Dillashaw is ahead of Cruz at Bantamweight GOAT status

I don't think so, but he isn't far off.

TJ is definitely the better fighter...he's got more power...and is elusive without running around the octagon wasting a bunch of energy. Plus, he didn't lose the fight to Dom in my opinion. TJ took no real damage that fight...Dom's leg was about to fall off from all of TJ's kicks lol not sure how they gave that one to Dom.

And I see some people saying Dom was "Rusty" for the TJ fight. Well, he looked a lot better vs TJ than he did vs Garbrandt...so what's the excuse for the Cody fight?

You can't be the GOAT when you lost to the other guy in the conversation.

Its pretty close, but agree with ts. Two wins over barao and cody are huge. Sure cruz has a win over tj, but it was close. If cruz cant come back this time, tj surpasses him pretty quick.

TJ's UFC record 12-3 ;(Most Wins, Stoppages, KO's in UFC BW History)

Notable wins

• Cody Garbrandt x2

• Renan Barao x2

• John Lineker

• Raphael Assuncao
People forget how much of a monster Barao was and for TJ to wreck him twice is a huge deal and should be an extra feather in the cap for the GOAT Bantamweight talk.

Dom's UFC Record 5-1 (7-1 WEC)
;(Most consecutive UFC/WEC BW title defences: 4)

Notable wins

• Urijah Faber x2

• TJ Dillashaw

• Mighty Mouse

• Joseph Benevidez x2 (WEC)

• Brian Bowles (WEC)

• Scott Jorgensen (WEC)
I know that they all weighed 135 when they fought but there sure are a lot of flyweights on Cruz's record.Not to mention The Mighty Mouse that lost to Dom has got nothing to do with Current Mighty Mouse now.And yet Mighty Mouse still outstruck Cruz back in 2011.Cruz dominated the wrestling though.

Worth noting that if the Cruz decision had gone TJ’s way (which was incredibly possible), TJ’s reign could essentially read:

Renan Barao - won the belt (KO)

Joe Soto - first defense (KO)

Renan Barao - second defense (KO)

Dominick Cruz - third defense (Decision)

Raphael Assuncao - fourth defense (Decision)

John Lineker - fifth defense (Decision)

Cody Garbrandt - sixth defense (KO)

Cody Garbrandt - seventh defense (KO)

That’s not just “bantamweight GOAT” status; that’s “all time great” status.

Obviously it’s a hypothetical, but a realistic one. If TJ had gotten the instant rematch against Cruz (which would be a fair instant rematch, in my opinion, for an exciting uber close split decision), his career could read very different if you could count Assuncao and Lineker as legit defenses.
This is Sherdog so you are welcome to imagine 7 title defenses and All Time GOAT status but I will direct you straight to these Sherdog Facts. BW is still called Manlet and therefore doesn't count as 90% of Sherdoggers could destroy all fighters from FW and under with the other 10 % in a coinflip SD. If DJ had won vs Cruz he could have then won the FlyW title being the first to hold 2 UFC belts consecutively and most certainly could have moved up to dethrone Aldo because he is chinny and been a 3 division simultaneous champion.

The Reality is TJ is close and needs to fight Cruz to see who it is. TJ is a good fighter but he is very unlikeable since he instantly starts ducking when he has the belt. Tried to duck Cody to fight DJ and go after the smaller man's title. Not once did he ask to go up after Aldo or Max. His belt wasn't even around his waist after definitvely beating COdy a 2nd time to remove all doubt and he starts ducking Cruz. He is hoping Cruz never fights him and its funny because he should want to beat him to prove he is the GOAT at 135. If Cruz hurt his knee or something else and never fights again there will always be the argument that Cruz was better especially since he won head to head and was simply unlucky with injuries. Fight Cruz now while you can or forever be 2nd place.

