dinosaur training?

I mean come on, any goofy asshole with long hair and some silly toys, who wants you to do every single goddamn lift and program every invented, except lifting heavy and training hard.

Here is a fitness magazine should be. Inside should be a spring loaded plastic composite fist that just JACKS you in the jaw the minute you open it, then speakers blare R. Lee Ermy yelling "lift heavy and work hard you fucking rotten pussy chomper.

But see you cant really sell that.

my big toe said:
Swiss Balls are great, but I'm not so sold on the wobble board trainging. There was very interesting debate over at t-mag between coach Davies and Eric Cressey regarding the utililty of using wobble boards. I think Davies lost that battle, you can check it out here and judge for yourself. I'm no expert, but it seems like the risk of injury can be high.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=552432

davies go pwn3d, but that doesnt mean unstable surfaces are without meirts. but liftin weights on them sounds flat out stupid.

My apologies, in trying to throw the word functional strength in my post, i came off as if i know nothing. I only meant i wanted a good core and just not to be good at lifting but have it help me with day to day things and not slow me down. Basically i was asking if dino training is a good training supplement

I didn't notice much in terms of carry over to my weight training from odd object lifting, but it definately made things sore that never had been sore before.

Carrying a heavy ass sandbag on one shoulder hammers your core, trust me.

DT is just a good book though, it's not all about odd object lifting. The book is a bit over the top, but I think overall Brooks does a great job of imparting a lot of good, no bullshit training info to people who are interested. Just be ready for him to blow himself up to seem stronger than he is, and if you think I'm a douche to pretty boys wait until you read Kubik.

Davies did get owned. Cressey impressed the hell out of me.

As for the BOSU balls, I've never done any resistance training with them. Mainly, the wobble boards are used by the physical therapists as part of a rehabilitative program for athletes' ankles, but now they're instituting them more (not just here, where I work) to prevent ankle injury.

Anybody who laughs at BOSU balls hasn't done the right workout with them. Those things CAN be murder. Go do 5 sets of 50 single leg hops on one for each leg. Holy shit, I was sore for three days.

CarnalSalvation said:
I mean come on, any goofy asshole with long hair and some silly toys, who wants you to do every single goddamn lift and program every invented, except lifting heavy and training hard.

Here is a fitness magazine should be. Inside should be a spring loaded plastic composite fist that just JACKS you in the jaw the minute you open it, then speakers blare R. Lee Ermy yelling "lift heavy and work hard you fucking rotten pussy chomper.

But see you cant really sell that.

I agree, but as Cressey pointed out to Davies (who retreated to this argument in absence of any specific scientific or anecdotal data), sometimes this ethic can be zealously overblown to the point where it becomes counterproductive.

I agree the most important factor in the weight room is hard work, but it's how you apply that effort that matters. Hard work without intelligence is as likely to get you hurt as it is to get you big.

BTW, Urban or Carnal, is Coach Davies aka Coach D?

His syntax, diction, tone, and style indicate to me that he is. I could be wrong, identifying authors was never my strong suit, and Davies expresses a knowledge of terms Coach D didn't seem to have at his disposal (plus his spelling is better), but oh man were the similarities striking.

I had wondered as well. I believe they are seperate people however.

you know, that never occured to me and it's a good observation, but I don't beleive they are the same person. CoachD seems to employ quite a different approach to training than davies does. Coach's method was best described as "coachfit" (a play on crossfit) and davies has a more orthodox method of structuring his workouts, but tosses in shit like CB's and wobble boards.

The only reason I made the connection is because I dissed Davies out of nowhere once, and Coach D got overly pissed about it.

But he got overly pissed about everything.

i dont think they are the same person. for one thing, coachd claims to be military, under 5'9" and 220 pounds. thats not coach davies for you. and davies does not have the lifts coachd claims.

Dinosaur Training is an excellent book. I recommend it to everyone. However, it is about lifting in general, including odd objects... Most of what he talks about is barbell stuff.

That said, the only other weightlifting book I have read is Brawn by Stuart McRobert. I find his apporach a bit too conservative (fear of overtraining, no talk of oly stuff or barbell rows), but his principles are sound. I would recommend both for a starter and I think that is a good base.

i never read, brawn, but i did read beyond brawn. stuart is definitely too conservative, but i love his over all approach to lifting. (to sum it up... basically just pick a few core excercises and conecntrate on getting strong on them).

cockysprinter said:
i dont think they are the same person. for one thing, coachd claims to be military, under 5'9" and 220 pounds. thats not coach davies for you. and davies does not have the lifts coachd claims.

Coach D claimed a lot of shit. I called him on one- the recurring refuge where he said he helped with nutrition for the Miletich Camp- and it turned out to be bullshit. Pat Miletich gave me permission to tell you all that.

As for the body type, what, was the picture Urban posted actually of Coach Davies? I thought that was a joke. How can he take himself seriously as a strength and conditioning coach and look like that?

CarnalSalvation said:
The only reason I made the connection is because I dissed Davies out of nowhere once, and Coach D got overly pissed about it.

But he got overly pissed about everything.

Pissed is what men get. Pissy is what Coach D got.

That's enough from me. I'll get carried away.

Oh, and I checked out that crossfit, Urban. It's gonna take me something like an hour to return my blood pressure to normal.

Nevertheless, I got something out of it. The bitch on the left was made for my by God (or the Devil, I don't really care):
crossfithb-mudrun.html

Madmick said:
Coach D claimed a lot of shit. I called him on one- the recurring refuge where he said he helped with nutrition for the Miletich Camp- and it turned out to be bullshit. Pat Miletich gave me permission to tell you all that.

As for the body type, what, was the picture Urban posted actually of Coach Davies? I thought that was a joke. How can he take himself seriously as a strength and conditioning coach and look like that?

i know he claimed a lot of shit, but none of their claims really match up.

i dont know what picture youre talking about, but ive seen pictures of coach davies. yes he does dress like a skateboarder and no, he doesnt have any muscle. anyone whos met coach davies has told me small children lift more than he does.

Madmick said:
Oh, and I checked out that crossfit, Urban. It's gonna take me something like an hour to return my blood pressure to normal.

Nevertheless, I got something out of it. The bitch on the left was made for my by God (or the Devil, I don't really care):
crossfithb-mudrun.html

LOL!!! I was thinking the exact same thing. I saw that picture the other day and just sat there and stared at it. That has got to be one of the most strikingly beautiful women I've ever seen.

And for the record, John Davies is ghey.

Back