Disrespectful?

Again this really doesnt support your point or pertain to mine.

Of course I pay for the personal trainer, and it's an exchange of goods and services, done. But I dont pay the personal trainer to be my workout buddy, nor do I even have a workout buddy, nor do I interrupt peoples workouts to help me with mine.

Working in is not the same as rolling. In rolling he is necessarily involved with your sloppy jiu jitsu, and he is burdened by it because it is time that he can never get back. If you're working in, you're doing your sets while he's resting...aka, doing nothing.

The rule is this at my academy: " In general, you aren't supposed to ask higher belts to spar, and you aren't supposed to refuse higher belts when they ask you. Of course, if you know the guys and train with them regularly, this isn't the case, but in Brazil you generally don't do that."

"...you aren't supposed to ask higher belts to spar..."

To spar. Meaning you can ask them questions. If it's open mat, and they arent rolling, you can ask them to go over a technique and teach you this stuff, but sparring is another story, and that's where my arguement for 'disrespect' comes into play.

Okay, I read through eight pages of this thread and thought that it was pretty snobbish of higher belts to think that way, but this post really clarifies things about why and when it would be disrespectful.

That's one of the gayest things I've ever heard, if someone ever told me that I'd laugh in their face.

Whats this thread about again ? I lost track with all the bullshit..

Back