Director's who lost their touch

What's with your inability to stay on the subject without resorting to personal attacks? That's all you are doing is attacking my character. Fucking momo - you don't even know me.

Keep on believing what studio execs have to say about movies. BR2049 definitely made money, just not as much as they wanted. They were expecting it to be huge like a Marvel movie. It wasn't so they viewed it as a loss. These people are greedy.

lol

Obviously trolling now.

They viewed it as a loss because it cost them $50-100m.

nobody cares about your stupid numbers, @Drain Bamage. BR2049 was a failure at the box office. this is known. it is also a fucking crime, but fortunately producers still had enough faith in Villeneuve to back him for his adaptation of Dune.

Yeah you don't make any sense. If BR2049 was such a crime then why is it "fortunate" that they got Villanueve back?

BR2049 is great btw. Sorry you didn't like it. But, you are in the minority.

disagree wholeheartedly about PTA. his career has been aging like fine wine so far.

QT is interesting. I loved The Hateful Eight (still need to see OUATIH), thought Inglourious Basterds was solid & disliked Django, but still think he has been pretty consistent throughout his career.

I still like PTA films, but Inherent Vice, The Master and Phantom Thread are not as mesmerizing as his other stuff, imo. Still good films.....perhaps just a matter of taste. He’s still relatively young, do interesting to see what he does in the next decade.

QT similarly still makes good films as well. My issue with him is that he never really evolved as a filmmaker imo.

You really going to ignore the facts I just gave you just to post a link of what one guy that you already mentioned said?

What I already posted is a rebuttal to that.

It really is that simple that $80 million profit is more than $40 million profit. But sure, ignore numbers.

I don't think you understand how profit works.

Making more than the budget isn't profitable if you're splitting the earnings with other parties (I.E. Movie Theaters, distributors, etc.).

If a movie cost 80 millions and makes 100 million, the studio didn't make 20 million dollars of profit.

Has basically the career trajectory of Shyamalan. Came out charging with two decent movies in his first three and then went off a fucking cliff. His next best movie is probably Jersey Girl.

He milks the Jay and Silent Bob characters harder than Luke milks his sea monster and he still hasn't had them do anything worthwhile since the 1990s.

Has basically the career trajectory of Shyamalan. Came out charging with two decent movies in his first three and then went off a fucking cliff. His next best movie is probably Jersey Girl.

He milks the Jay and Silent Bob characters harder than Luke milks his sea monster and he still hasn't had them do anything worthwhile since the 1990s.
Everything after Clerks II was dog shit

Not only Apocalypse Now, but his "performance" in Heart of Darkness is among the most elucidating portrayals of the pure suffering someone will go through for their art. If that's how painstakingly he approached even half of his movies, it seems a foregone conclusion he'd eventually want to do something pastoral like his wine making.

I never saw the documentary, but it's a matter of record that he and Sheen almost died on set due to stress and overwork, no? Yeah if those films and the painstaking effort he went through to deliver them burned him out to an extent, I certainly wouldn't be surprised. I hope he's currently enjoying his time, his life, his wealth. He certainly has nothing to prove. The guy will always be a legendary filmmaker. He delivered four phenomenal films within a ten-year span. Not many others can boast that.

nobody cares about your stupid numbers, @Drain Bamage. BR2049 was a failure at the box office. this is known. it is also a fucking crime, but fortunately producers still had enough faith in Villeneuve to back him for his adaptation of Dune.
disagree wholeheartedly about PTA. his career has been aging like fine wine so far.

QT is interesting. I loved The Hateful Eight (still need to see OUATIH), thought Inglourious Basterds was solid & disliked Django, but still think he has been pretty consistent throughout his career.

I feel like QT is as good as he ever was. Thought IB, Django, Hateful Eight, and OUATIH were all varying levels of awesome. In fact, I actually think he went to a higher plane after the 04-07 stretch. Many will disagree because many swear by Kill Bill, but I was not huge on those two nor did I particularly like Death Proof (though I think Grindhouse as an overall theater experience was tremendous). Once IG hit though, I feel like he has not missed a step. Delivered each time out.

Yeah you don't make any sense. If BR2049 was such a crime then why is it "fortunate" that they got Villanueve back?

BR2049 is great btw. Sorry you didn't like it. But, you are in the minority.
no, the fact that BR2049 flopped at the box office is the crime, dummie. audiences failed the movie by not voting w/ their pockets. i fucking love BR2049.

I still like PTA films, but Inherent Vice, The Master and Phantom Thread are not as mesmerizing as his other stuff, imo. Still good films.....perhaps just a matter of taste. He’s still relatively young, do interesting to see what he does in the next decade.

QT similarly still makes good films as well. My issue with him is that he never really evolved as a filmmaker imo.
i think all three of those you listed are better than all of his other films, w/ the exception of There Will Be Blood of course. Magnolia might be in a similar tier. i think PTA’s entire filmography is fantastic—not a single dud to be found—but his work from TWBB onwards is phenomenal. his earlier stuff shows his potential; his recent stuff is him reaching that potential & are building even more potential for the future.

