Disrespectful?

That's how it is, it'd be shameful to lose to a lower belt, haha

I trust you were being sarcastic.

Just in case you weren't, I have to say that it might be "shameful" for a purple to "lose" to a 2 week noob, in that the purple ought to be able to handle someone of that experience level. But there is no shame in "losing" to someone who is a little less experienced than you are.

I rolled with a relative noob white belt on Monday (I'm a blue) and made a mistake. Rather than fight my way out of it, I showed him what I did wrong, and then walked him through a sub that should have been staring him in the face.

I even tapped at the end.

I also got tapped by a brand new blue who just happens to be bigger, stronger and better than me last night.

Rolling is not about winning and losing. It's about learning and training. If you have too much ego to "lose," IMHO you will eventually plateau and never get better. I am constantly trying new stuff. I get hung up in bad positions because of it. But I'd rather do that in class rolling with a 6 month white belt than in a tournament or, worse, in an actual fight. And if I can't fight my way out of the bad position and I "lose" to the 6 month student, that's the price I pay for learning.

There is a rule similar to this where I train. . . . If A higher belt asks to train with you, you can't decline.

Blanko, im not talking about just white belts, I under stand that, but how the rule sounds, it means even a blue asking a purple to roll is illegal, and purple asking a brown.

uhh if its really THAT big a problem then why can't the BB (whatever belt) just turn down your request? Seems much more reasonable then instituting a blanket rule like that...

I have never experienced this (but I do judo)

I have never been refused and I am 300 pounds, maybe judokas are just tougher and more polite ;)

Sure us big guys often congregate in one corner so we don't fall on any midgets but I have been at camps with close to a 100 people on the mats, everybody have been faithful, And i am not stupid I don't go ask a feather weight to practise firemans carry

I started training in the comp group only a couple of weeks into my resurrected judo career and was told that randori is randori, nobody is taking it easy with anybody, you jsut had to accept that, but you learn from being thrown/subbed/pinned aswell

Is this the same guy that got his ass beat on TUF and cried about his gf?

i bet Joey can beat you up. he is a legit bjj black belt and undefeated in mma. sounds like your a little jealous he has a girlfriend. not at home with one hand on the keyboard and the other .....well u get the idea. stop talking trash, it makes you look like trash

i bet Joey can beat you up. he is a legit bjj black belt and undefeated in mma. sounds like your a little jealous he has a girlfriend. not at home with one hand on the keyboard and the other .....well u get the idea. stop talking trash, it makes you look like trash

Uhhh dude, he may be a BB and he may be accomplished in BJJ/Somewhat in MMA but that just shows a lack of mental toughness and a complete lack of commitment to the show and to his best friend/instructor. I compare it to the 250lb guy in HS that would start crying when someone fucked with him; just because he can kick your ass doesnt mean he will.

I just started training about 6 months ago and ended up in a horrible beginners' class. There were 4 girls and 6 guys, who were all idiots. Out of shape, acted like morons, wanted to learn how to choke someone the first class, and all thought they were going to be the next UFC star. Even our instructor hated them.

One of the girls quit over the whole deal and then one of the idiots hurt me really bad at an open mat, in front of everyone. After that, the advanced class invited us to train with them. I was nervous about it because I thought some of them might be assholes about the whole thing, but it's been wonderful.

Since there are 3 of us, one of the guys drills with us on whatever our instructor has us doing that day. They usually take turns and rotate every so often. We love it and it's like having a room full of teachers. None of them have attitude, treat us badly, or make us feel stupid. They actually argue over whose turn it is to help us.

that list of rules he has on his website is a template...i have seen the exact list word for word on other schools websites

I just started training about 6 months ago and ended up in a horrible beginners' class. There were 4 girls and 6 guys, who were all idiots. Out of shape, acted like morons, wanted to learn how to choke someone the first class, and all thought they were going to be the next UFC star. Even our instructor hated them.

One of the girls quit over the whole deal and then one of the idiots hurt me really bad at an open mat, in front of everyone. After that, the advanced class invited us to train with them. I was nervous about it because I thought some of them might be assholes about the whole thing, but it's been wonderful.

Since there are 3 of us, one of the guys drills with us on whatever our instructor has us doing that day. They usually take turns and rotate every so often. We love it and it's like having a room full of teachers. None of them have attitude, treat us badly, or make us feel stupid. They actually argue over whose turn it is to help us.

Wow, that'd really idealic. When I showed up for my first class it was sink or swim. there was no positional stuff taught to me and my instructor said "k, grab a partner, get rolling." It was actually quite awesome

Im a white belt and I agree with this rule 100%. Im paying money to learn jujitsu not to train white belts.

I could understand if he has like 40 new students who just wanna spaz out under him and perhaps give him an injury, but for the most part I don't like this rule. Of course don't just walk in your first day and think your gonna roll through everyone. I learned a few of the best things from rolling with higher belts. They can teach you all day but when you actually feel it sometimes things just click.

Yeah I'm sure they are that nice to everyone:rolleyes::redface:

It is amazing what tit's and ass can get you:rolleyes::redface::rolleyes:

Most higher ranked belts don't have a problem rolling with new guys and showing them new techniques or answering questions. It only becomes a problem when they have to spend all their time with lower belts instead of getting to improve their technique with other higher ranked belts.

Back