Do you guys consider Chael Sonnen as the last WEC champion?

Mooner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sonnen always says he'll start everything over if he gets to become a champ for one day. Also, if he doesn't become a champ, there's no such thing as retiring; only quitting. Well, do you guys consider Chael to be WEC champ or was the whole Paulo Filho a misfortune?

He's technically not the WEC champion, but we all know what happened.
If Lutter had beat Anderson, we would have considered him the champion as well.

For practical purposes, yes.

Chael probably has the worst luck with title belts, I don't know anyone that has worst luck.

I don't think he cares about the WEC title because he knows that the UFC has the highest level of competition, so being the WEC champ doesn't mean you are the best in the world, and that's what he wants.

Yeah, he is. No matter what happened that night that prevented him from being the "official" champ, I still consider him to be.

Plus I believe they mailed him the belt the next day.

yes, if Filho made weight he would have that strap

Yeah. It's not his fault his opponent missed weight; he did everything he was supposed to do to win the championship.

The fight may not've been for the belt, but would you really have denied that Travis Wiuff wasn't the true Bellator LHW champion after he beat M'Pumbu? Or that Yves Edwards wasn't the uncrowned UFC LW champion in 2004 after he beat Franca and KO'd Thomson and was on a 6 fight winning streak in the UFC? Or that Filho wasn't the true winner of the Pride 2006 WW GP (he beat Misaki on the same night that, and right before, Misaki beat Kang for the tourney)? It might not be official and on paper, but it doesn't change the fact that the only true way to become a champion is to beat the champion, which all of these guys did.

The last WEC champ
People's champion of the UFC
Lineal UFC LHW Champ

Chael is a multiple title holder.

No, when he fought Filho at 185 he verbally tapped then lied about it. When Filho was 189 or whatever and they fought, he won, however that was a Filho at LHW and Filho was the MW champion not the LHW champion so he didn't win the belt and he's not a champion.

He is undefeated and undisputed champ of the UFCs MW and LHW divisions.

He's technically not the WEC champion, but we all know what happened.
If Lutter had beat Anderson, we would have considered him the champion as well.

I wouldn't. It was Lutter who missed the weight. Chael had nothing to do with his becoming a non-title fight.

Back