Do graphic novels have enough content to be interesting to adults?

Faith Fighter**

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've read about some of the more famous graphic novels and they sound pretty fascinating to me. I've been tempted to try them out, but I always if there will be enough text and content to be interesting to an adult.

What say you? What would you recommend as some of the better Marvel or DC graphic novels?

I've read about some of the more famous graphic novels and they sound pretty fascinating to me. I've been tempted to try them out, but I always if there will be enough text and content to be interesting to an adult.

What say you? What would you recommend as some of the better Marvel or DC graphic novels?

yes of course, some have made best sellers, the Walking Dead is on fire in the graphic novel business

usually the universal answers are Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Walking Dead, Fables, Sandman

check out the comic book discussion thread sometime

The Watchmen makes it on lists of best of any literature.

THE ULTIMATES Book 1 and 2 by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch

- Marvel's modern reimagining of the Avengers' origin. It's gritty, realistic, funny, and thoroughly entertaining. Noticed how the Hulk comes to town or a city and destroys it but with no human casualty? F*ck that shit. This Hulk version kills 800 people in Manhattan in just a few minutes. Book 1 volume 2 is the best when the team defend against an alien invasion. Warning: Stay away from Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, it's total crap.

100590-18327-107330-1-ultimates_super.jpg

Will back up this claim, the Ultimates is/was awesome.

Got through Ultimates Vol 1 and 2 over the past week or so, those were freakin fantastic.

Finally got around to reading Ultimates 3. Now I know what all the fuss was about. Only good thing in that train-wreck is a silhouette of Scarlet Witch's mother, Magda.

Hippie Thor, republican Captain America and playboy drunk Tony (the movie version is closer to ultimate than how he usually is/was in regular MU) is what makes the ultimates great.

I enjoyed all the characters and their dynamics in the first two volumes myself. Pretty epic.

Ultimates vol 1 and 2 are must reads. It's an awesome book.

I just started reading The Ultimates vol. 1 like this thread recommends. The Ultimates vol. 1 and vol. 2 was the shit! Man, why can't Mark Millar write stories like this anymore? I mean, I liked Kick-Ass and all, but this was fucking awesome! I liked Ultimates vol. 1 story as a whole, but I like the final battle in Ultimates vol. 2 better. Felt bad for Banner in both books. Made for an awesome redemption story later. Hulk was pretty fucking hilarious. I loved the Hulk.

So, I've been on a total Ultimate-binge recently. Can't believe I haven't read anything of it before. Goddamn awesome stuff. So, regarding The Ultimates and Ultimate Avengers. I fucking love Captain America! He's the bees tits.

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by Frank Miller

- The book that revolutionized the comic book industry. Writer extraordinaire Frank Miller told the pen-ultimate Batman story during 1986 where a 55-year old Bruce Wayne comes out of his decade-retirement to become Gotham City's champion once again.

Batman_-_Dark_Knight_Returns_1.jpg

BATMAN: YEAR ONE by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli

After the success of The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller goes on a 180 and tells the origin of Batman and James Gordon. The story is so fantastic that many have accepted as a canon. This might be a Batman book but James Gordon steals the show with his tale of battling police corruption as well as his own immoral dilemma.

2712_400x600.jpg

DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli

- The best Daredevil story (in some cases, best story period) ever told. It's about Daredevil fall after the Kingpin discovers his true identity and how DD rebuilds himself and his beloved city. Before Frank Miller changed the comic book landscape with The Dark Knight Returns, he first re-invented Daredevil. From being a joke, made him into Marvel's most popular character.

ess09big.jpg

ELEKTRA: ASSASSIN by Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz

- A trippy psychedelic action adventure starring Marvel's popular anti-heroine. It starts out very confusing but stick with it and it'll reward you with the most wildest politically incorrect action-packed book during that time.