TJ is a good fighter but he is very unlikeable since he instantly starts ducking when he has the belt. .
What the fuck? Cody didn't even deserve a title shot in the FIRST PLACE.When he got title shot against Dom his best win was Takeya Mizugaki.He beat Cruz tho.After that he got KO'd in his first title defense.He didn't deserve his first title shot let alone his second one.TJ was right to want to not give a rematch.Well,eventually he did and beat him.

Not once did he ask to go up after Aldo or Max.
TJ is already at an optimum weight class where he fights guys his size and doesn't need to drop insane amounts of weight.If TJ moved up, he would be at an incredible size disadvantage. He wouldn't still be bigger like Conor.Not to mention Max is a featherweight that should be in lightweight.Also you are wrong.TJ wanted to fight Jose Aldo once.It's not like he is ducking from a challenge like you are making out.

https://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/t-j-dillashaw-wants-fellow-ufc-champ-aldo-if-mcgregor-cant-beat-siver

“I know they want to give him McGregor, so I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that McGregor loses to Siver,” Dillashaw said. “I don’t see how it’s going to happen, but if that happens, hopefully I can call out Aldo. That’d be so sweet to be the first one to hold two belts at the same time.”

he starts ducking Cruz. He is hoping Cruz never fights him and its funny because he should want to beat him to prove he is the GOAT at 135. If Cruz hurt his knee or something else and never fights again there will always be the argument that Cruz was better especially since he won head to head and was simply unlucky with injuries. Fight Cruz now while you can or forever be 2nd place.
How is he ducking Cruz? Please explain? What did Dom do to deserve a title shot? He lost his last fight and hasn't even fought for two years and recently pulled out of a fight.Dom didn't give TJ a rematch after a close fight.Why would TJ?

In fact it was Cruz that ducked TJ when he was champ.When reporters asked him about Dillashaw he replied ''I don't need to prove him anything'' after a close fight where a lot of people scored for TJ

<36>

Last edited:
TJ did Cruz's dirty work by beating Barao. As much as Cruz likes to say Barao is a stationary target and he would do the same thing that TJ did, he was sitting on the sidelines while TJ took care of him, twice.

In almost 7 years, the only people Cruz beat are a fight away from retirement Faber, SD over TJ, and KO of Mizugaki. And he got destroyed by Cody, who TJ beat twice now.

Cruz is living off his past glory at this point, which was impressive, but the sport has progressed and TJ is just a more complete fighter.

And yes, he was beating 125ers in the WEC.

You said Cruz as more time on being #1 BW in the world than most.Stop trying to change the subject.Idiot.Also i know the period.TJ won the belt in may 2014 was supposed to defend his title in august 2014 and Barao pulled out and Soto stepped in.The fact that TJ agreed to defend his title on such a short notice showed how great champ he was.then he was supposed to defend his title in april 2015 but TJ broke his rib.And defened his title on july 25 2015 against Barao and lost to title to Dom on jan 18 2016

About Dominick he was inactive for 3 years once, and over 1 year another time.. He dominated the weight class for like 4 years IF you include from his BW debut to the time he lost the title, and remove the years of inactivity. And in that time he stacked his record with a bunch of bloated flyweights. I think he is probably still the bantamweight GOAT at least for old school fans, but to say there is no doubt is totally ridiculous.

Stop with your subjective crap and give me FACTS.

For how long exactly Cruz has been #1, undisputed champ?
For how long has TJ been?

Faber was a shell of himself the second and thir time, and beating a green and undersized DJ isn’t as impressive as Barão or Cody TWICE.

It's pretty fair to me.

Here comes another idiotic assumption - that Faber was shell of himself. Whenever it suits your argument, of course.

FACTS are: Cruz is the longest reigning, the most defending BW champ in the history of the sport.

cruz has better wins.if tj beats cruz in rm he might

Nothing was subjective from what i wrote except i believe TJ is ahead of Cruz from that long writing.Dummy.

For how long exactly Cruz has been #1, undisputed champ?
For how long has TJ been?

Here comes another idiotic assumption - that Faber was shell of himself. Whenever it suits your argument, of course.

