Do you guys consider Chael Sonnen as the last WEC champion?

No. That would be Cruz, Aldo, Bendo. As for last MW champion? No.

anthony-pettis-showtime-kick-big.gif

Does anyone else not think the whole situation is bs? I understand the challenger not fighting for the belt if he doesnt make weight but the champion? belt should still be on the line. or is there something im missing here?

I don't. If he finished Filho, I would, but since it went to a decision after only three rounds, I don't. It doesn't matter, though. It's certainly better to be Sonnen right now than it is to be Filho.

I wouldn't. It was Lutter who missed the weight. Chael had nothing to do with his becoming a non-title fight.

Not technically, but everyone would have considered him at the top of the division.

Yeah, he is. No matter what happened that night that prevented him from being the "official" champ, I still consider him to be.

Plus I believe they mailed him the belt the next day.

Sonnen has it on one of his walls in his house. So yeah he is the last WEC MW champion....though not in the books

Does anyone else not think the whole situation is bs? I understand the challenger not fighting for the belt if he doesnt make weight but the champion? belt should still be on the line. or is there something im missing here?

How can the MW belt be on the line once it's fought at a higher weight class? That's what you're missing, it's no longer a MW fight if either contestant misses weight.

How can the MW belt be on the line once it's fought at a higher weight class? That's what you're missing, it's no longer a MW fight if either contestant misses weight.

I understand that. Its just that the challenger can train, come in on weight, beat the champion......for nothing? anderson silva can just come in overweight for every fight and never lose the belt? (not that he would ever need to lol) I know the technicalities of it being a mw/lhw/hw fight or whatever but its a rule which hurts the guy who didnt do anything wrong if ya get me?

Yes. Absolutely.

Yeah, he is. No matter what happened that night that prevented him from being the "official" champ, I still consider him to be.

Plus I believe they mailed him the belt the next day.

Supposedly Filho wanted Chael to have the belt and his camp called him.

yes.. sad he didnt get the actual belt but he did win so yes

no. he got trolled. hahahaha

This is hilarious, because it's pretty close to what happened.

Yeah, I consider him the WEC champ. Still, it probably sucks for Chael to have to justify it

I wouldn't. It was Lutter who missed the weight. Chael had nothing to do with his becoming a non-title fight.

This. Lutter missed weight, not Anderson. I don't understand why is a champion misses weight, the bout is not a title fight. Is that the way it is in the UFC currently? That's horrible in cases where the contender wins the fight but is not rewarded with the belt/title of champion.

No. That would be Cruz, Aldo, Bendo. As for last MW champion? No.

Jesus....Why do you people even bother posting? Do you like showing everyone you have no idea what you're talking about?

yes.. sad he didnt get the actual belt but he did win so yes

Bullshit. He won, and he got the belt. Do you people even bother taking the time to read up about the topic before posting in it?

i dont consider any WEC champions to be champions

Filho sure does.

He fedex'd him he belt afterward.

personally yes i do. we all know what happened and who did and didn't miss weight .

To me, the big asterisk isn't even the missed weight but the fact he was under the influence during the fight of some potent stuff. I remember watching it live and Filho was not there then Rogan or whoever commentating noticed him looking everywhere but Chael. I mean, do y'all know what he was saying to Chael during the fight lol...

"He had asked me at one point in the fight to go to the ground with him and I said 'No, I can’t do that’ and he said, 'no, no submission attempts, just rest, come to the ground, let’s rest' and I just said again, 'I can't' and just went back to fighting."
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opt...-filho-whispered-in-his-ear&catid=36:fighters

Just, wow.

Back