Director's who lost their touch

Coppola is one of the more insane ones to process in the sense that he had four films in a decade- the 70s- that are absolute classics of American cinema. The Godfather, Godfather Part II, The Conversation (underrated gem), and Apocalypse Now are all terrific films.

He made a few good ones in the 80s/90s- I hear Rumble Fish is interesting, I like Godfather Part III. Bram Stoker's Dracula is good.

But those are among the better stuff he's done in the past forty years and none of them come even close to the least among those 4 from the 70s.

Not only Apocalypse Now, but his "performance" in Heart of Darkness is among the most elucidating portrayals of the pure suffering someone will go through for their art. If that's how painstakingly he approached even half of his movies, it seems a foregone conclusion he'd eventually want to do something pastoral like his wine making.

Not when it doesn’t make 2-3 times it’s budget.

Oh really? Let's see:

Blade Runner 2049 made $265 million on a $185 million dollar budget. That's $80 million dollars profit.

Now let's take any $10 million movie. And lets even increase your 2-3x figure to 5x - Let's say a $10 million dollar makes $50 million. 5x it's budget. It's made $40 million dollars in profit.

Blade Runner 2049 = $80 million profit
$10 million dollar movie that made 5x its budget = $40 million profit

Which do you think is better $40 million dollars profit or $80 million dollars profit?

Oh really? Let's see:

Blade Runner 2049 made $265 million on a $185 million dollar budget. That's $80 million dollars profit.

You think it’s that simple?

lol

As stated, the general rule of thumb is that a film needs to make 2 times it’s budget just to break even.

Oh really? Let's see:

Now let's take any $10 million movie. And lets even increase your 2-3x figure to 5x - Let's say a $10 million dollar makes $50 million. 5x it's budget. It's made $40 million dollars in profit.

Blade Runner 2049 = $80 million profit
$10 million dollar movie that made 5x its budget = $40 million profit

Which do you think is better $40 million dollars profit or $80 million dollars profit?

Here you go playa!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gi...movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitab-5747305/amp

lol

As stated, the general rule of thumb is that a film needs to make 2 times it’s budget just to break even.

He doesn’t understand how businesses works and just looks at earnings - budget.

You really going to ignore the facts I just gave you just to post a link of what one guy that you already mentioned said?

What I already posted is a rebuttal to that.

lol

It really is that simple that $80 million profit is more than $40 million profit. But sure, ignore numbers.

Yup.

His Blade Runner example......that film ended us costing the producers/distributors close to 100m, according to reports.

Actually you are the one who doesn't understand. I just gave you the math, but you want to use one guys quote as your bible.

You really going to ignore the facts I just gave you just to post a link of what one guy that you already mentioned said?

What I already posted is a rebuttal to that.

It really is that simple that $80 million profit is more than $40 million profit. But sure, ignore numbers.

You’re getting educated by more knowledgeable people kid. Learn from it.

Blade Runner cost it’s producers close to 100m. It was a flop despite reasonably good box office returns on the surface.

Actually you are the one who doesn't understand. I just gave you the math, but you want to use one guys quote as your bible.

lol. Google it and you’ll find out you’re wrong and don’t understand how businesses works.

All good playa, you’ve been exposed.

You’re getting educated by more knowledgeable people kid. Learn from it.

Blade Runner cost it’s producers close to 100m. It was a flop despite reasonably good box office returns on the surface.

You're the one getting educated. Or maybe not. Since you can't see that $80 million profit is more than $40 million profit. You might be beyond educating.

QcBBOTS8WxFU9qHxsNnyl0Vhnv7YCGIauxMOMNx8EtK1344BauWAzcEhPDoVZ2mPKIwhq_zuh9nJ95e1_PLASz9DpTBBGzPegjc4_ZZf5wipTShdZGHSGwxN2FEOsaItfHJ2ECMQwJuY0k_Fj8Y-uA9gQ8HU_Ej28MM

lol. Google it and you’ll find out you’re wrong and don’t understand how businesses works.

All good playa, you’ve been exposed.

On the contrary, beyond your inability to comprehend numbers, your cringey vernacular exposes you. Playa.

You're the one getting educated. Or maybe not. Since you can't see that $80 million profit is more than $40 million profit. You might be beyond educating.

You’re cute. Dumb as a post, but cute.

Clint's recent movies like Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino are highly overrated imo. I haven't seen Richard Jewell. He peaked early with Outlaw Josey Wales which he stole out from under Phillip Kaufman and used all his prep work when directing, you should read about that. Actually lead to Hollywood enacting whats called The Eastwood Rule, which says an actor cant fire a director and replace him with himself.

I'll go one step further with Eastwood. He's highly overrated as a director. He's a guy who essentially just shoots the script, as is, and is well known to basically just use the first or second take. He's not a meticulous filmmaker in terms of getting great performances from average actors, staging shots, editing, etc. He's highly dependent, even more than most directors, on the quality of the script and the actors. When he's working with great material and great actors you get a great movie. When he's not, you get pedestrian shit like Jersey Boys and Richard Jewell.

On-Topic: Robert Zemackis has had like one decent movie since Castaway, which was Flight. Otherwise his filmography has gone to shit.

You’re cute. Dumb as a post, but cute.

What's with your inability to stay on the subject without resorting to personal attacks? That's all you are doing is attacking my character. Fucking momo - you don't even know me.

Keep on believing what studio execs have to say about movies. BR2049 definitely made money, just not as much as they wanted. They were expecting it to be huge like a Marvel movie. It wasn't so they viewed it as a loss. These people are greedy.

I'll go one step further with Eastwood. He's highly overrated as a director. He's a guy who essentially just shoots the script, as is, and is well known to basically just use the first or second take. He's not a meticulous filmmaker in terms of getting great performances from average actors, staging shots, editing, etc. He's highly dependent, even more than most directors, on the quality of the script and the actors. When he's working with great material and great actors you get a great movie. When he's not, you get pedestrian shit like Jersey Boys and Richard Jewell.

Yeah you can see it in the acting in his movies that he shoots super fast. A lot of westerns have that kind of bad acting almost as a stylistic trademark so it gets by in those. But it really shows in his dramas. Gran Torino in particular was awful. None of the characters in that movie were realistically portrayed.

i think apocalpyse now ruined coppola creatively. its my favorite movie but he went through hell putting it together.

nobody cares about your stupid numbers, @Drain Bamage. BR2049 was a failure at the box office. this is known. it is also a fucking crime, but fortunately producers still had enough faith in Villeneuve to back him for his adaptation of Dune.
Directors not director's.

Most artists do their best work earlier in their careers. Even guys who still make good films like QT, Coens, Spielberg, PTA, Scorcese etc etc undoubtedly have seen a drop off since their prime years.

How many ATG films were made by directors over 60?
disagree wholeheartedly about PTA. his career has been aging like fine wine so far.

QT is interesting. I loved The Hateful Eight (still need to see OUATIH), thought Inglourious Basterds was solid & disliked Django, but still think he has been pretty consistent throughout his career.

Back