Do people really like Alice in Chains?

AIC was badass, and even now with the new singer, they can put together some good tunes. that band was more about jerry than it was about layne. unique sound and feel, very different than the rest of the grunge bands they often get lumped in with.

Is Nirvana's later work such as In Utero considered grunge?
For sure. Grunge isn't really a style of music. More just a catch-all for Seattle bands and some related acts who wore flannel and did horse.

For sure. Grunge isn't really a style of music. More just a catch-all for Seattle bands and some related acts who wore flannel and did horse.
grunge
ɡrənj/
noun
noun: grunge; noun: grunge rock; plural noun: grunge rocks
  1. 1.
    grime; dirt.
  2. 2.
    a style of rock music characterized by a raucous guitar sound and lazy vocal delivery.
    • the fashion associated with grunge rock, including loose, layered clothing and ripped

Depressing music is the best. Only poor people like happy music. Howard Stern said it best.

As someone who lives in a neighborhood of mostly Latin American immigrants, Howard nailed it. The music they listen to is terrible. All of it. They blast it all summer long at their parties, and shit, there's not a single tolerable song. It all sounds the same, too.

do you even grunge? Dirt doesn't have a bad song on it.

Alice In Chains fucking rule

never got much else in to grunge, alot of it is boring and lame to me

but AIC...holy fuck

Alice In Chains fucking rule

never got much else in to grunge, alot of it is boring and lame to me

but AIC...holy fuck
See, I don't view them as grunge too much. I think they were just a metal/hard rock group.
Maybe I say that because I dislike those groups they considered grunge back then.

If you dont like this song,you got no fuckin soul,fuck you,souless fucks

When I read the thread title, I came in here to post the Unplugged version of Nutshell and to say something similar. It's a tragically beautiful song.

Love AiC but Staley gets way too much credit. Cantrell basically wrote everything they did and sung just as much as Staley did.

I don't buy that as an argument. I think the "Who let the dogs out" guys went platinum. Sometimes it's all about the timing.

I personally didn't like Alice In Chains but I'm not hating on anyone that does. I'm more wondering if they are standing the test of time or were they just popular in the early-mid 90's.
I grew up in the 90s, but oddly enough I didn't get into them until fairly recently. I'd say they've withstood the test of time. Obviously they're not as big as they would be if Layne had kicked the habit and stayed alive, but they're doing alright. They're one of my top 10 favorite bands and I don't usually like that genre/era of music as much as classic rock.

Love AiC but Staley gets way too much credit. Cantrell basically wrote everything they did and sung just as much as Staley did.
I think I'd give Layne a little more credit than you do, but you raise a good point. Jerry wrote the music, a lot of the lyrics, sang beautiful harmonies and even lead. And people in this thread are like "it was LAYNE'S band, why are they even trying anymore?" No. Just no. Jerry was like the Jimmy Page to Layne's Robert Plant. He deserves more credit than that.

I think I'd give Layne a little more credit than you do, but you raise a good point. Jerry wrote the music, a lot of the lyrics, sang beautiful harmonies and even lead. And people in this thread are like "it was LAYNE'S band, why are they even trying anymore?" No. Just no. Jerry was like the Jimmy Page to Layne's Robert Plant. He deserves more credit than that.

People hear some of Jerrys solo work and think it's AiC..... 'nuff said

Dirt is one of my top 5 favourite albums of all time.

He wrote a lot, but the songs came together post writing. Jerry's solo stuff and the new AIC do not sound enough like classic AIC to think that Layne didn't make enough of a difference (and I don't just mean his voice). Layne brought a much darker and more emotional feel to the songs, and you can tell what he brought by listening to the songs he is credited with writing in AIC in conjunction with his work in Mad Season. If you listen to I Don't Know Anything off Mad Season's first album it sounds like classic sludgy dark AIC stuff, if you took away the vocal track you would still think it's AIC. While Jerry's stuff sans Lane has those AIC touches it just sounds more generic, without the emotional or atmospheric heft, which is why they worked so well together, because they brought out the best in one another musically.

Back