Do you guys have any idea what it's like to live in Ireland right now?

The McGregor hype over here is crazy. Suddenly everyone you meet is an mma expert. People who literally didn't know what mma was until 6 months and have only ever watched Conor McGregor fights/highlights are having lunchtime conversations about how McGregor will be the champion soon. I have asked many of these people if they know who the champion is. Their reply is no, but they insist that McGregor is a better 'athlete' and his 'movement' is the best in the division.

The sad thing is that if McGregor loses these same people will completely abandon him and never watch another fight again..

I'm a McGregor fan and I'll be cheering for him when he takes on Aldo but it seems the unfortunate by-product of his success is a legion of bandwagon fans who don't even like mma, just their new Irish hero

Oh just embrace it. Don't be one of those I liked mma before it was cool nerds. The more the merrier (and great for the sport).

It was the same in North America that will die down in a little while.

Fake fans, for a fake fighter... :)

I live in Montreal, and I can tell you the same thing happened with GSP: Many assholes who acted like they were the biggest MMA fans in the world, as long as GSP was an active fighter. Then St.Pierre retires, and they don't care anymore for MMA.

So it's a lot like living in Iowa for the past 13 or 14 years...

With an Irish last name, I hate how people root for their own in this rabid fashion.

I don't undertand why people dislike that so much. In every sport the fans support their local guys.

The ones that piss me off ar the football fans wearing Manchester United or Real Madrid shirts when they wouldn't be able to find either of those cities on a map. They just pick a side that's winning so they'll have an easy time supporting them and bragging about how good the team they support is. Real fans stick by their local teams through thick and thin.

The McGregor hype over here is crazy. Suddenly everyone you meet is an mma expert. People who literally didn't know what mma was until 6 months and have only ever watched Conor McGregor fights/highlights are having lunchtime conversations about how McGregor will be the champion soon. I have asked many of these people if they know who the champion is. Their reply is no, but they insist that McGregor is a better 'athlete' and his 'movement' is the best in the division.

The sad thing is that if McGregor loses these same people will completely abandon him and never watch another fight again..

I'm a McGregor fan and I'll be cheering for him when he takes on Aldo but it seems the unfortunate by-product of his success is a legion of bandwagon fans who don't even like mma, just their new Irish hero

I have an Irish girl on facebook (straight 10/10) and I noticed her and her friends congratulating him and all discussing where they could watch his fights etc after the event on Sunday where they'd never have mentioned anything MMA related before

I don't undertand why people dislike that so much. In every sport the fans support their local guys.

The ones that piss me off ar the football fans wearing Manchester United or Real Madrid shirts when they wouldn't be able to find either of those cities on a map. They just pick a side that's winning so they'll have an easy time supporting them and bragging about how good the team they support is. Real fans stick by their local teams through thick and thin.

While I agree with you on people picking Man U or Madrid just because they are the best. If you live in Ireland there aren't any local teams in the premiership so most kids just pick the top club when they are younger. As long as you stick with that team through thick and thin, surely it's ok?

I have an Irish girl on facebook (straight 10/10) and I noticed her and her friends congratulating him and all discussing where they could watch his fights etc after the event on Sunday where they'd never have mentioned anything MMA related before

Yep, I've heard a few girls over here mention that he's super good looking, he seems to have dat sex appeal with the ladies

While I agree with you on people picking Man U or Madrid just because they are the best. If you live in Ireland there aren't any local teams in the premiership so most kids just pick the top club when they are younger. As long as you stick with that team through thick and thin, surely it's ok?

Whatever floats your boat but it just surprises me when people on here get up in arms about Brazilians or Irish or Swedes supporting their own fighters. That's what you do in sports.

You make a fair point, if there's nobody to support then pick some guys you like but if your local guys are competing and you're giving them good support, I don't understand why it would merit any criticism whatsoever.

Because they don't deserve it. They haven't invested and studied the sport enough time to be a fan. I bet most of them don't even train.

This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Did you cry on your keyboard while you typed that?

1. There is not a criterium by which one earns the right to call themselves a "fan" of anything. And anyone who finds pride in having "earned" the right to call themselves a "fan" of something need to stop being a homo and go out and earn something that's real.

2. If only people who train can be fans than you got yourself a sport that is never gonna make any $$$$ at all.

Who cares...guy is fun to root for. Gets MMA talked about. We needed new blood after GSP and many others retired or got old. The added weight classes and extra cards watered it all down, so to have people talking is good.

Yeah Im with the guy who told you dont be one of those "I liked MMA before it was cool" guys.

Who cares if his fans arent "proper" MMA fans. Most of Brocks werent either. The more people watching UFC the better.

Its not just Ireland he gets the attention, by Brother was watching NFL and they were talking about the Irish Muhamed Ali fighting, refering to him.

Now its fair play to support your own athletes, when I was at the Frampton title fight half the people I talked to werent boxing fans they were just supporiting "one of our own"

Dana, is that you?

I always figure that no buzz what so ever. Dana always says a whole country is up at night as if it's frasier vs ali.

Who cares...guy is fun to root for. Gets MMA talked about. We needed new blood after GSP and many others retired or got old. The added weight classes and extra cards watered it all down, so to have people talking is good.

It is good that people are talking.

As a fan I don't want MMA to be this crazy secret that I share with only a few AVs and walls of text over the internet. I want to have friends who watch fights and know the fighters. Yes, there are some fair weather fans who will bail when Conor loses. So what? There were Shogun fans who I knew that don't follow the sport since he was tapped by Sonnen, and these guys have full collections of PRIDE dvds and everything. Were they a lesser breed of fan just because they lost interest once their favourite declined? Who cares, I had fun sharing the sport with them for a decade before that!

Awesome, I hope they all bet on Conor and move money line a lot so I can dump money on Aldo.

I asked this Irish girl on a forum her opinion on McGregor and she didn't even know him.

its really cool to see little countries have something to really root for and get them going that brings them together. its like the movie Hoosiers where the small town takes on the big city

We got almost the same situation here in Sweden with Gustafsson, but it's mostly journalists talking out of their asses. As for the people, the Jante law keeps it under control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back