Difference between Submission Grappling and Gi Jiu-jitsu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayOliver

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Whats up. I'm a MMA fan but I know nothing about grappling outside of what I've seen in fights and what Bas or Rogan might say. What I want to know is what are the differences big and small between Submission Grappling and Gi Jiu-jitstu? I'm wanting to sort of get more information about differences in training and competitions. Just anything that is a signifigant difference between the two would be appreciated.

Also if a school offers gi and no gi jiu-jitsu...is there a signifigant drop off in learning and development because youre not specializing in on area or does the learning just blend together and make you better overall? Maybe a steeper learning curve?

jiu jitsu with the gi is more technical because when a guy has a grip on your gi its much more substantial than if he was just holding onto bare skin. also in nogi when ur sweaty and shit its much easier to get out of submissions because sometimes u just slip right out. therefore the gi makes things more technical cause you gotta think a little bit ahead due to the fact that its harder to escape. also there are more techniques you have to be aware of such as gi chokes etc. as well since most grappling starts on the feet as far as takedowns wrestling would be emphasized in no gi, whereas gi may have more of a judo emphasis as far as takedowns go.

There are some guards you can't adapt to no gi such as the spider guard & de la riva guard where your aided by the gi to grip. I haven't done much no gi except for help training others going to a no gi at my school. What I found is, no gi means you have less to defend (not worry about collor chokes or people using your gi to sweep/control you) but on the flip side you have less offense. I'd recommend going to a school that offers both, I think at my place we switch to no gi once or twice a year for about a 2 months or so in prep for no gi tournaments. I have found that no gi ways of controlling such as under/over hooks & controlling of the neck have aided my gi game.

flyingknee16 said:
no gi is better.

Erm, why?

I just started doing no-gi and was surprised how hard it was. I suspect that people who go the other way feel the same though.

IMO, it's probably best to train both.

no-gi takes more skill/technique. ( Ibet I get flamed all day for saying that)

you should train both but if you're only gonna do 1 do no-gi as its more realistic to street/mma

It is all the same martial art... Difference is that in SW there is no gi

It's harder to control your opponent in no-gi. It's best to do both but no gi is my preference considering that it is more realistic.

no gi is definately more realistic and better if your training for mma, because your opponent is very rarely going to come out wearing a gi. look up what eddie bravo has to say on the matter

Thanks for the replies fellas. Another question though...what are the differences between subwrestling competitions and jiu-jitsu tournaments? Do they score the same by position changes and tapouts or are they different scoring systems?

JayOliver said:
Thanks for the replies fellas. Another question though...what are the differences between subwrestling competitions and jiu-jitsu tournaments? Do they score the same by position changes and tapouts or are they different scoring systems?
different tournaments have diff rules ... if you tell me where you are looking to compete i can give you more info

JayOliver said:

Usually the "Submission Grappling" tournaments have fewer rules. Leg locks and heel hooks too are allowed. You don't get penalized, usually, for backing out of the guard. No gi tournys allow guard slams, neck cranks, some allow grabbing the throat with an open hand. All of the above are big no no's in BJJ tourney's. The scoring systems can be somewhat different too.

SW is looser and more dynamic than BJJ(with a gi)

With a gi on, if you make one mistake it's game over, there's no slipping out of holds or exploding out of positions. If you give someone a triangle by accident you're basically fucked. While in no-gi you can make those sorts of mistakes and get by on speed and athleticism.

Because of this people are more willing to move aggressively and take risks without a gi on than they are with the gi, which makes the whole game faster and more dynamic.

There are also a lot of differences in availible technique, some moves need a gi to work, and some moves won't work if you're wearing a gi. So the strategies are a bit different.

There isn't a "better" system, the gi is a very helpfull tool for no-gi training, with a gi on you will be forced to learn NOT to make mistakes and develop good habits/dispose of bad habits that you wouldn't if you trained exclusively no-gi. However if you get to used to using your gi and then take it off you can be in trouble.

Gi matches tend to be a slower pace because there are more and tighter grips and it's much harder to escape positions and submissions. No-Gi matches tend to be faster slipping in and out of possitions, more scrambles, and more explosive submissions.

Rules are a hard one to call because there isn't even, really, unified rules within either disipline, let alone both of them combined. Aften times, though, no-gi competition follows pretty much the usual gi rules with the exception that they allow twisting leg locks at intermediate or better.

Both gi and no-gi are divided up into weight divisions, and some have an absolute class or open weight. BJJ gi competitions are also further divided by belt level, white, blue, purple, brown, and black, where as no-gi is typically devided into experience levels which can include all or some of the following, novice, beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional.

wenispinkle said:
no gi is definately more realistic and better if your training for mma, because your opponent is very rarely going to come out wearing a gi. look up what eddie bravo has to say on the matter

neither is more realistic than the other. people wear pants and jackets on the street all the time. i don't, normally, go out in public wearing my sprawl shorts and a rash guard.
they are both good to train. i say people should train what they enjoy. most people are not going to be the MMA or BJJ champ so just have fun and get as good as you can at a sport you enjoy.

Do a bit of both. BJJ is more technical and at times slower but will usually aid your no gi game, but no gi will make you have to adapt to using different grips, speed and power in your grappling while trying to maintain technical ability.

As for no gi being more realistic, only if you live in a place where it is permanently sunny where everyone wears shorts and T shirts. I generally see more people with jean, hoodies and jackets but that may be due to the typical English weather we have.

FiendishOne said:
no-gi takes more skill/technique. ( Ibet I get flamed all day for saying that)
not going to flame you. just point out that you are wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back