Do you guys have any idea what it's like to live in Ireland right now?

donegalbjj

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
The McGregor hype over here is crazy. Suddenly everyone you meet is an mma expert. People who literally didn't know what mma was until 6 months and have only ever watched Conor McGregor fights/highlights are having lunchtime conversations about how McGregor will be the champion soon. I have asked many of these people if they know who the champion is. Their reply is no, but they insist that McGregor is a better 'athlete' and his 'movement' is the best in the division.

The sad thing is that if McGregor loses these same people will completely abandon him and never watch another fight again..

I'm a McGregor fan and I'll be cheering for him when he takes on Aldo but it seems the unfortunate by-product of his success is a legion of bandwagon fans who don't even like mma, just their new Irish hero

Good. They obviously needed Conor to get interested in MMA. Don't see why that bothers you

Good. They obviously needed Conor to get interested in MMA. Don't see why that bothers you

Cause fake fans are obnoxious to listen to. Then they will stop watching once the hype is gone. How is that good for the sport?

The issue is that they are not interested in mma. They don't watch any fights that don't include Conor

Because they don't deserve it. They haven't invested and studied the sport enough time to be a fan. I bet most of them don't even train.

oh cry some more. "They're fake fans they don't care!!!" haha.

Who fuckin cares

The issue is that they are not interested in mma. They don't watch any fights that don't include Conor

Do you laddies get free UFC in Ireland? I imagine so same as in the UK. So the UFC won't even get any additional PPV sales out of all this hype. Just more drunken idiots pretending to be fans of the sport.

Who fuckin cares

You should. This is the watering down of MMA where the UFC will have to come up with new, louder, more obnoxious "stars" that will pollute the MMA landscape and make it more and more WWE and less sport. Glad you fuckin care enough to keep posting here though.

You guys should just be glad people are watching. It's gotten so bad here no bars even show the fight anymore, there's no interest at all

I imagin it as a post 2008 recession Mad Max like economic wasteland controlled by Conor riding on Cathal Pendreds sholders masterblaster style.

master-blaster.jpg

Cause fake fans are obnoxious to listen to. Then they will stop watching once the hype is gone. How is that good for the sport?
Because there will always be a few who legit come to love the sport. Most of us started off as fanboys who only really knew a fighter or two at some point. For me it was silva, Dude did stuff you see in like dragonball z, dodging and counter punching, he made it look like he was in full control most of the time, like he was the good guy in the cartoon that couldnt be beat. When weidman ko'ed him i didnt stop watching, of course i was butthurt fanboy for awhile but i didnt get out of the sport.

While it sucks that fighters like mcgregor inevitably bring those annoying temporary "fans" its undeniably that they also bring in alot of quality fans along with them. i can only imagine how many sherdog posting greats are starting out as whilebelts making MCGOAT threads and spouting conor bless there are now.

Imagine an entire country of people wearing Tapout shirts...

Who fuckin cares

Not crying.. I'm just disappointed, once mma started getting big over here I thought it would raise the profile of the sport giving it mainstream acceptance. Instead it seems like more of a flavour of the month deal..

How is it not? From thousands of fake fans, hundreds will become casual, from hundreds of casual fans, tens will become hardcore, and maybe from one of those few a future GOAT will be born.

I gots the feeling.

You should. This is the watering down of MMA where the UFC will have to come up with new, louder, more obnoxious "stars" that will pollute the MMA landscape and make it more and more WWE and less sport. Glad you fuckin care enough to keep posting here though.
Oh my.

MMA is prize fighting, I don't try and view it as some super legit sport.. its just fun to watch, the faster you realize this the more enjoyable it will be for you.

More WWE? Wtf does that even mean? If the fights start becoming staged, then you'll have a point. I like Conor, I like the hype. Every country needs stars to get interested in the sport. You guys sound like a bunch of cry babies right now

This is how combat sports work. Certain fighters get the public interested, it rides until they lose, then only the hardcores continue watching.. I swear its like all of you started watching combat sports last year

It's no different than when a bunch of people who've never watched a football (soccer) match in their life go to the pub draped in a flag because their country has reached the world cup finals.

I do See your point but look at it this way...you want mma discussion with "proper" fans all you have to do is come here (I know someone's gonna pull me on this and I get it but you see what I mean)

Because there will always be a few who legit come to love the sport. Most of us started off as fanboys who only really knew a fighter or two at some point. For me it was silva, Dude did stuff you see in like dragonball z, dodging and counter punching, he made it look like he was in full control most of the time, like he was the good guy in the cartoon that couldnt be beat. When weidman ko'ed him i didnt stop watching, of course i was butthurt fanboy for awhile but i didnt get out of the sport.

While it sucks that fighters like mcgregor inevitably bring those annoying temporary "fans" its undeniably that they also bring in alot of quality fans along with them. i can only imagine how many sherdog posting greats are starting out as whilebelts making MCGOAT threads and spouting conor bless there are now.

This is a good post and on point. I guess we'll have to suffer through the idiot casual fans but gain some legit longtime fans from all this. I don't hate McG, I hate what the UFC is doing just to make themselves some damn money.

Back