• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do boxers have better chin then mma fighters?

I saw a Sports Science piece where they had Bas hit a heavybag with mma gloves, boxing gloves, and bare fisted and measured the force. The bare fist was by far the hardest but surprisingly the mma and boxing gloves landed with pretty close to the same amount of force.

Here it is for anyone who cares:

I will say that I think people who have been hit in the face alot will tend to take a punch better than people who aren't used to it. I don't think that's necessarily a better chin though. Alot of having a good chin seems to be mental. Also the exhaustion point somebody made above obviously has something to do with it too.

Gloves and guys having shitty defense contributes to more KO's in mma.

I honestly don't really believe in 'chin'. The guy with the best chin is the one that's never been tested because he avoids getting cleanly hit.

Obviously some guys are better at taking a punch than others, but outside of guys who've been ko'ed multiple times and are clearly shot, I don't really believe there is a huge discrepency.

Well chins exist. Plenty of guys have taken repeated bombs to the face from hard hitters.

Khan vs Margarito. Not a huge discrepancy?

I assume you ask because of all the one shot flash KOs in MMA?

A fighter has to learn to take a shot. You really can't just grit your teeth and be tough. You need to be able to see the shots coming.

Personally, and admittedly there are better people you could ask, I think a "chin" is more mental than anything. Some fighters are prepared for a war where they will get hit alot. Its the mentality. Its why Mexican fighters are known to take shots well, because they are prepared to get hit.

That said, sometimes you do see a boxer with the classic small chin and peanut shaped head (think Roy Jones) who you know just isn't going to take a shot well.

I don't think theres a simple answer to your question.

Sorry but this isnt true, like other aspects of sports , genetics play a part in chin, thats why mexicans being genetically similar would have better chins , just like people from african origins can jump higher

How about getting stronger neck that helps you to take a punch?

Brock Lesnar proved that boxing is for knubs and MMA superstars are not only completely punch resistant but also certainly not scared of being punched.

Sorry but this isnt true, like other aspects of sports , genetics play a part in chin, thats why mexicans being genetically similar would have better chins , just like people from african origins can jump higher

Not true at all.

I can post a hundred videos of Mexicans getting knocked out.

Not every African is Usain Bolt.

How about getting stronger neck that helps you to take a punch?

Many fighters think so. It stands to reason that it would help keep your head from thrashing around when you get hit if you have a strong neck.

On average of course... And forgive my ignorance in advance its just what i see.

Explain to me why am wrong.

does a wrestler have better takedowns than a boxer?

does a muay thai fighter have better kicks than a boxer?

does a bear shit in the woods?

to answer your question..... def=better chin, mma fighters=no def

show proof that you are right. where is your data to back up that boxers have better chins.

or is this another boxing/mma thread written by a fucking moron?

wheres your data to back up that wrestlers have better takedowns than boxers?

are you really asking a question like this. boxers take punches better to the chin, its no secret. just like wrestling have better grappling than boxers..... you're bringing that "wtf" look to my face right now

Better chins - no
Bigger gloves - yes

I hate this way of thinking. Pretty sure the extra padding on boxing gloves isn't over the knuckles so it makes little to no difference being hit with either boxing or MMA gloves.

And yes boxers do have better chins. In MMA you can get to the top without getting punched. In boxing you can't. Not to mention boxers have much more extensive amateur careers than cage fighters. It's really as simple answer. Yes boxers have better chins.

Are basketball players taller than baseball players? Does playing basketball makes you taller?

I dont think you can do anithing in boxing with at least a average chin. While you can be succesfull with a bad chin in mma if your other skill sets make for it, most succesful boxers would need good chins to help them stand from the pack.

Last edited:
wheres your data to back up that wrestlers have better takedowns than boxers?

are you really asking a question like this. boxers take punches better to the chin, its no secret. just like wrestling have better grappling than boxers..... you're bringing that "wtf" look to my face right now

The only difference I see is a TD is a learned move, while the chin is more of a "survival of the fittest natural asset" thing for boxers.

There is a slighter better chance a wrestler would have a superb chin than a boxer having great TD without extensive trainning in wrestling.

The only difference I see is a TD is a learned move, while the chin is more of a "survival of the fittest natural asset" thing for boxers.

There is a slighter better chance a wrestler would have a superb chin than a boxer having great TD without extensive trainning in wrestling.

(Unless Im missing something and you can actually train your chin by getting hit on it, but for the most part I hear that chins get worse after a fighter suffers their first KO).

While rolling doesnt count as a chin, boxers would be better at rolling their head with punches too.

edit: I quoted myself intead of editing

thats where ur wrong. being able to take a punch is something thats learned too. u think people r born with iron chins? anyman can get ko'd. boxers know how to take a punch better.

They would have to. On one hand you have guys who get hit in the face reguarly, on the other you have guys who for the most part come from grappling backgrounds.

But one wears 4oz gloves and the other wears pillows.

a2079201262f466bff1575_m.jpg

But one wears 4oz gloves and the other wears pillows.

which situation do you think you will be able to punch harder? bareknuckle or your hands wrapped like a cast with 8oz gloves made with horsehair?

boxing gloves are made to protect the fighters hands, not the opponents face

one knows how to make someone miss. the other doesnt.

why you think fighters like anderson silva who have such great defense are considered to have "iron chins"

how about nick diaz. he trains boxing extensively and knows how to take a punch well cause he's sparring with top pro boxers. and his defense is very underrated. he can make you miss and pay

Back