I feel like QT is as good as he ever was. Thought IB, Django, Hateful Eight, and OUATIH were all varying levels of awesome. In fact, I actually think he went to a higher plane after the 04-07 stretch. Many will disagree because many swear by Kill Bill, but I was not huge on those two nor did I particularly like Death Proof (though I think Grindhouse as an overall theater experience was tremendous). Once IG hit though, I feel like he has not missed a step. Delivered each time out.
i’m a total mark for Death Proof. i think it’s way better than Django.

I never saw the documentary, but it's a matter of record that he and Sheen almost died on set due to stress and overwork, no? Yeah if those films and the painstaking effort he went through to deliver them burned him out to an extent, I certainly wouldn't be surprised. I hope he's currently enjoying his time, his life, his wealth. He certainly has nothing to prove. The guy will always be a legendary filmmaker. He delivered four phenomenal films within a ten-year span. Not many others can boast that.

If I remember correctly, he had a heart attack, damn near went legit mad like the Kurtz character in the story itself, and I think he had a rather serious heart attack. At every point of production it seemed as if that movie was cursed, and he fought that curse like some guy who bought a new home in a horror movie, and won.

no, the fact that BR2049 flopped at the box office is the crime, dummie. audiences failed the movie by not voting w/ their pockets. i fucking love BR2049.

i think all three of those you listed are better than all of his other films, w/ the exception of There Will Be Blood of course. Magnolia might be in a similar tier. i think PTA’s entire filmography is fantastic—not a single dud to be found—but his work from TWBB onwards is phenomenal. his earlier stuff shows his potential; his recent stuff is him reaching that potential & are building even more potential for the future.

Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love are my two favourites of his.

His recent stuff falls into the “I admire them more than I enjoy them”, imo.

I think Spielberg still has it. I LOVED Ready Player One, and I don’t care for VR stuff. But it was so well done and a great ride. I also liked Lincoln, The Post and even liked BFG.
I think QT has hung in there too.

And, much like M. Night, the dude seemed to have become preoccupied with making a certain type of film that would cater to the audience he cultivated. For M. Night, it was that Twilight Zone-esque atmosphere and the twist at the end. Worked great in Sixth Sense. Was awesome in Unbreakable. I liked it a lot with Signs as well. But, the thing was, those were technically solid, effective movies throughout and the twists or shocks merely complemented the quality. Once The Village hit, it wasn't horrible but it was diminishing returns. It was, quite frankly, dull.

But after that was the real problematic stretch. Lady in the Water- pretentious and poor. The Happening- very unsatisfying and silly. Never saw After Earth but I've heard it was similarly weak.

He did, to his credit, seem to bounce back with The Visit and Split. I liked both of them. But then he went to the well once too much with that Unbreakable/Split world. Glass was a wasted opportunity. And, again, I think it was more of his preoccupation with- this is the mythos...this is what people want to see. And making a good movie took a backseat to establishing some universe.

And Smith it's sort of similar. I feel like he tried to make the same type of movie often and that it ended up hindering his overall canon. He created this multi-movie world that people enjoyed but he became so preoccupied with it and all the little asides and nods to the fans that he lost what made the stuff enjoyable the first time around when it was fresh. The funny thing is he could probably apply his sensibilities and humor well to telling other stories but he tends to go back to the well of the View Askew stuff because it's probably the closest thing to a sure thing for him in terms of fan interest.

Again, we know the guy can write and direct good material. Clerks and Chasing Amy are proof of that. I'd like to see him branch out a bit. Jersey Girl at least did that.

Everything after Clerks II was dog shit

I thought Clerks II was pretty damn funny and underrated so I think that's a good one to use as a cut off point.

Zack and Miri had like some decent ideas but it just fell flat mostly. To me, the set up was way better than the payoff. The stuff with Banks unfortunately going viral and Justin Long and Routh at the reunion was pretty amusing. Then the rest cannot capitalize on it at all and goes off the rails. Felt like it went on way too long as well.

I really disliked Cop Out. Struck me as Showtime level of unfunny buddy cop film where solid actors have little to nothing to do.

Last edited:
Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love are my two favourites of his.

His recent stuff falls into the “I admire them more than I enjoy them”, imo.

Boogie Nights is still my favorite of his even if it's not his most complex or perhaps best written film. It's just terrific in my opinion. Holds up remarkably well too.

But yeah he's definitely still in top form, but your description- admire more than enjoy- definitely is how I felt about his two with Joaquin: The Master and Inherent Vice. I think they are both undeniably good, well-made, well-acted films but they're not the types of movies I'm ever tempted to watch all the way through after the first viewing.

That said, I do routinely re-watch two scenes from The Master. The first is when Dodd processes Freddie. That shit is one of the most intense, most expertly performed scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Just a master class in acting from both guys.

The second is when PSH defends The Cause against Christopher Evan Welch from Silicon Valley (RIP to both). Just the slow burn of PSH going from calmly trying to assert his thought process under warranted skepticism to then flipping the hell out is so well done.

Back