DJ to DC about fighting TJ: If I got the same paycheck you did....then it's a whole different story

DJ suffers from the same safe afraid of losing syndrome that GSP has.
Because he has alot to lose. Look at what happened to aldo,Before he even lost,the ufc,hell,even the fans treated him like a piece of shit cos shiny new conor showed up. Without the belt and the long streak dj holds no cards. If hes to put that at more risk than usual,pay the fuck up.

This just is not how business works.

What someone is paid is a function of the money they bring in to the company.
I'd normally accept that but UFC bends to whatever suits them. They'll talk about winning records and title defenses when it's beneficial and throw it all away in the blink of an eye if we start talking about someone who can sell the most PPVs. There's no consistency at all, with how someone is paid, what qualifies as UFC level, what earns a title shot, etc. It's all based on their whims, so when they go in on a fighter for not playing their game, lies and contradictions start flying everywhere and it's hard to take any of their justifications seriously. They make up championships to sell PPVs, fuck with the rules for the benefit of PED users, and so much other bullshit.

Dana White is the one who told MM this was his big fight, his prestige fight, his legacy, etc. etc. and hyped it up. MM told him if that's the case, pay him like it's the big fight he's saying it is. Then White backtracked and went on a smear campaign. Then you look at Dillashaw who was in that fighter's association but turned that shit right around when they started giving him better treatment. Then that turned sour for TJ when he wouldn't put himself on the line and they got butthurt and started punking him. It's like dealing with a lying, cheating, bipolar spouse and everyone wants to shit on the fighters just trying to navigate that mess for some bizarre reason.

Don’t understand what people don’t get. You’re paid on your ability to draw viewers. MM draws hundreds of people and should be paid hundreds of dollars.

I'd normally accept that but UFC bends to whatever suits them. They'll talk about winning records and title defenses when it's beneficial and throw it all away in the blink of an eye if we start talking about someone who can sell the most PPVs. There's no consistency at all, with how someone is paid, what qualifies as UFC level, what earns a title shot, etc. It's all based on their whims, so when they go in on a fighter for not playing their game, lies and contradictions start flying everywhere and it's hard to take any of their justifications seriously. They make up championships to sell PPVs, fuck with the rules for the benefit of PED users, and so much other bullshit.

Dana White is the one who told MM this was his big fight, his prestige fight, his legacy, etc. etc. and hyped it up. MM told him if that's the case, pay him like it's the big fight he's saying it is. Then White backtracked and went on a smear campaign. Then you look at Dillashaw who was in that fighter's association but turned that shit right around when they started giving him better treatment. Then that turned sour for TJ when he wouldn't put himself on the line and they got butthurt and started punking him. It's like dealing with a lying, cheating, bipolar spouse and everyone wants to shit on the fighters just trying to navigate that mess for some bizarre reason.

Can you name me a fighter that is popular with general audiences that is or feels underpaid??

MM doesn't think hes getting DC money, he knows hes not thats why said IF I got the same as you I would fight TJ, but he knows he not so he says im done talking about it. But I don't feel bad for him because he could move up and fight TJ and atleast make more money then he is now

No he can't move up and fight TJ, the UFC won't allow it, he has expressed interest in the past to move up and fight Cody. The UFC just do no want DJ as champion, with the threats from Dana to DJ about closing his division I really feel like they just wanted DJ to lose to TJ so they could close the division. The UFC clearly have zero idea how to promote any of their smaller divisions, those are the ones that actually need promoting the most because of their size and yet they just don't do it.

he wants that kind of pay in one sentence but says it's unrealistic in another

If you want to make the jackpot then you gotta put it all on the line against an opponent that might just fuck you up

they should have done this shit to GSP back in the day.

*couldnt care less American dude
This is true English dude.

Honestly I could(n't) care less about the bout or about caring less. Also by argument, could care less means I actually care a little (which i do).

Aint no thang...

Give him a deal where he can break a mil if he wins and DJ will jump on that shit in a heart beat. Otherwise, why the fuck should he do it? He has no obligation to. Pay the man and make it happen.

Give him a deal where he can break a mil if he wins and DJ will jump on that shit in a heart beat. Otherwise, why the fuck should he do it? He has no obligation to. Pay the man and make it happen.

If TJ makes weight he has no obligation??

If TJ makes weight he has no obligation??
When has TJ made 125? Who at 125 has TJ fought? What is TJ's FLW ranking?

TJ has nothing at FLW. If and this is a big IF, he takes a single fight at FLW and makes weight (which he won't) then DJ will fight him like any other FLW contender. He has said this dozens of times.

As it stands now, DJ has no obligations to fight a self entitled bantamweight who got TKO'd by the last FLW he fought.

I was wondering when you’d show up. The thread is about you, after all

No he can't move up and fight TJ, the UFC won't allow it, he has expressed interest in the past to move up and fight Cody. The UFC just do no want DJ as champion, with the threats from Dana to DJ about closing his division I really feel like they just wanted DJ to lose to TJ so they could close the division. The UFC clearly have zero idea how to promote any of their smaller divisions, those are the ones that actually need promoting the most because of their size and yet they just don't do it.

Not true, he didn't want to move up due to pay.

He says he is willing to make the jump back up, but only if it comes with better compensation.

“Make it worth my while. Show me the money,” Johnson said on Monday’s MMA Hour episode (via MMA Fighting). “These guys are taking concussions. Like I said after the fight, I’m not in the business to get concussions. I do not like getting hit. I can take a hit, but I don’t want to damage my brain if I don’t have to.”

Maybe he should fight the same calibre opponents first then. Instead of ducking them.

