• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do I really need to lift weights in order to be able to fight someone?

woloo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Why people emphasize on bench press, deadlifts and squats to beat someone?

It's the wrestling strength we need. Some people have big forearms and can beat you in mercy. No matter if you bench press more than them, they will still beat you in a fight.

Comments?

Look, it is not neccessary. But being strong to a degree supplements well the skill. Additionaly injury prevention and all the positives from weight lifting.

So do you need to lift weights -no. But it has benefits and you better utilise them.

you are probably really weak.

I would overhead press and throw you across the room, hypothetically, if you tried that "wrestling" on me

High reps body weigh squats had helped me with my leg endurance in the ring.

Anything outside of your core skill training are tools to be utilised to work on your weak areas.
They do not replace the need for the core skill.

A decent bench press uses a strong back as a platform anyway, so the bench press is a decent measure of upper body strength even if pulling is more important generally in MMA (what with the hands being used to manipulate the opponent prioritising grip etc).

Will the strength from the big three carry over to grappling? Yes. Are they all a grappler/fighter need train in terms of resistance, no, other exercises like loaded carries, weighted chin ups, military, rows etc are all good as well but doing the big three certainly won’t hurt.

I’m pretty sure Francis could throw up a decent total and we know jones has a solid dead too. Being strong is definitely an advantage in mma and the big three are some of the best ways to increase your strength...

It's the wrestling strength we need. Some people have big forearms and can beat you in mercy. No matter if you bench press more than them, they will still beat you in a fight.

Comments?

Seriously, how old are you??

Just add weight to your wrists and ankles as you train. Progressively increase the weight throughout the year as it gets easier.

Strength development is useful, as long as you don't take away from sport specific training. Probably more important for guys that are intimidated by Mahailya Reeves.

What do you mean by "fight someone"? A fight in a ring/cage, or a brawl?

Minimum you need to bench teh 275, however if you bench bout tree fiddy you are pretty much ready for the UFC.

Zumba is a good starting point.

But for real, strength and conditioning are ways to supplement your skilled training in order to become a more complete competitor. Skilled training should always take priority. Once your skills are on par with the competition, then things like strength, speed, endurance, and flexibility can be big difference makers. It'll make your skills that much more effective.

Last edited:

Comments?
Because the average person is a weakling and needs a structured weight training routine to compete. Guys like Karelin and Mijain Lopez don't need to because they were born strong enough to tear open a bull with their bare hands. It will take a person like you several lifetimes in the gym to match the neuromuscular contractility that comes naturally to them. Now consider their superior bone structure and endless technique drilling and you can see how wide the gap is.

IMO, the two best ways to demonstrate genetic potential is grip strength and standing jump (vertical, horizontal or box). If you can not hold onto ~405 lbs double overhand (no hook) after a year of training, then you are genetically weak.

You don't need to strength train to fight.

Being stronger will make you a better fighter, though.

Back