Die Microsoft

Just got a new comp loaded with Win8. Tried setting up email client but guess what, Microshit did not build POP3 support into Win8 so now I have to check email on a webpage rather than my trusty Thunderbird.

Thanks asshats

So, just for shits and giggles I downloaded thunderbird on my laptop running win8 and added the account my ISP provided me as a POP3 account. Works just fine.
Sounds like good old PEBCAC. Or, like a sales dude from Dell who gave a demo of EqualLogic put it, a "40/60 error". (source of problem sits between 40 and 60 centimeters from the monitor)

I'm right you're wrong the END. move on with YOUR LIFE. Is that better lol? Omg im so tired
Nope.
you_fail_again_purple_humor_funny_desktop_1280x1024_hd-wallpaper-16694.jpg

So, just for shits and giggles I downloaded thunderbird on my laptop running win8 and added the account my ISP provided me as a POP3 account. Works just fine.
Sounds like good old PEBCAC. Or, like a sales dude from Dell who gave a demo of EqualLogic put it, a "40/60 error". (source of problem sits between 40 and 60 centimeters from the monitor)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/why-wont-my-email-work-in-windows-8s-mail-app/#ixzz2FOvDLCSQ

Windows 8 supports an up-and-coming email protocol called IMAP, but many Internet service providers

Last edited:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/8-worst-windows-8-annoyances-how-fix-them-962136
5. Windows Mail Doesn't Support POP Accounts
Windows

Courtesy of LAPTOP

Many ISPs give users POP email accounts, but Windows 8's built-in mail app not only doesn't support POP connections, it actively disses POP users. The first time you open Windows Mail, if the program doesn't recognize your login email address as Outlook or Hotmail.com, it asks you if that address is POP, IMAP or Exchange. If you select POP, it rudely tells you that Mail doesn't support POP3 accounts and that you should get an IMAP or Exchange account instead.

You can, of course, use a different mail client, but if you want to stick with Windows Mail there's a simple solution. Set up your Outlook.com, Hotmail or Gmail account to check your POP mail and then add that account to Windows Mail. In Outlook.com, the option to send/receive mail from a POP account is listed under the More Mail Settings menu.

Yes, the built-in Mail client doesn't support pop3, but you said in the OP that you couldn't use thunderbird as a pop3 client on windows 8. That's incorrect, it works great.
And the built in mail app has worse issues than lack of pop support, it's a pretty shitty mail reader in general.

Yes, the built-in Mail client doesn't support pop3, but you said in the OP that you couldn't use thunderbird as a pop3 client on windows 8. That's incorrect, it works great.
And the built in mail app has worse issues than lack of pop support, it's a pretty shitty mail reader in general.

Then I don't know what it is. I set up Thunderbird (the same settings as my Win7 machine, double checked with RR tech support) but when I tried to get mail it just said "Connecting to pop-server..." and it never did connect. This went on for hours, me trying to get mail and it never connecting to the pop server. I told this to the tech support and that's when they told me Win8 didn't support POP3. Maybe the pop server was fubar at the time but I expected the tech support to tell me if the pop server was down. I will try it again and get back with you.

serves you right for buying a prebuilt with windows shite on it.

STFU you useless shitstain. Stay the fuck out of this thread if you have nothing intelligent to say. You sound like some high school douche bag.

To the adults in here (haha)

Holy crap it works now. I guess the pop server was down when that idiot tech support lady told me it wasn't.

From the chat transcript

[2:11:47 PM] mike_ > i just got a new windows 8 computer. when i set up my email client (I use Mozilla Thunderbird) it doesnt seem to connect to the pop server. I can send email but I can't receive it

[2:13:27 PM] Donna Martinez > In this case, you need to download Windows Live mail.

[2:19:47 PM] mike_ > so you are saying the only way to use pop email in Win8 is with Windows Live mail?

[2:19:49 PM] Donna Martinez > It is issue with Windows 8 as it does not support POP server with any other email client except Windows Live mail.

STFU you useless shitstain. Stay the fuck out of this thread if you have nothing intelligent to say. You sound like some high school douche bag.

To the adults in here (haha)

Holy crap it works now. I guess the pop server was down when that idiot tech support lady told me it wasn't.

From the chat transcript

Haha, nice.
Gotta love tech support.

Haha, nice.
Gotta love tech support.

When she said only Live Mail would work with POP I thought it was because it was a Microsoft product they were forcing us to use. It really threw me and with the pop server not working at the time I took her word for it. I wasn't about to use it or that stupid built MAIL app so I was pissed for no reason. Dumb bitch had me thinking something that wasn't true.

Back