Yep I saw that last night and it was sad. TJ is not some legend of the sport. He is a very good fighter in his 2nd run as champ at 35. He may lose it all on Sat again. And DJ has been dodging him even though he was ready to go down to 125.

they should have done this shit to GSP back in the day.

GSP did not duck people in his own division. The big question for him was "Will you move up and fight Anderson". DJ won't fight TJ who was coming down.

The UFC clearly have zero idea how to promote any of their smaller divisions, those are the ones that actually need promoting the most because of their size and yet they just don't do it.

It's not that they have no idea how to promote it, they just don't bother since most MMA fans don't care about it.

And this is a guy people call the GOAT? You know who was the last great fighter he fought? Cruz and he lost. Was there a rematch? Nope he went down to the tiny man's class and fought all these little men. No more big fights ever. Except TJ tried to make one. DJ said "No thanks".

Please drop the 125 division, it's too shallow. It'll force DJ to fight TJ at 135.

I don't much care about the DJ vs TJ fight anymore. It was cool when it was first announced but now it's just played out.

GSP did not duck people in his own division. The big question for him was "Will you move up and fight Anderson". DJ won't fight TJ who was coming down.
GSP said on record many times he would fight Anderson at 170 (Anderson had fought at 170)

But I think DJ's final request was only for guaranteed money if TJ missed weight and a stacked card so he could make money off the offered PPV points.

Can you name me a fighter that is popular with general audiences that is or feels underpaid??
That's irrelevant to my point, which is that UFC will point to accolades and winning records as a reason why a fighter should be treated well but once they get there, it's a different story. They'll do this as a means to entice a fighter but it never seems to benefit fighters who take that message all the way. They did the same thing to Aldo when he was the FW kingpin. They tell fighters to win a little more, get a few more defenses, do this, do that, and the land of gold and honey is just on the other side of the next hill, then the next, and the next.

And I'm not arguing that some fighters shouldn't be paid according to what they bring in. Big sellers should get more. What I'm saying is that UFC should stop acting like they care about rewarding legitimate accomplishments when they, the fighters, and everyone else knows that's not true. They blow smoke up the fighters' asses to get them compliant then fail to deliver when they do everything right. Like I said, Dana White is the one who was telling Mighty Mouse how great the fight was. How can you say, "man this fight is HUUUUUGE... but you're only going to get 100k/100k for it" and expect someone to be okay with it? White tried to entice him with an empty proposal, Mighty Mouse called his bluff, and here we are. If White had any faith in what what he was saying the fight meant, it wouldn't have been an issue at all. And of course, he is a promoter, so he can't come right out and get Mighty Mouse on board with it by being realistic and saying they might get 100k viewers, but he didn't have any luck with lying and playing games, either.

That's irrelevant to my point, which is that UFC will point to accolades and winning records as a reason why a fighter should be treated well but once they get there, it's a different story. They'll do this as a means to entice a fighter but it never seems to benefit fighters who take that message all the way. They did the same thing to Aldo when he was the FW kingpin. They tell fighters to win a little more, get a few more defenses, do this, do that, and the land of gold and honey is just on the other side of the next hill, then the next, and the next.

And I'm not arguing that some fighters shouldn't be paid according to what they bring in. Big sellers should get more. What I'm saying is that UFC should stop acting like they care about rewarding legitimate accomplishments when they, the fighters, and everyone else knows that's not true. They blow smoke up the fighters' asses to get them compliant then fail to deliver when they do everything right. Like I said, Dana White is the one who was telling Mighty Mouse how great the fight was. How can you say, "man this fight is HUUUUUGE... but you're only going to get 100k/100k for it" and expect someone to be okay with it? White tried to entice him with an empty proposal, Mighty Mouse called his bluff, and here we are. If White had any faith in what what he was saying the fight meant, it wouldn't have been an issue at all. And of course, he is a promoter, so he can't come right out and get Mighty Mouse on board with it by being realistic and saying they might get 100k viewers, but he didn't have any luck with lying and playing games, either.

Fair points. I guess I’m desensitized to DWs lies. End of the day it comes down to ability to sell. Title, no title, interim, whatever. For Brock to come back pissing hot and get an immediate shot that should tell us all we need to know about how to succeed in the UFC.

Should the guy who has defended the most titles out of any other champion not get paid more than Mark 'CTE' Hunt or CM Punk? If UFC cares about legitimacy they should pay him enough money to make the TJ fight happen.
Who has he beaten that is a big name?

No one, he’s the biggest fish in that barrel, but he’s afraid to lose to a guy willing to go down in weight

in what world does MM think he would get the same paycheck as fucking DC?

Didn't their loaded international fight week card do 350k? MM can't do much worse than that. Sounds like fat manlet privilege to me.

This is true English dude.

Honestly I could(n't) care less about the bout or about caring less. Also by argument, could care less means I actually care a little (which i do).

Aint no thang...
I’m just messing with you. I know what you meant regardless.
Obviously the true saying is couldn’t care less- hence implying that you really give zero fucks so in that context could care less doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

But I always took the common American usage to be more like “ I could care less.,,but I don’t “ - sort of thing

in what world does MM think he would get the same paycheck as fucking DC?
In a world where you get paid on skill rather than building a name off losing to Jones twice

Lol, why would a manlet get the same pay as a huge guy like DC?

Maintenance costs are way lower when you are that little. Less food, smaller cars, smaller house etc

DC is the manlet of the HW division, and seems to be doing pretty well, so...

Don’t understand what people don’t get. You’re paid on your ability to draw viewers. MM draws hundreds of people and should be paid hundreds of dollars.

Then don't blame him when he doesn't take unnecessary risks for so few viewers. The bottom line is, if the fanbase wanted this fight as much as they critiqued the man, then the UFC would pay up.

Back