Diego Sanchez - FINALLY a Black Belt in BJJ

YesYesYes88

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations to my favourite fighter of all time Diego Sanchez who finally received his black belt in BJJ today from Roberto Tussa Alencar! Definitely long overdue since he deserved it 8 years ago in 2005. One of the best Grapplers in MMA but the reason he only recently got it is because up until 2007/2008, he was never ranked in the BJJ and never really trained in the GI. Like Matt Hughes, who is a stud, but never practiced in the GI. But we all know how good Hughes' BJJ is.

Diego is a Blackbelt in Gaidojutsui (Greg Jacksons form of submission grappling) and has been for a long time. In fact, he was one of Greg's first students to become a blackbelt (might be first). Also, Diego was a brown belt in BJJ under Saulo Ribiero and anyone that knows much about BJJ, he is arguably the hardest guy to obtain a brown from. Diego was close to obtaining his black belt from him but unfortunately, in 2010, they had a falling out and Diego left the gym. So he had no real chance of getting his black belt.

Anyways, so happy! Diego is finally a black belt! One of the best grapplers ever in MMA. Back in 2005/2006/2007, he definitely was the best grappler in the WW division in my opinion.

Congrats again Diego!!

256z2hg.jpg

YES!

Good thing he got it before Gil kills him...

Deigo back in the day was relentless with his grappling was definitely one of the best grapplers in his weight division.
With that said he wasn't the best with Hughes and BJ there.
Even GSP probably still had one of the best if not the best grappling back then.

Deigo grappling was still amazing to watch and I think you are right about being at a BB level in 05.

I hope it helps get back into title contention.

long overdue. Diego is a great grappler. I actually think he will suprise gil in their fight.

long overdue. Diego is a great grappler. I actually think he will suprise gil in their fight.

Great Post. Completely agree with everything you said. Man I would love to see the Diego of old against Gil. The young, hungry lion that was 19-0, undefeated in the octagon.... Imagine the Diego sanchez that beat Diaz and Karo Parisyan shows up.

Meh it seems like belts are handed out everyday now with little prestige.

Meh it seems like belts are handed out everyday now with little prestige.

You fruitloop!!! If anything, Diego is a TRUE blackbelt who deserved it in 2005. Any old school, knowledgeable mma and BJJ fan would tell you! Don't you dare think otherwise!

Diego is arguably the best BJJ and grappler in the LW division. Who do you think is better?

diego's biggest downfall was trying to be a striker.

Great Post. Completely agree with everything you said. Man I would love to see the Diego of old against Gil. The young, hungry lion that was 19-0, undefeated in the octagon.... Imagine the Diego sanchez that beat Diaz and Karo Parisyan shows up.

Shame you won't sig bet for "your favorite fighter"

finally

long overdue

he deserved it 8 years ago

but the reason he

but never practiced in the GI

was close to

but unfortunately

Congrats to him. But sounds like a LOT of excuses are being made on his behalf. I quoted those parts.

That's cool.

His fight with Melendez is going to be a lot closer than most people are predicting. Honestly I'm about 50/50.

You fruitloop!!! If anything, Diego is a TRUE blackbelt who deserved it in 2005. Any old school, knowledgeable mma and BJJ fan would tell you! Don't you dare think otherwise!

Diego is arguably the best BJJ and grappler in the LW division. Who do you think is better?

Uh the best grappler in the LW division? Uh yeah sure.

Not only is he a poor LW wrestler his submission skillet is below average as well.

Didn't did he like go 0 for 10 in TDs against easy going Gomi? Damn...

That's cool.

He's been BB level for years and years already.

He out grappled Nick Diaz. What more can you say.

Back