar. I was immediately interested, and so I bought

So I picked up a PPV with Griffin in it, which was UFC 101. At that point I was basically in it because I liked Forrest Griffin - his style of fighting and his personality. Well, you know what happened at UFC 101. Those Matrix-dodges Silva did just blew me away and I've watched every event since.

Nowadays I can say I have an okay understanding of MMA, including the ground game. I read all kinds of articles on striking, and am planning on starting BJJ myself. I also watch all the Bellator, WSOF and OneFC events.

That can happen to anyone who is drawn in because of McGregor.

It's 2015 and people are STILL treating mma like their favorite underground band--getting pissed off when new people find about it. LOL

It's the fact that they want to have a conversation on it but can't name but 2 top 10 fighters. And probably saw 10 minutes of a card at a bar.

But this comes with every sport people like to small talk about the weather but after that you try to go with sports topics see if you have commonalities. And a lot of times you don't but the person you know knows shit about that sport will still try and talk like they do. Until you dig deeper and make them say "Oh yeah I don't really follow that sport" but it's not until you stump them with a question that they have to throw that gem of a line out.

^^ That being said, I do understand TS's pain. I was frustrated enough with just the spam of Conor-videos on my Youtube-feed, and I don't have to see the same hype around me in everyday life.

I imagin it as a post 2008 recession Mad Max like economic wasteland controlled by Conor riding on Cathal Pendreds sholders masterblaster style.

master-blaster.jpg
Well done.

If I lived in Ireland I'd probably want to shoot myself

I disagree here. I was originally drawn into MMA because I saw the TUF Finale between Griffin and Bonnar. I was immediately interested, and so I bought

So I picked up a PPV with Griffin in it, which was UFC 101. At that point I was basically in it because I liked Forrest Griffin - his style of fighting and his personality. Well, you know what happened at UFC 101. Those Matrix-dodges Silva did just blew me away and I've watched every event since.

Nowadays I can say I have an okay understanding of MMA, including the ground game. I read all kinds of articles on striking, and am planning on starting BJJ myself. I also watch all the Bellator, WSOF and OneFC events.

That can happen to anyone who is drawn in because of McGregor.
There is a difference though. As TS said, these fans aren't fans of McG as much as they are of Irish nationalism. When McG loses, they will stop being fans of his and of MMA. For whatever reason you liked Griffin, it wasn't as dubious a reason as blind nationalism.

If I lived in Ireland I'd probably want to shoot myself

Can't be as bad in Ireland as it is in Brazil with all the Renato Laranja fans going crazy about him. But in his case they have a legit reason to hype and support him. 27 times Mundial world champion is legit as they come.

You guys should just be glad people are watching. It's gotten so bad here no bars even show the fight anymore, there's no interest at all

Why should we care that people are watching?
Especially if those ppl are bandwagon glee clubers?

Do you laddies get free UFC in Ireland? I imagine so same as in the UK. So the UFC won't even get any additional PPV sales out of all this hype. Just more drunken idiots pretending to be fans of the sport.

I think a TV station airs the UFC fights, they have to pay UFC for the rights so the more viewers watch the more leverage they'll get in license fees

You guys should just be glad people are watching. It's gotten so bad here no bars even show the fight anymore, there's no interest at all

Yup. All the bars used to be packed for UFC and now you are lucky if they are showing them.

It's the fact that they want to have a conversation on it but can't name but 2 top 10 fighters. And probably saw 10 minutes of a card at a bar.

But this comes with every sport people like to small talk about the weather but after that you try to go with sports topics see if you have commonalities. And a lot of times you don't but the person you know knows shit about that sport will still try and talk like they do. Until you dig deeper and make them say "Oh yeah I don't really follow that sport" but it's not until you stump them with a question that they have to throw that gem of a line out.

Good post. It's worse because it's fighting and every jock and bro at the sports bar thinks he could be in the cage. Talking to them is nonsense because they don't know who or what they are watching. I've heard guys calling for a striker to go for takedowns or flying armbars. I was at a watch party and one of these bronies actually said, "why is his name Vitor instead of Victor?"

So much concern about what other people are doing ITT

Half the reason I go to the bar for fights is just to hear people act like they are experts. It is probably the best way to deal with a terrible fight.

But if it bothers you that much go add "No MMA Noobs" on your tree house sign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back