Difference between Submission Grappling and Gi Jiu-jitsu...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some like the Gi-game, some like the no Gi-game.
Just look at Roger Gracie who admitted to training only 4-5 weeks without gi before this year

i like the gi when i'm up against someone not as experienced as me. up against someone who is better than me i like no gi. dont let the popularity of no gi let you think the gi is useless. training with the gi gives you a huge arsenal of offensive moves to use on the street, that no gi doesnt.

ive had the opportunity to teach some total noobs through the bjj club at my school, and the ones that went no gi from the start definitely have some bad habits, defensively especially. you slip out easily and dont learn technical escapes as a result.

relying on the gi is bad too. you get lazy offensively because you have more control. your no gi guard will be weak, especially if you are like so many people who work collar chokes to set up everything. you dont learn the best possible body positioning and dont have to be as dynamic.

the obvious answer is to do both.

I prefer learning with the Gi on because like someone else has said, it is more technical. No Gi you can wiggle out alot easier and theres less to grab onto- I tend to find myself using strength abit more in No Gi (though the matches are way more fast paced). However, if you can apply a submission with a Gi on you can do it smoother without a Gi because you are training under a handicap basically with all sorts of lapels and belts your opponent can grab onto. So if your Gi game is slick, your no Gi is way slicker. Whereas if you only train no Gi, you will not be familiar with the Gi game (and the guys who train with Gis can just adapt to the no Gi game). But ofcourse, its always good to mix up the two. My two cents.

I enjoy and compete in both gi and no-gi competitions. For me, training in each can help the other. I have found that transitioning from one to the other is much easier than it used to be, but that may be because I train them both pretty regularly.

grappling with the Gi is much easier b/c you are going at a much slower rate because either one or both opponents can slow the pace of the match by simply grabbing onto the opponents gi and holding on.

Also, you're technique doesn't have to be perfect, as you have "handles" that you can grab onto for every single technique, in order to steady yourself, to hold your opponent, or to apply leverage.

No GI is a much faster, strenuous game, that suffers much less mistakes. Your opponent is slippery and wet and you have nothing to control him with except good technique, brute strength, and your wits.

they both compliment each other.

gi makes your sub defence better, no-gi makes your sub offence better.

no-gi is a bit more 'backwards and forwards', positions change more and you can take more risks but it's easier for your opponent to escape

gi is more patient, thinking about grips, a lot more attacking options etc

I started out doing Gi but eventually started doing no Gi and it was much harder..I was so used to grabbing and pulling that Gi i got worked my first few classes with No Gi..I Only do No Gi now.

submission wrestling (or its cousin catch wrestling) has techniques that will get you boo'd (or disqualified) at any BJJ torrney. Personal opinion is that it is much better suited to self defense/real world situations.
the Gi no Gi thing, just a thought or two. sometimes it easier to teach a new person grappling or BJJ with the Gi first. The handles or grips are easier to master and the new student can concentrate on his basic techniques rather than worrying about slipping on a sweaty wrist. After the basics are natural, go to no Gi and work on the new set of grips.

S.D.Force said:
grappling with the Gi is much easier b/c you are going at a much slower rate because either one or both opponents can slow the pace of the match by simply grabbing onto the opponents gi and holding on.

Also, you're technique doesn't have to be perfect, as you have "handles" that you can grab onto for every single technique, in order to steady yourself, to hold your opponent, or to apply leverage.

No GI is a much faster, strenuous game, that suffers much less mistakes. Your opponent is slippery and wet and you have nothing to control him with except good technique, brute strength, and your wits.

i'm guessing you have never traind with a gi, or have very limited experience.

No Gi: Best style to train in for MMA- solid sprawls are developed by facing wrestlers, sub defense is developed and you can learn cool subs.

Gi: All around fun style, develops forearm strength and makes you work hard cuz the Gi is heavy compared to just shorts. It makes you hotter too. Gi is king for fighting guys in cold weather ( See my location, it's nearly always cold! ) and it is a great scene for meeting freinds and getting fit.

no gi all the way for me.

from day one i have never trained in a gi.

the obvious reasons are that for one thing, i want to do mma eventually and in mma no one wears a gi nowadays (save yoshida and those judokas...) the other thing is, i dont want to spend the extra cash to get a gi... and third of all, i like being able to say i'm not a blue belt or whatever and still do well against them (since i am assuming that based on the competition i've faced and how i've done i am a blue belt).