24327-3630-27082-1-elektra-assassin_super.jpg

KINGDOM COME by Mark Waid and Alex Ross

- Set some twenty years into the future of the then-current DC Universe, it deals with a growing conflict between "traditional" superheroes, such as Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Justice League, and a growing population of largely amoral and dangerously irresponsible new vigilantes. Between these two groups is Batman and his assembled team, who attempt to contain the escalating disaster, foil the machinations of Lex Luthor, and prevent a world-ending superhuman war.

Kingdom_Come_TP.jpg

OLD MAN LOGAN by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven

- Set over fifty years in the future in which the world's supervillains band together to finally kill all the superheroes. An older Wolverine, who is now a pacifist and content in raising his family on a farm, is forced to accompany a blind Hawkeye to pay off the Hulk hillbilly clan for the land's rent. The duo travel across a post-apocalyptic America to deliver a secret package that might give the good guys a fighting chance to reclaim the country. Also the best road trip comic book ever made.

file_7_27.jpg

Uh, yeah DL. You weren't kidding. Old Man Logan was fuckin' AWESOME. Tons of fun. I haven't liked McNiven's art in some other stuff but it was perfect for the tone of this series.

OML was awesome.

Millar's 'Old Man Logan' on the otherhand was the tits.

Old Man Logan is awesome.

Old Man Logan is very good.

WATCHMEN by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons

- Hailed as the greatest graphic novel of all time, Watchmen has had a staying power in the realm of comics for quite some time. It is thought of as not just a comic, but literature and has been used in college courses and been the source of discussions the world over. This comic officially helped end the age of comic innocence and ushered in a new thought of how comic books could be told and presented to the world.

Watchmen-Cover.jpg

FABLES by Bill Willingham and various artists

- Fables is an excellent series in the tradition of Sandman, one that rewards careful attention and loyalty. The series deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklore – referring to themselves as "Fables" – who have been forced out of their Homelands by "The Adversary" who has conquered the realm. The Fables have traveled to our world and formed a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown.

2008_01-dc127.jpg

FREAKANGELS by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield

- FreakAngels is a free weekly webcomic created by Eagle Award-winning writer Warren Ellis. The story: 23 years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same moment. 6 years ago, the world ended. This is the story of what happened next. Amazing detailed characters, terrific group dynamics, hilarious, and most important of all it's FREE! Go to freakangels.com

fa01.jpg

PREACHER by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon

- The story follows an ex-preacher man, Jesse, who has become disgusted with God’s abandoning of His responsibilities. So Jesse starts off into the wilds of Texas with his hitman girlfriend and new best friend (a vampire) to find God so that he can give Him a piece of his mind. Despite its superficial perversity, this book contains what may be the most moral character in mainstream comics.

preacher-comic-cover.jpg

PUNISHER MAX by Garth Ennis and various artists

- Now famous volume noted for Garth Ennis writing. It was critically acclaimed, cited for its realistic, uncompromising stories. Taking advantage of the freedom of a MAX setting, Ennis explored concepts of violence and revenge and how they spiral out of Frank Castle's quest to affect everyone around him.

punishermax.jpg

I would suggest starting with Watchmen but it will set the bar incredibly high for you. It's got more content than any movie and most books. You'll love it if you know what's good for you.

I tried reading some Alien and Predator comics. Eventually I came to the conclusion that comics just aren't my thing. It's a shame because they are really something I should enjoy reading.

Daredevil titles are almost always really good, as is Batman: The long halloween
the recent uncanny x-force series is great too

My favourites (in no particular order)

Sandman
Sin City
The Dark Knight Returns
Preacher
The Watchmen
Fables
Y- The Last Man

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you just want straight up "adult literature" kind of stuff, the Vertigo library is the place to start. Sandman, Fables, Y The Last Man, Transmetropolitan, and Invisibles are all great for new readers.

For contemporary stuff, Image is killing it right now. I would HIGHLY recommend Saga, if you're into space opera stuff like Star Wars. They've also got the Walking Dead if you're into zombies, plus titles that cover just about everything.

If you're looking for entertaining stuff that's kind of crazy superhero stuff then Nextwave is a great pick-up.

