• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do I really need to lift weights in order to be able to fight someone?

Can you answer my first question as well as my second and I'll be in a better position to respond.

Add weight to your extremities when skills training. Punching, kicking, choking. You'll become much stronger at those that way.

Add weight to your extremities when skills training. Punching, kicking, choking. You'll become much stronger at those that way.

Punching- You want the resistance against you, not pulling you down. At best, heavy gloves for shoulder endurance.
Kicking- As above

With both of the above, the effort is in the wrong dimension to the force being generated. If anything, you want resistance bands but that would be effectively sets and reps and works in resisting the plane in which you are generating the force.

What you have suggested has been done before, but predominately not for power generation but for other reasons.

Choking- I'm not sure how that would work, not being a ground guy I'm not sure how you could add resistance through static weight attachment. I'll defer to someone with more expertise.

With kicking and punching, you would potentially do damage to your the elbow and knee socket as you couldn't develop maximal force without risking hyper extending a joint and by limiting the force generated you are effectively training yourself to operate slower.

Looks like Paul Buentello vs. Mariuz Pudzianowski

Punching- You want the resistance against you, not pulling you down. At best, heavy gloves for shoulder endurance.
Kicking- As above

With both of the above, the effort is in the wrong dimension to the force being generated. If anything, you want resistance bands but that would be effectively sets and reps and works in resisting the plane in which you are generating the force.

What you have suggested has been done before, but predominately not for power generation but for other reasons.

Choking- I'm not sure how that would work, not being a ground guy I'm not sure how you could add resistance through static weight attachment. I'll defer to someone with more expertise.

With kicking and punching, you would potentially do damage to your the elbow and knee socket as you couldn't develop maximal force without risking hyper extending a joint and by limiting the force generated you are effectively training yourself to operate slower.

I am awaiting a response

I am awaiting a response
Hi @Ian Coe this is to inform you that I was merely trolling you. I know! I'm a terrible person. I ran out motivation to continue this conversation as I have way more important things to do than to trigger you. You seem like a nice fellow, with a great future ahead of yourself. Please continue to spread the good word of the Dog in all you do!

You gotta feel for the big guy, what a mismatch. The other guy could actually fight a little and obviously had some experience. Commentators are typical idiots giving the big guy shit because he didn't want anymore of it, which is completely understandable. He simply didn't know what to do. Ref should have stepped in earlier imo.

Hi @Ian Coe this is to inform you that I was merely trolling you. I know! I'm a terrible person. I ran out motivation to continue this conversation as I have way more important things to do than to trigger you. You seem like a nice fellow, with a great future ahead of yourself. Please continue to spread the good word of the Dog in all you do!

Righty ho. At least you ended it soonish

I'm not sure about spread the good word of the dog. I'm 36 and been training regardless of my involvement of sherdog.

All the best.

For fighting purposes I would always choose faster over stronger.

You gotta feel for the big guy, what a mismatch. The other guy could actually fight a little and obviously had some experience. Commentators are typical idiots giving the big guy shit because he didn't want anymore of it, which is completely understandable. He simply didn't know what to do. Ref should have stepped in earlier imo.
big guy should not have signed up for that beat down lol. all those deficit deadlifts sure helped big boy out lol.

As a supplement if you're not really athletically gifted (I.E. your genes).

Spend more time honing your craft (skills).

Personally Im mostly about Calisthenics as well as barbell and dumbbell complexes.

I'm also a big fan of Nick Curson and his approaches to S & C.

Righty ho. At least you ended it soonish

I'm not sure about spread the good word of the dog. I'm 36 and been training regardless of my involvement of sherdog.

All the best.
*fist bump*

No you don't. I lift weights. And spar.

Just work out for starters.

Do you have a gym membership ?

You don't need to strength train to fight.

Being stronger will make you a better fighter, though.

Not if you don't got balls or don't train the fighting aspect of fighting.

Well it makes you better compared to not working out.

Main criteria for street fights is balls.

Everyone worrying bout the guy who looks crazy not the guy who is fit. Now if you are big and look crazy even more so. If you big and look soft you are just soft

Nothing is required, but lifting helps overall strength and squats/deadlifts help tremendously with burst. If the fight ends up in the grappling realm that is hurt. Not necessary, but absolutely helps if you know what to do with the strength. As we always see in MMA though, it only takes one punch regardless. You chances of pulling that punch or kick off increase with strength and technique.

Back