• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Disagreeing with traditional motivational quotes...

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I see some of my colleagues in education retweeting this common quote, “never ever ever ever give up”.
The thing that is bothering me is that many of these people have never even tried to do something extraordinary. I’m not sure how long any of them have suffered in order to accomplish something special.
Also, I feel that some people hold on to things too long. They should give up once and a while. Jiu Jitsu is a great example. I give up (tap) on a regular basis. People stay in abusive relationships because they don’t want to “give up.”
I get it. Some people are just lazy and unmotivated. They give up at the first sign of trouble. Other people are like golden retrievers. They won’t stop chasing a ball even if their bloody paws are falling off.
Some people need to give up on false notions and twisted ideas. Give up on dreams that were never theirs to begin with.
I hope this isn’t coming off as too salty. I don’t ever (ever) give up on my students. They are worth the sacrifice. I just think we need to re-evaluate what is important.

Shoot for the moon... even if you miss you'll land upon the stars.

Nah, you'll probably kill someone.

Yeah, a lot of "wisdom quotes" are very generic and right maybe half the time and completely wrong almost half the time.

In other words, completely contextual and only as wise as the person choosing to apply it to that particular situation.

Staying in an abusive relationship is giving up imo. So there is a difference of opinion on what "giving up" is.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." -WC Fields

Shoot for the moon... even if you miss you'll land upon the stars.

Nah, you'll probably kill someone.

Is there a way to have high expectations and motivate others to accomplish extraordinary things?
I think so. We have to model it. Sometimes I am frustrated with some of my teaching colleagues who “gave up” a long time ago.

Staying in an abusive relationship is giving up imo. So there is a difference of opinion on what "giving up" is.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." -WC Fields

That’s a good one! Thanks!

Success is a habit

Da fuk is this supposed to mean?

Is failure a habit too?

Success is a habit

Da fuk is this supposed to mean?

Is failure a habit too?

It means that it is a lifestyle not a thing you nail in one shot. Like dieting or exercise. Yes, failure is a habit.

Misread title as Movie Quotes.

I'm just gonna give up.

Motivational quotes are basically mini-moralizing efforts. Good for someone young and malleable, but when one is already set in their ways, it's like an app that is not compatible with the OS (one's own morals/norms).

YAIQPCN.gif

Depends on where and how you apply it. Don't give up on life and push past a little discomfort if you have a goal but obviously it doesn't mean stay in abusive relationships, since that itself is giving up on finding a happy one. I don't think the expression was meant to tell people they should never stop doing anything ever.

Depends on where and how you apply it. Don't give up on life and push past a little discomfort if you have a goal but obviously it doesn't mean stay in abusive relationships, since that itself is giving up on finding a happy one. I don't think the expression was meant to tell people they should never stop doing anything ever.

Yes, nuance and context are important. Also, hearing the message from somebody who has endured some level of suffering is important.
A colleague posted that quote on twitter and got quite a few likes. I hope it does motivate some of the lazy people in education. I hope I don’t give up on that adult. Listening to them complain about kids and the system gets to me sometimes.
Maybe that’s why I am airing my frustration here. I don’t want to give up on some of my colleagues.

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take... one of the dumbest quotes ever...

I see some of my colleagues in education retweeting this common quote, “never ever ever ever give up”.
The thing that is bothering me is that many of these people have never even tried to do something extraordinary. I’m not sure how long any of them have suffered in order to accomplish something special.
Also, I feel that some people hold on to things too long. They should give up once and a while. Jiu Jitsu is a great example. I give up (tap) on a regular basis. People stay in abusive relationships because they don’t want to “give up.”
I get it. Some people are just lazy and unmotivated. They give up at the first sign of trouble. Other people are like golden retrievers. They won’t stop chasing a ball even if their bloody paws are falling off.
Some people need to give up on false notions and twisted ideas. Give up on dreams that were never theirs to begin with.
I hope this isn’t coming off as too salty. I don’t ever (ever) give up on my students. They are worth the sacrifice. I just think we need to re-evaluate what is important.

There is a difference between possible, and probable. If a person wishes to use their life, and try to be the exception or the outlier then that is their right to do so.

However, I agree in giving a reasonable amount of time, and energy to something.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over, and over again but expecting different results."

I would argue that a person's resolve, and energy could be better used elsewhere, if they aren't achieving in their original pursuit.

I would agree to "never ever ever ever give up". However, I would attribute that to life as a whole, more so than one objective. Whatever it is you decide to do, do a thorough job, and keep trying (in life) if that doesn't work out for you.

Back