• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Disagreeing with traditional motivational quotes...

If machiavelli had had a prince for a diciple, the 1st thing he would have recommended him to do would have to been write a book about Machiavellianism

-Kenny Florian

Fucking dipshit.

You can have a bad attitude and purposely try to misinterpret just about anything, not really something to be proud of

Fake it till you make it. Fuck I hated hearing that in alcoholics anonymous.

Until you make what? It's a 12 step for the rest of you life program. Fucking dumbass old men and their rhetoric.
Well to a large part we're just an accumulation of our habits.

If you fake it till you make it, you're forming new habits. Eventually you will become someone new in an authentic way.

There's a psychological basis to this statement.

Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit, because gratitude is a burden, and revenge, a pleasure.

Kenflo

Sick bastard

Last edited:
Well to a large part we're just an accumulation of our habits.

If you fake it till you make it, you're forming new habits. Eventually you will become someone new in an authentic way.

There's a psychological basis to this statement.

For some. In my analysis of being in a recovery home faking encourages manipulative behavior like arguing, vague answers ignoring questions, trying to game the system etcc..

A lot misinterpret what "fake" could mean in a positive sense. I have problems with the word fake. Not a good word. Drop it from you vocabulary anyone reading this.

How can you miss a shot you don't take? You can only miss the ones you do take.

He should have said; "You don't hit any of the shots you don't take". Hockey players aren't known for their intelligence.
right. Gretzky wasn't a negative man was he? Why would his most famous quote be from a negative perspective...?

Lot of times it's very cringe

esp the stuff with fat chicks writing fake quotes on Marilyn Monroe posters as motivational images

Lot of times it's very cringe

esp the stuff with fat chicks writing fake quotes on Marilyn Monroe posters as motivational images

Wait, what are they writing? I missed this shit. Don't keep a homie guessing.

Wait, what are they writing? I missed this shit. Don't keep a homie guessing.
large.png

She never said shit like this, she was known to fat shame

The "never give up" and "if you keep trying, your dreams will come true" kind of quotes are silly. Like when someone has a small business that's failing.

"I'm never going to give up! I know this will work out! I just know it!"

Fast forward 2 years and $200k of debt

"Yea, maybe I should have read the writing on the wall 2 years ago"

Whilst not paying attension to the writing on the wall can be a negative I think the worst advice for a lot of small business is the whole "If your going to do something really commit to it!" kind of quotes. The biggest failing of most small businesses is IMHO people over investing early on putting themselves in debt and having to get serious income quickly. Keeping your overheads as low as possible early on until you can gage the real market is generally the best advice I'd say and a lot of the time I do think "to win you've got to be in the game" is actually good advice as well, luck/chance is often a big factor when it comes to openings and the longer your in business the more likely they are to happen.

“You got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em” - Kenny Rogers

She never said shit like this, she was known to fat shame

Thanks. I don't know how I missed this stuff - LOL. I thought the internet hoax quotes were limited to "Luke, I am your father".

One of the few motivationals that doesn't inspire skepticism and disgust within me:
dat-ass-id-hit-it.jpg

quotes, slogans, philosophies,

if you don't agree with them, you can just dismiss them. you don't have to form a perfectly articulated counter argument to explain the fallacy in them. they never offer proof to their claims to begin with.

Not really a quote, but I read a book by a guy who lived out the "Never ever ever give up" mindset a few years ago. The guy built an amazing school for poor people in the city with nothing but donations from wealthy people and it was a real success, but so many moments along the way could have gone terribly wrong and left him fucked with nothing. I thought the book was kind of irresponsible in that he pushed others to follow in his footsteps when so much of the book came down to sheer luck and he acknowledged that. Sure a couple others would luck out too, but 99% of his readers would get themselves in to debt or worse with nothing to show without the same luck.

To be clear, I don’t advocate giving up on a worthy cause. Another quote comes to mind, “find what you love and let it kill you.” There’s a spot in Valhalla for warriors who die in battle, right?
I also believe in taking risks, being on adventures, and proving people wrong.
But, if you want to motivate me, you’ll have to take some risks yourself. Your posters on your classroom wall aren’t enough for me to fight to the death.

Also, there are some things that you can’t accomplish by “not giving up.” Friendship for one... years ago I had a student who told me, “I’m trying so hard to make these kids be my friends.”
“Trying too hard” can be a problem in this instance. I know that nuance might be difficult to explain to kids, but I don’t plan on “giving up.”

Back