• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do boxers have better chin then mma fighters?

After the punches Wach took.... safe to say that guy is the next Chuvalo.

Wach had impressive endurance.

Cerrone always seems like he can take a punch.

Boxers get hit all the damn time, certainly more often then MMA fighters. If anything, they will have weaker chins due to the punishment they must sustain throughout their career. Kinda like how Chuck Liddels once formidable chin became glass after suffering a couple of brutal knockouts.

Did Chuck ever have that good of a chin though?

who was really testing it back then?
Mind you, I was pretty much done with mma in 2004.
But prior to that.... fighting a guy like Jeremy Horn who probably punches like a kitten pawing at the air isn't going to show you too much.

When he fought Metzger in Pride I was impressed that he got back up.... but he got flattened for a second there against Metzger. If Metzger had sense to him he could have finished him off.

Apart from Metzger did anyone test it that much?

Certainly not Ortiz.

Ortiz's punches were silly. They looked like a wrestler's punch.

You haven't watched MMA since 2004? Wtf?

They're probably talking about when Liddell was King of the UFC.

Could it be that mma fighters are cutting more weight, so more dehydration which means more likely to be KO'd?

Did Chuck ever have that good of a chin though?

who was really testing it back then?
Mind you, I was pretty much done with mma in 2004.
But prior to that.... fighting a guy like Jeremy Horn who probably punches like a kitten pawing at the air isn't going to show you too much.

When he fought Metzger in Pride I was impressed that he got back up.... but he got flattened for a second there against Metzger. If Metzger had sense to him he could have finished him off.
Mezger, Overeem and Rampage. Especially the Mezger and Rampage fights. It might not stack up to the greatest chins in Boxing but it was a good chin.

Mezger, Overeem and Rampage. Especially the Mezger and Rampage fights. It might not stack up to the greatest chins in Boxing but it was a good chin.

Rampage, Mezger and Overeem have less than 50% of their wins by KO.

But they had dynamite in their fists right? And I acknowledge Overeems subs.

Rampage knocked the shit out of him as I recall.

Could it be that mma fighters are cutting more weight, so more dehydration which means more likely to be KO'd?

Contributing factor, for sure. Electrolytes and minerals are vital to CNS function. A deficiency will allow for you to get sparked out quicker.

That all said, I don't think the typical MMA fighter cuts more weight than the typical boxer or vice-versa. Some boxers cut a ton, some MMA fighters cut a ton. Some boxers cut next to nothing, some MMA fighters cut next to nothing.

Having a chin is a more important attribute in boxing so obviously that trait would be selected for and on average successful boxers would have better chins than successful MMA fighters

Common sense

That all said, I don't think the typical MMA fighter cuts more weight than the typical boxer or vice-versa. Some boxers cut a ton, some MMA fighters cut a ton. Some boxers cut next to nothing, some MMA fighters cut next to nothing.
Just think of how many different weight classes there are in boxing compared to MMA. If you're 200lbs are you going to fight at 185 in MMA? Might be a little small, whereas if you drained yourself a bit and got to 170 you'd be a big guy for the division. If you were a boxer you could get to 175, still be a good size and be healthier for it. These numbers aren't important, it just illustrates a point.

I also think natural selection is at play here. Back in the day, Dave Menne was able to become a Top 10 ranked 185 lbs'er and the inaugral UFC MW champion despite having a glass chin and a serious problem with his eyesight(dude was fighting half-blind while he was in the UFC and only got laser treatment later on) because he could cover up those particular vulnerabilities through other skills and fight strategies.

In boxing, anyone whose chin is not up to snuff is going to be weeded out of the talent pool MUCH earlier, probably before even having the chance of going pro.

agreed, what an appropriate username as well

If you're a high level boxer, you're much more likely to have a good chin than a high level MMA fighter simply because, as another poster stated, in order to get to the top of boxing you need at least a decent chin (whereas in MMA it is not nearly as necessary).

People don't realize sometimes it's not chin it's defense.

But mma and boxer chins there's no way to prove though I have taken kicks and knees to the head its a lot harder then any punch

You haven't watched MMA since 2004? Wtf?

I started watching as soon as they were on PPV... like 92.

It might have been 2003.
I became more of a fan of Pride. UFCs for a long time were boring. This was pre-TUF.

Back