Dirty move by Silva or not?

Completely absurd argument. If you want to take your gi off, don't do it during the fight. Do it after the round is over. Nothing dirty about Silva's beating there.

biscuit7878 said:
Props to Silva for not taking the gi off him and strangling him to death with it.

I couldn't have said it better.
Silva should've trapped Nakamura's arms by tying a knot with the gi and used his head as a speed ball thereby inventing a new technique against judo.

I don't even think Gis should be allowed in MMA.

Most other sports have a semblance of a dress code, why not pride? Especially since it can be used as a weapon of sorts.

Ban the Gi's

It wasn't a dirty move. But it would have been classy to let Nak finish what he was doing and get his guard back up. It's like refusing to touch gloves. It isn't dirty or reprehensible - it's just more classy to show some respect.

Nak made a tactical mistake. Silva missed a chance to show some class (though that's not to say he isn't normally a classy fighter).

Calling that a dirty move is ridiculous, Nak made a poor choice by wearing the gi and it got him in trouble, that is not Silva's fault, fighting is about capitalizing on your opponents mistakes whatever they are, if he had let him take the gi off and the got TKFO we would be calling Silva an idiot...

No what's dirty is using your uniform to choke people and sticking your thumbs in people's cuts.

What Silva did was funny.

I didnt have a problem with the Gi nor using it to choke people as that was Japanese Jujitsu/Judo.

The main reason because Sakuraba showed the world how you can use someone else's Gi against them. Sak pulled Royce's Gi over his head, tossed him around in guard with it and pulled down his Gi pants.

So I thought that while this sport isnt full of geniuses, people would atleast employ the monkey see monkey do philosophy using Sak's example.

The Pride 2000 GP was 20 events ago(5 yrs) and we still have retards getting choked out by Yoshida and fans complaining.

If fighters really are that dim-witted then maybe we do need to ban the Gi or atleast the use of it to choke your opponent.

Kempo 2000 said:
Calling that a dirty move is ridiculous, Nak made a poor choice by wearing the gi and it got him in trouble, that is not Silva's fault, fighting is about capitalizing on your opponents mistakes whatever they are, if he had let him take the gi off and the got TKFO we would be calling Silva an idiot...

Agreed, and he could have waited until the end of the round to take it off, assuming he lasted that long.

Jebus said:
No but he still hit him when he wasn't ready. Anyways it's Naks fault for taking off his gi in the middle of the match. Especially against Silva? That's like taking your eyes off a lion that's ready to pounce on you.

Protect yourself at all times!!!

pitviper23 said:
IMO He shoulda hit him while he was taking off the gi.
That's fucking disrespectful we are in the middle of a fight and Im gonna stop and take off my gi

i'm with you on that one. you got to wonder, did Nak even train with the Gi? how the hell could he be surprised by not being able to punch as fast? Why do it in the middle of the round? How about running the hell away from silva while taking it off? talk about a brain fart.

That move by Silva wasn't dirty at all. Nakamura should not have tried to take is gi off in the middle of the fight.

Taking off the gi in the middle of the round was just asking for a reaction. Theres nothing dirty about taking advantage of the fact your opponent is doing something stupid midround.

jmzero said:
It wasn't a dirty move. But it would have been classy to let Nak finish what he was doing and get his guard back up. It's like refusing to touch gloves. It isn't dirty or reprehensible - it's just more classy to show some respect.

Nak made a tactical mistake. Silva missed a chance to show some class (though that's not to say he isn't normally a classy fighter).

Come on. Its a competition, Silva didnt do anything wrong. He even waited a little. Maybe you didnt think he should hit him at all because thats not classy??

I cant believe someone started this thread??

If it was me I wouldn't have gave Nak the time that Wandy did. Sorry bout your luck Nak.

i think he's classy, if he wasn't, he would beat him while he was taking off the gi, he waited at least one second, lol

When I was watching the fight, Silva was closing in while Nak was getting the gi off. By the time he had it entirely off Silva was right there, Nak got his hands up and threw a wild punch as Silva began his flurry. Would it have been nice if Silva stepped back, let him get his gi entirely off, stretch a little, and then give him the signal to start again...yeah it would. But this was the quarterfinals of the GP. I don't think he did anything wrong by closing the distance as Nak was taking the gi off and then going right after him after he was finished. They got a lot on the line and don't have room to f*** around.

Well, I guess that answers my question..

Bad move by Nak
Good move by Silva

Back