Disrespectful?

blink_man182

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was on the Scarola website for and was looking through the website and came across this one.

14. It is disrespectful to ask an instructor or a higher rank to train with you, so wait until they ask you to roll.

Do a lot of other gyms go by this as well, because I don't really see this as disrespectful at all. I think when you roll with people who know more they can help you out and learn from your mistakes. Its much better than constantly rolling with people at the same level or lower level.

What do you guys think?

It's only disrespectful because Joey fears being triangled by a lower belt.

Just kidding! I wish Joey nothing but the best, was even at his website last night checking things out and I hope things go well for him. He seems like a very giving person and an excellent teacher.

The issue is that higher ranks want to do the same thing that you do, and you are burdening them with your requests. We are all training to get better, but trouncing white belts isnt going to do anything significant to a purple-belt's game.

If they're instructors and they don't want to help, why are they instructing then lol?

That's a dumb fuckin rule. I don't wanna roll with anyone that puts themself on a pedestal, black belt or not.

If they're instructors and they don't want to help, why are they instructing then lol?

So all you do is roll and ask blackbelts to roll with you, therefore they'll never help you with anything ever?

We roll for 20 minutes every class, the rest is drilling, in which every question to the instructor is fair game. The instructor watches us like a hawk when rolling and coaches us through every roll.

Instructing, and rolling with you incessantly are two different things.

the rule is there because when alot of white belts join the gym they grab all the colored belts to spar ALL THE TIME. Other people want to spar colored belts also you know.

the rule is there because when alot of white belts join the gym they grab all the colored belts to spar ALL THE TIME. Other people want to spar colored belts also you know.

This was all discussed in a thread about a month ago....

Its neccesay for certain schools...particulary those that do not have seperate classes for beginner and intermediate students

Also brand new students dont need to roll with a black belt to get better....they could roll with another white or a blue and get the same workout

let's be honest... other than exposure to the "flow" of jiu jitsu.. what is a noob gonna get out of sparring a black belt?

That's how it is, it'd be shameful to lose to a lower belt, haha

I've read about gyms that have these set rule lists in the last issue of Gracie. They sound pretty gay and I'm glad I don't belong to one of those. One of them says that you have to bow anytime you talk to an instructor and this and that. Lame.

all you guys who say it's "Lame" after being explained why a rule like that is practical either 1) don't train in a school where you have boatloads of white belts that try to horde the high lvl guys at your gym or are a 2)white belt yourself.

all you guys who say it's "Lame" after being explained why a rule like that is practical either 1) don't train in a school where you have boatloads of white belts that try to horde the high lvl guys at your gym or are a 2)white belt yourself.

Is this the same guy that got his ass beat on TUF and cried about his gf?

to those who are complaing about that rule AFTER being explained why a rule like that would be practical.. what belt lvl are you?

my guess is that the ones who complain are either 1) don't/haven't trained in a school where there is a boatload of white belts or 2) you are a white belt. or 3) you are all of the above.

A lot of times, white belt noobs think that if they spar the highest rank in class that they will improve faster or the instructor will be impressed by it. When it's not the case.

That's how it is, it'd be shameful to lose to a lower belt, hah

no there is no same, but blues and purples want to spar also. And let's be honest higher blues/purples/browns get more from sparring a black than white belts just because of their experience in jiu jitsu.

what belt are you guys who complaing about that rule AFTER being explained why a rule like that would be practical?

my guess is that the ones who complain are either 1) don't/haven't trained in a school where there is a boatload of white belts or 2) you are a white belt. or 3) you are all of the above.

A lot of times, white belt noobs think that if they spar the highest rank in class that they will improve faster or the instructor will be impressed by it. When it's not the case.

no there is no same, but blues and purples want to spar also. And let's be honest higher blues/purples/browns get more from sparring a black than white belts just because of their experience in jiu jitsu.

I'm a white belt and I get it. I feel the people who dont get it cant really walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

I've found in my short time doing jiu jitsu, if you just go along your merry way, rolling and really putting an effort into every roll, blues will come up to you and ask you to roll, or work positions.

I think this is one reason why Jiu Jitsu is so good, is that it teaches you to let your actions speak for themselves.

What the hell is with the people in this school then? Why are the guys who've been training for 2 months flooding the purple belts?

with the mma boom going on there are hoards of people joining up for bjj....

Back