FACTS are: Cruz is the longest reigning, the most defending BW champ in the history of the sport.
Now that's idiotic assumption.That Dom is the longest reining.Prove it instead of spitting bullshit.

Last edited:
Tj based his style off cruz, its no secret.its the reason he came out and said that because cruz brings the same tools to the fight as he did.

Cruz wins based off footwork and cardio alone, barao would of gassed by the end of the 2nd.

The Barao asumption is exactly that. An asumption. There are many factors speaking against your thesis but as it only can be hypothetical there is no sense in discussing it.

TJ did not base his style after Cruz at all. Thats like saying Floyd and Manny have the same style because they are quick on their feet. TJs whole movement is different in any basic skill be it stepping, punching, kicking.

I hope no one ever does copy Cruz style as you cant generate any power like that and will be dependant on running and scoring points by touch up.

No he isn't. Cruz was long time champion for reason. I don't really see TJ beating Cruz run because his striking defense is really questionable.

GOAT discussions are pointless, Cruz achieved more as BW, but tbh TJ's fighting style is way sharper, and more interesting, so I will watch TJ rather than Dominick, especially Cruz after all his injuries.

I really like Cruz, and I hope the loss to Cody motivates him in a similar way the Faber loss early in his career did.
Growth is to me the biggest factor in how much I like a fighter. Fighters that stop growing their skills, are fighters I lose interest in.

Nothing was subjective from what i wrote except i believe TJ is ahead of Cruz from that long writing.Dummy.

Now that's idiotic assumption.That Dom is the longest reining.Prove it instead of spitting bullshit.

Dominick Cruz being the longest reigning #1 BW in the world is a FACT.
No need to prove FACTS. FACTS are public, open to the basic knowledge.
I'm not your father (or maybe I am, ask your mother what your father's name is) so I'm not going to teach you how to find the information.

So in conclusion: Dominick Cruz, the logest reigning #1 BW in the world, with the most title defenses , is undisputed Greatest Bantamweight Of All Time.

Dominick Cruz being the longest reigning #1 BW in the world is a FACT.
No need to prove FACTS. FACTS are public, open to the basic knowledge.
I'm not your father (or maybe I am, ask your mother what your father's name is) so I'm not going to teach you how to find the information.

So in conclusion: Dominick Cruz, the logest reigning #1 BW in the world, with the most title defenses , is undisputed Greatest Bantamweight Of All Time.
Translation:I don't have any proof at all but imma say Dom is the longest reigning #1 BW in the world because i can't stand being wrong.

That's what i thought.Stop wasting my time.

The Barao asumption is exactly that. An asumption. There are many factors speaking against your thesis but as it only can be hypothetical there is no sense in discussing it.

TJ did not base his style after Cruz at all. Thats like saying Floyd and Manny have the same style because they are quick on their feet. TJs whole movement is different in any basic skill be it stepping, punching, kicking.

I hope no one ever does copy Cruz style as you cant generate any power like that and will be dependant on running and scoring points by touch up.
Educated guesses is one of the greatest aspects in the fight game, a conversation thats been had by many men over the centuries.

Personally Ill take Tj’s perspective on the subject.

“I tried telling Urijah [Faber] when I was cornering him the first time he fought Barao that he needed Dominick Cruz footwork to beat the champ,” Dillashaw revealed on “UFC Tonight.” “I thought that Cruz could beat Renan Barao if they were to fight. It’d be a tough fight, but if he was going to beat him, it was going to be because of his footwork.

“So by telling Urijah what I wanted him to do, I just kind of copycatted it and used that movement and that footwork to get out of the way and create my angles to keep myself elusive.”

Translation:I don't have any proof at all but imma say Dom is the longest reigning #1 BW in the world because i can't stand being wrong.

That's what i thought.Stop wasting my time.

I see you're slow. FACTS need no proof. Facts need observation.
If you can observe, you can't debate/

Dominick Cruz is the longest reigning and the most defending BW champion of all time.
End of story. End of debate. Adios muchacha

Back