And if you're into crime fiction, I'd recommend Warren Ellis' series called Fell (fantastic), Criminal by Ed Brubaker, and the Parker collections by Darwyn Cooke.

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you just want straight up "adult literature" kind of stuff, the Vertigo library is the place to start. Sandman, Fables, Y The Last Man, Transmetropolitan, and Invisibles are all great for new readers.

For contemporary stuff, Image is killing it right now. I would HIGHLY recommend Saga, if you're into space opera stuff like Star Wars. They've also got the Walking Dead if you're into zombies, plus titles that cover just about everything.

If you're looking for entertaining stuff that's kind of crazy superhero stuff then Nextwave is a great pick-up.

And if you're into crime fiction, I'd recommend Warren Ellis' series called Fell (fantastic), Criminal by Ed Brubaker, and the Parker collections by Darwyn Cooke.

Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations.

I recommend Love and Rockets, it's brilliant, funny, and witty

great art as well

Lots of graphic novels are geared towards adults.

James-Gordon-Badass-600x255.jpg

Blackest night series. I don't believe I'm wrong in setting its a graphic novel. It's amazing.

If you want some real quality reads that break out of the usual superhero universe, then I recommend these:

alcoholic.jpg

"Jonathan A. is a boozed-up, coked-out, sexually confused, hopelessly romantic and, of course, entirely fictional novelist who bears only a coincidental resemblance to real-life writer Jonathan Ames, critically acclaimed author of Wake Up, Sir!, The Extra Man and What's Not to Love? For the fictional Jonathan, writing and drinking come easy. The hard parts of life are love and hope. From a touching relationship between Jonathan and his aging great aunt, to an inebriated evening with an amorous, octogenarian dwarf, to the devastating aftermath of 9/11, Ames's first original graphic novel, with gritty, poignant art by Dean Haspiel (THE QUITTER), tells a story at once hilarious, excruciating, bizarre and universal, about how our lives fall to pieces and the enduring human struggle to put things back together again."

lobster.jpg

"LOBSTER RANDOM — GM freak, mechaphile, ex-soldier, torture-for-hire and intergalactic criminal — is facing execution on Death Row when he's busted out of prison by a gang of mercs with a mission. Their mysterious boss has ordered them to steal a highly prized object, and they need Random's unique interrogation techniques to get what they want.

See, Lob's an expert on pain — not only is he accomplished in dishing it out, but he's been genetically engineered by the military to never feel the slightest twinge. It's a mental state that's left him hovering on the brink of psychosis — and events are about to tip him over the edge..."

Lobster Random has three or four books, all very entertaining.

You may also want to pick up the Punisher MAX series. The ones written by Garth Ennis are really good. Well written with great art. Extremely gritty and violent.

Stuff that will appeal to adults:

Watchmen
Preacher
Punisher MAX
Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing
Daredevil: Born Again
Chew

Most of this stuff has already been said, but they're all enjoyable.

the graphic novel medium has a whole fucking lot to offer. it's so unrestricted in form that it allows a lot of talented story writers to experiment with their craft in a variety of ways. there are some moffuggin GENIUSES that write graphic novels. it's almost like, fuck books. where them awesome pictures at?

my personal favorites are the non-super hero ones.

100 Bullets (amazing)
Transmetropolitan
DMZ
Scalped
Gotham Central (based on the police force w/ barely any Batman)

More recommendations if you're looking for better variety:

Hellboy: A great blend of mythology, horror, and pulp action. The art is incredible.

Infinite Kung Fu: If you're into Shaw Bros. films or enjoy martial arts flicks in general, this is 400+ pages of kung fu goodness.

Grant Morrison's Batman run: Starts with Batman & Son and ends with Batman Inc. If you're into Batman then the Morrison run is the definition of epic. Not for everyone though.

Unwritten: Great series about storytelling, literature, etc. I make the premise sound boring, but it's a great book.

Orc Stain: Absolutely insane fantasy book. Example: the currency that Orcs use are orc dicks.

Back