Do we really need carbs?

dragon50

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before the advent of agriculture, our caveman ancestors ate mostly protein and fat. They had almost zero carbohydrates. They might have had some access to wild berries or fruits, however, their diet consisted mainly of animals that they killed.

The cavemen got along just fine with this low and sometimes zero carb diet. In fact, they were in great shape, as they hunted and killed animals much larger than themselves.

So, I ask the question, can we live withour carbs at all?

it's probably possible.. but i'm sure it wouldn't be healthy.. man, haven't u watched those discovery channel specials? :rolleyes: ... our "caveman" ancestors were nomads.. females stayed back at camp and gathered berries and veggies from local plants and socialized, while the males hunted... they didn't solely eat meat as what if the men couldn't catch anything?.. hunting wasn't their primary source of food (although their lifestyle depended on it since they're nomadic and followed the wild game)

in other words.. carbs are important! :wink:

how can you possibly say cavemen lived without carbs? in all probability, vegetables and fruits were a huge part of their diet

i dont think a HUGE part , but yes a component of the diet , i think , and also for what ive read , that in periods were there were no food at all , i mean , after those huge snows , and extreme temperatures , the only food available was from animals, so .. protein and fat , in good seasons , yes , fruits , and vegies were part of the diet , but still , the MAIN part was without a doubt , protein and fat.
The big portions of fat also helped the man to survive when there were no food at all , thing that with carbs would be a lot harder...
and speaking in scientific words ... carbs are NOT strictly necessary, but protein and fat yes ...

dragon50 said:
Before the advent of agriculture, our caveman ancestors ate mostly protein and fat. They had almost zero carbohydrates. They might have had some access to wild berries or fruits, however, their diet consisted mainly of animals that they killed.

The cavemen got along just fine with this low and sometimes zero carb diet. In fact, they were in great shape, as they hunted and killed animals much larger than themselves.

the eskimos are a more recent example.
Just go on Atkins already.

I should delete this thread out of sheer stupidity. But number one, NO ONE is 100% familiar with the lifestyle of cavemen. We haven't even had sufficient caveman remains to draw conclusions on their bodily processes.

Number two one of the most consistent things over the course of human History that we know of is AGRICULTURE. Sure there have been people in places of Earth where Agriculture is not a mainstay, but they are hardly in the majority.

dragon50 said:

My guess is that if you takede to the cavemen that were offended by being called cavemen in that TV commercial you did not get accurate information.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, your body has evolved from what we consider the average caveman. Comparing a caveman's theoretical diet to our diet is just stupid.

Even though you can lose weight on Atkins (I went from 210 to 160), you cannot stay on it forever, not even the maintenance level. Within 9 months, I shot back up to 225, my highest weight ever. Now, through diet and regular exercise, I am back down to ~200.

Would you die if you went on a zero carb diet? Probably not, your body can generate glucose from fat and protein. Is it a good idea, especially if you are interested in maximizing athletic performance? Absolutely not. All of the cells in your body burn glucose as fuel, and the easiest place to get that is carbs. If you are not eating carbs then you have to break down the protein in your muscles to generate glucose. You would constantly be breaking down your body's cells in order to generate glucose. Not a good state to be in to perform well.

Ask anybody who went on a low carb/ no carb diet. They felt like crap, couldn't train hard, and lost muscle mass.

As Kabuki indicated we have a history with ag now. We have been eating a high percentage of our diet in carbs for the last few thousand years. To completely do away with carbs would be turning your back on this dietary evolution. Just eat carbs with a lower glycemic load and you will be ok.

What about rice, grain, wheat, corn? Those were consumed a ton. It seems like man might have evolved a bit since caveman times and maybe diet has been a factor of that.

Also, you could survive without protein, you can survive without fat and you can survive without carbs. Well, with protein you do need your essential aminos, besides that you'll be ok. Not optimal, but ok. You can survive on water, beer and beer nuts for a lot longer than one would think.

Lastly a memeber on here once said "You asked the question because it sounded stupid, and it is so don't do it." Now, I"m paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

Rjkd12 said:
Also, you could survive without protein, you can survive without fat and you can survive without carbs. Well, with protein you do need your essential aminos, besides that you'll be ok. Not optimal, but ok. You can survive on water, beer and beer nuts for a lot longer than one would think.

i'd have to disagree.. ur brain is made of fat.. and if u didn't take in any fat (especially omega-3's).. u'll probably have mental disorders and die at an early age.. :icon_chee

i suppose u can IF and only if u supplement a multi-vitamin, fiber, greens, whey protein powder, and omega-3's! :wink:

King Kabuki said:
I should delete this thread out of sheer stupidity. But number one, NO ONE is 100% familiar with the lifestyle of cavemen. We haven't even had sufficient caveman remains to draw conclusions on their bodily processes.

Number two one of the most consistent things over the course of human History that we know of is AGRICULTURE. Sure there have been people in places of Earth where Agriculture is not a mainstay, but they are hardly in the majority.

And more than just this, we know that culture evolves man faster than evolution does; so any attempt to investigate our "natural" diet is flawed from the onset because of culture, and therefore impossible.

So instead of looking at cavemen, dragon, why not look at the other primates? Almost every other primate lives on a 98% vegetarian diet.

That's a pet peeve on all these low-carb diets masquerading as man's natural diet. BS. Man is by nature (probably) predisposed to a high-carb, low-protein vegetarian diet.

Yes, yes, disappointing, I know, where this road leads. Past the fads...

AND ONTO HARD WORK.

Rjkd12 said:
You can survive on water, beer and beer nuts for a lot longer than one would think.

"You only need two things to survive: coconut milk and sunlight."

You guys know which movie that's from?

b0b said:
Even though you can lose weight on Atkins (I went from 210 to 160), you cannot stay on it forever, not even the maintenance level. Within 9 months, I shot back up to 225, my highest weight ever.

This is what low-carb diets most commonly do. This is the norm.

Think about that, shortcutters.

No idea what movie. A quick search on google came up with nothing.

I do know I want a PM from you regarding a post you made in the multimedia forum.

I lost about 25 lbs in one month of Atkins. I also lost 70 lbs off of my bench press and 15 lbs off of my dumbell curl. It took me about 5 months to get back to where I was before going on, but I was able to keep the weight off with a real diet and lots of exercise.

Rjkd12 said:
No idea what movie. A quick search on google came up with nothing.

I do know I want a PM from you regarding a post you made in the multimedia forum.

Midnight Cowboy.

You need a PM? It's "Naked Babe Fight" at Spiked Humor, you bastard.

finnegan said:
I lost about 25 lbs in one month of Atkins. I also lost 70 lbs off of my bench press and 15 lbs off of my dumbell curl. It took me about 5 months to get back to where I was before going on, but I was able to keep the weight off with a real diet and lots of exercise.

Please get that word out. People need to hear this. You only lose muscle on low-carb shit.

In fact, I'm starting a thread.

Back