DJ to DC about fighting TJ: If I got the same paycheck you did....then it's a whole different story

Can't really blame DJ. He's not fighting to please us sherdoggers. It's his career, his family, and his finances. He's obviously not ducking TJ, but I do think he's chosen to not budge to the UFC demands - and the UFC has a pretty damn good track record of being cunts, especially in the WME-IMG-era.

It seems to be a question of him standing his ground instead of accepting peanuts to fight another champion from a higher weight-class.
Here is the thing, DJ is 100% free to choose. Then again, TJ, who makes 125 will be not so different from other guys DJ fought at 125. Cejudo had missed 125 pounds limit in his career. Borg missed weight twice in the UFC. DJ had no issues fighting those guys.

I’m with DJ on this one. DC is a company man in more ways than one - in not only propagating the Brock nonsense, but also toeing the party line whenever he’s on the microphone.

LOVED his reply to the Pound for Pound rankings comment by DC.

The UFC have treated DJ with contempt from day one, he's right to stand his ground, why should he make them more money by taking this fight if he's not gonna get his fair share?

People need to stop acting like entitled children and applaud DJ for taking a stand, and I say that as a guy who thinks outside of Conor vs Khabib it the best fight in MMA.

DJ knows he's not gonna get the same kinda money DC got, he's a realist, but if he has any chance of getting the kinda money that will set him up for life then he has to play the game like he is.

It's ridiculous to think that if he does the TJ fight for his normal contract they'll then pay him more to fight the contenders in his division. I'm very interested in the fight but if the UFC wants a champ vs champ fight they gotta pay for it. Garbrant said the same thing when asked about fighting DJ.
I'd honestly love to know why he should be paid differently to take the Tj fight? If Tj comes down to 125 why is it any different to any other fight Dj has ever taken? They should both be paid according to how well the fight sells like any other fight

Mighty mouse really needs to fight and finish someone bigger to get respect from the casuals, as sad as it is.

@jm814
All fighters negotiate for more when asked to do something outside the normal framework. Stipe got more when Cormier came to his division. Khabib's negotiating for more than his contract if he defends against Conor.
I think he deserves it too. He's the one taking all the risk. He's got the most defences ever, TJ just won the belt. If he loses he can't get a rematch and his division's devalued while if TJ loses he just goes back to BW and keeps getting paid champ money.

It would be a whole different story because it would mean MM actually promotes his fights like DC does

I'd honestly love to know why he should be paid differently to take the Tj fight? If Tj comes down to 125 why is it any different to any other fight Dj has ever taken? They should both be paid according to how well the fight sells like any other fight
You realize almost all top fighters renegotiate for big fights, when you have leverage, use it.

DJ is paying for being a company man for so long, never expect the UFC to do what's right out the goodness of their heart, hell, never expect any employer do what's right(I learned that the hard way myself), you gotta force the issue to get some respect from a guys like Dana.

Maybe he should fight the same calibre opponents first then. Instead of ducking them.
V0l2ZSW.gif

Should the guy who has defended the most titles out of any other champion not get paid more than Mark 'CTE' Hunt or CM Punk? If UFC cares about legitimacy they should pay him enough money to make the TJ fight happen.

No. He should get paid based upon how many people spend their money to watch his fights.

Not many people line up to watch what looks like 12-year-olds fight. I respect his talent, but you get paid based upon your financial worth to a company.

MM doesn't think hes getting DC money, he knows hes not thats why said IF I got the same as you I would fight TJ, but he knows he not so he says im done talking about it. But I don't feel bad for him because he could move up and fight TJ and atleast make more money then he is now

Super fights are really not that important. Look at GSP fighting in an extremely safe style to defend his belt and then cherry picking his super fight against an unlikely MW champion who everyone had bets, so to speak, against his days as champ. And still GSP is part of that P4P legacy dialogue, because obviously it's appropriate and he earned it. DJ is not only fighting anyone who steps up in his division, but he's typically finishing them in a style more impressive than most any champion in the sport, and he's been doing this a good while now. UFC needs to come up with numbers that make sense to him and their own stock in promoting his and Dillashaw's divisions, if they think this is the match that needs to happen. Meanwhile TJ is fighting an immediate rematch, which is totally unwarranted by the precedence set in his loss of the title to Dominic Cruz by contentious split decision.
Marlon Moraes is on deck tho. Winner of TJ x Cody 2 should be fighting him next. If anyone wants to drop down to 125 and pursue that hunt for DJ, it's there. TJ would be huge for that weight class, and despite whatever he says, there's no certain indication that he can safely cut the weight to make it. DJ is 5'3". He's fought for the title at 135lb and he knows he's too small for the class.

People that use the word “manlet” are morbidly obese and the same height as Tom Cruise.

You mean the tom cruise that has been a top box office star for the last 30 years...haha....doesn't seem to have hurt him much...does it?

Super fights are really not that important. Look at GSP fighting in an extremely safe style to defend his belt and then cherry picking his super fight against an unlikely MW champion who everyone had bets, so to speak, against his days as champ. And still GSP is part of that P4P legacy dialogue, because obviously it's appropriate and he earned it. DJ is not only fighting anyone who steps up in his division, but he's typically finishing them in a style more impressive than most any champion in the sport, and he's been doing this a good while now. UFC needs to come up with numbers that make sense to him and their own stock in promoting his and Dillashaw's divisions, if they think this is the match that needs to happen. Meanwhile TJ is fighting an immediate rematch, which is totally unwarranted by the precedence set in his loss of the title to Dominic Cruz by contentious split decision.
Marlon Moraes is on deck tho. Winner of TJ x Cody 2 should be fighting him next. If anyone wants to drop down to 125 and pursue that hunt for DJ, it's there. TJ would be huge for that weight class, and despite whatever he says, there's no certain indication that he can safely cut the weight to make it. DJ is 5'3". He's fought for the title at 135lb and he knows he's too small for the class.

That's the thing, TJ was gonna drop to 125 to fight DJ, but DJ refused and fought Ray Borg instead.

You realize almost all top fighters renegotiate for big fights, when you have leverage, use it.

DJ is paying for being a company man for so long, never expect the UFC to do what's right out the goodness of their heart, hell, never expect any employer do what's right(I learned that the hard way myself), you gotta force the issue to get some respect from a guys like Dana.
Majority aren't already the champion and get a percentage of ppv. This fight would 100% be the biggest pay day of his career i don't see why he wouldn't take it considering he doesn't bring in big numbers in any of his other fights

No. He should get paid based upon how many people spend their money to watch his fights.

Not many people line up to watch what looks like 12-year-olds fight. I respect his talent, but you get paid based upon your financial worth to a company.

It’s amazing that people still can’t understand that fighters are paid on how big of a draw they are, not how good they are

DJ has to man up, grow 9 inches and put on 80 pounds and stop being a midget...

Back