Difference between shin, and foot kicks?

Just one to point out that was a terrible foot kick. No rotation of the hip, the bas foot was static and not driving. That said still more than enough force to knock some out or break bones.

It looked pretty damn good to me.

I find shin kicks a little safer because even though I have flexibility in my legs I find that my ankle is prone to bending back when I land wrong with a foot kick but with a shin kick I just get a little bit of pain and then carry on because the margin for error is visibly larger.

I'm pretty sure this thread is about round kicks. Round kicks with the shin break ribs, arms, and legs pretty frequently.

I think people are having trouble grasping the concept of kicking THROUGH the target vs kicking the target. A Thai style round kick with the shin isn't thrown like a whip, its thrown like a baseball bat.

I think more people are having a problem separating kicking mechanics from what they are landing with.

The thread is about foot vs. shin but many people are comparing MT roundhouses, which are intended to land with the shin, to how that kick feels thrown for the toe. But most of the people commenting don't seem to have much background actually throwing kicks that land with the ball of the foot with any consistency.

And I think we can all agree that Vera's "karate" kick had pretty poor form. Plus, if it's a side snap kick, why would you compare it to roundhouse for power? They have different purposes. If it's a karate roundhouse, it's one of the worst ones I've ever seen. No pivot, no follow through, extension from chamber is wrong, he doesn't turn his hips over, doesn't come down through the target, etc.

In answering the thread starter's question (as it pertains to round house kicks), I think we can agree that shin kicks land with more power. This is because the tibia is less likely to deform, or get injured compared with the foot. Also the instep is a much larger surface. This can be proven by the fact that you never throw a kick landing with the instep to an opponents shin or thigh because the shin on foot contact would be more dangerous to the foot.

However kicking with the foot does provide more reach. Furthermore, it is obvious from K-1 that round house kicks that land with the instep have enough power to knock an opponent out.

In answering the thread starter's question (as it pertains to round house kicks), I think we can agree that shin kicks land with more power. This is because the tibia is less likely to deform, or get injured compared with the foot. Also the instep is a much larger surface. This can be proven by the fact that you never throw a kick landing with the instep to an opponents shin or thigh because the shin on foot contact would be more dangerous to the foot.

However kicking with the foot does provide more reach. Furthermore, it is obvious from K-1 that round house kicks that land with the instep have enough power to knock an opponent out.

I'm curious why so many think that kicking with the foot means that you're landing with the instep. The point of contact for kicking with the foot is either the ball or the heel.

If you land with the instep, it's because you missed with the ball. It's the technical equivalent of failing to turn the hips over in a MT roundhouse and landing with your calf instead of your shin. No good kick would do that.

Very traditional martial arts kick with only the balls or the heel. I know this is true of karate. However, in more modern forms, such as kyokushin, the instep, by the ankle joint is used. This is because it is easier and can be used for unusual surfaces

What MA do you practice?

Very traditional martial arts kick with only the balls or the heel. I know this is true of karate. However, in more modern forms, such as kyokushin, the instep, by the ankle joint is used. This is because it is easier and can be used for unusual surfaces

What MA do you practice?

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info (i was just about to re-edit my post with a question about who trains for instep :).

As for me - an off shoot of shotokan for most of my effort (with some experience in some other things)

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info (i was just about to re-edit my post with a question about who trains for instep :).

As for me - an off shoot of shotokan for most of my effort (with some experience in some other things)

I think in Muay Thai you're supposed to hit with the instep for head kicks, and on some occasions for middle kicks.

If you are asking what would be the most effective technique. I couldn't really say without actually performing research on it. Obviously both the ball of the foot and heel would still provide more deformation than the shin, as both are very fleshy surfaces. Both would also probably be safer surfaces than the instep. The ball of the foot would allow for the transfer of energy down the metatarsals (long bones in the foot), just like with a punch, allowing for less damage to any one area or tissue. The heel would strike with the calcaneus which is a very strong bone, and energy could be safely transfered into the tibea. However, both techniques would be more difficult to pull off, which may actually detract from the amount of power the kick could generate.

I think the thing that should be realized is that both kicking with the instep, and the shin can provide enough power for ko's or damage to the torso, and that has been proven time and time again in kickboxing and MMA. Whether one style of kicking is truly more powerful than the other would require fairly indepth research (far more than in that video).

Edit: I do kyokushin myself, but I also have to imagine that MT guys strike the surface with their instep as well. Otherwise they woudl really have to reach

Ball of foot kicks are not that hard to pull off. It is my primary striking surface, mostly do to that being were I had the most training. Not many kicks hurt more than a ball of foot kick done with dress shoes or pointy cowboy boots on. :)

Ball of foot kicks are not that hard to pull off. It is my primary striking surface, mostly do to that being were I had the most training. Not many kicks hurt more than a ball of foot kick done with dress shoes or pointy cowboy boots on. :)

I think the difficulty comes in always landing the kick safely. I'm sure in sparring situations most of us have experienced landing a kick with the part of the body they didn't expect. Maybe because I don't practice it regularly but I don't use it because I would be worried about jamming my toes. You also have a lot less control of the kick, the harder you throw it. Just don't come near me with steel toed boots on :icon_cry2

Back