In order to be a complete and well rounded grappler you should be good at both. I think it is much better to start off with a gi because the game is slower and it teaches you more technique.

Both gi and no gi complement each other quite well, and the best SUBMISSION guys usually train both. (i.e. Abu Dhabi winners Roger Gracie, Jacare etc.) In fact Gracie submitted every one of his opponents, and he trains with the gi the majority of the time. Training with the gi speaks for itself in no gi competition. Marcelo Garcia only trains once a week withouth the gi. On the DVD jiu-jitsu lifestyle, he talks of the importance of learning and training with a gi to achieve important technique.

In many schools in Brazil, they don't even let their students train without the gi until blue belt. I myself enjoy both equally, and think that training both helps complement the other. I train 75% gi and 25% no gi, and before no-gi tournaments I take the gi off and train a few weeks without it.

The people who hate on the gi are almost always guys who don't train it. From my experiences in grappling, in a no-gi match I would put my money on a cross-trained grappler (both gi and no gi training) against a guy who has only trained without the gi, training time being the same.

You can't go wrong either way, but it is of my opinion and many others that to be a complete and well-rounded grappler, you should train and be proficient in both.

In the Gi it forces you to keep good posture in guard (at least imo), if you don't in nogi you can get away with it slightly, if you don't in Gi you are going to get collar choked right away. Also as previously mentioned it is harder to slip out of certain submissions and leg locks imo are harder to get as they can latch onto your lapel and bring themselves up.

I find both GI and NOGI really quite fun, i don't understand the people who are die hard nogi and hate the gi and then vice versa.

Jiu-jitsu is done with a GI
Luta Livre is done without the GI (submission wrestling)

infamous mattyd said:
not going to flame you. just point out that you are wrong

I don't think he is wrong, it does take more technique to set up a sub properly on someone who's covered in sweat and can easily slip out.

jiu jitsu with the gi is more technical because when a guy has a grip on your gi its much more substantial than if he was just holding onto bare skin. also in nogi when ur sweaty and shit its much easier to get out of submissions because sometimes u just slip right out. therefore the gi makes things more technical cause you gotta think a little bit ahead due to the fact that its harder to escape. also there are more techniques you have to be aware of such as gi chokes etc. as well since most grappling starts on the feet as far as takedowns wrestling would be emphasized in no gi, whereas gi may have more of a judo emphasis as far as takedowns go.
Maybe you've got a point, but I think more importantly that they are just two different ball games. You use different grips and different techniques. It's easier to get out of some submissions in no gi, for an example the armbar, but its easier to defend submissions like RNCs and guillotines, since the gi is in the way. Personally I find Kimuras and leglocks more effective in no gi, since he can't grab onto his clothes to defend the Kimura and it's easier to move from his upper body to his lower body for the leglock since he can't control your upper body in the same way when you're not wearing a jacket. You usually also have to stay tighter to your opponent in no gi, especially in the guard, since you can't control him with your hands in the same way. With a gi you can use techniques like spider guard etc. As Mirada said, no gi is also faster and more dynamic.

while it's great and all for everyone to say that it's best to train in both, if you're like most normal people, you have work or school and a family or girlfriend and you can't/don't have time...

so i think it comes down to this:

if you want to do MMA or submission grappling (no gi), do no gi.

if you want to wear the gi, do brazilian jiu jitsu with a gi.

that's it.

Big Red said:
There are some guards you can't adapt to no gi such as the spider guard & de la riva guard where your aided by the gi to grip. I haven't done much no gi except for help training others going to a no gi at my school. What I found is, no gi means you have less to defend (not worry about collor chokes or people using your gi to sweep/control you) but on the flip side you have less offense. I'd recommend going to a school that offers both, I think at my place we switch to no gi once or twice a year for about a 2 months or so in prep for no gi tournaments. I have found that no gi ways of controlling such as under/over hooks & controlling of the neck have aided my gi game.

de la riva guard is a piece of cake gi or no gi.. where is this special grip youre talking about?+

Is it really that hard to do no-gi once a week or after class on gi nights? Why must gi and no-gi be at war?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back