• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do boxers have better chin then mma fighters?

No major pain difference lol - what about power difference? Getting kicked in the face hurts a lot more than getting punched in the face by someone wearing gloves.

This discussion depends totally on the individual fighter - to lump a whole sports fighters in is kinda silly. In my opinion if boxers fought with MMA gloves most fights wouldn't last 4 rounds.

Yup, we'd get too many broken hands.

I assume you ask because of all the one shot flash KOs in MMA?

A fighter has to learn to take a shot. You really can't just grit your teeth and be tough. You need to be able to see the shots coming.

Personally, and admittedly there are better people you could ask, I think a "chin" is more mental than anything. Some fighters are prepared for a war where they will get hit alot. Its the mentality. Its why Mexican fighters are known to take shots well, because they are prepared to get hit.

That said, sometimes you do see a boxer with the classic small chin and peanut shaped head (think Roy Jones) who you know just isn't going to take a shot well.

I don't think theres a simple answer to your question.

You really can't just grit your teeth and be tough. I did not know that. some one should till this guy that
Kaz.jpg

MMA fighters simply do not know how to protect their chins. Boxers know how to tuck behind their shoulders, slip a punch, keep their hands up and move their heads,

My post wins as the most informed, aware and substansive on the subject.

To add: The #1 rule in boxing is this "Keep you hands up, your chin down and your ass off the canvas"..... MMA fighters do none of these.

I believe boxers who go on to become world champions spend years learning how to deflect punches off their gloves and forearms. Boxers also learn how to roll with punches. By doing so they take a lot of the sting off their opponents punches. A great defensive fighter who utilizes these tactics almost to an art form is Floyd Mayweather.

I believe MMA will evolve and these boxing skills will be adopted in MMA as well. Already we see fighters like Anderson Silva who trained with Freddy Roach and trained pure boxing. Anderson is one of the few MMA champions I have seen roll with punches like boxers do. Just look at his last fight where he dropped his hands and let his opponent take a free swing at him.

This is why boxers appear to have better chins. They are masters at deflecting punches and rolling with punches. The truth is that there sport requires them to master these skills in order to succeed. In MMA, you can shoot a single leg take down if you don' t want to stand with a superior striker. There is no such luxury in boxing. However, as MMA continues to evolve we will start to see MMA champions with world class boxing skills. JDS and Anderson are a glimpse into the future of MMA.

Back