Opinion Did you find this speech to be "Controversial?"

Social Distance Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I follow a lot of people on Twitter, many on the far left, and many on the far right, and a lot of people deemed to be "controversial?"

A lot of conservative and right wing leaning folk I do follow have expressed disgust and/or have condemned the speech made by Michelle Williams at the Golden Globes.

Here's the full speech in the first link, and several different links offering their own perspective.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/michelle-williams-golden-globes-speech-video-abortion-choice.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/05/entertainment/michelle-williams-golden-globes-2020-speech/index.html

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...-williams-golden-globe-abortion-rights-speech

Many have interpreted Michelle Williams's speech as championing women's reproductive rights and the right to "choose."

on the flip side many others have interpreted her speech as, "I won this award because I had an abortion, because I had a right to choose to murder my child."

for example: "Michelle Williams got up on stage while pregnant and bragged about killing her child, then the audience full of rich, drug addled narcissists applauded while crying tears of joy. Hollywood is a cesspool. Gervais was way understating the case."

"Yesterday, Michelle Williams accredited ABORTION for her Golden Globe, and suggested that all women should be in favor of it. As a woman, I am sick of this belief that all women should be okay with murdering their children for personal gain. "

"Michelle Williams wants you believe that you have to kill your children in order to be successful. Well, I have 8 children and have met all of my educational and career goals. To say that we must choose is an insult to the strength of women and motherhood."

some have even gone as far as to say that this is proof that the Hollywood Elite are satan worshippers and regularly sacrifice children. @TheComebackKid feel free to comment on this btw.

anyway, what are your thoughts?
how did you construe it?

all thoughts welcome.

In other words, are you pro-choice?

That's really most of what this comes down to. If you are pro-choice, you don't view the action as "murdering" babies, which seems to be the main criticism of her speech based on the quotes you supplied.

I guess the secondary question is, should people share their opinions on such matters during acceptance speeches?

I personally don't have an issue with people sharing their political opinions on stage. It certainly opens them up to criticism, but that's how free speech works. It's controversial in that people have differing opinions, but that's how free speech is supposed to work.

Did she thank Moloch for her award?

Moloch-2.jpg

"Controversial" means that it gives rise to public disagreement. Factually true that it was controversial. I think it was a good speech.

When I heard her talk I said to myself wow she sounds like she doesn't even have a grade 9 education.

But then I did some research and found out that she does in fact have a grade 9 education, but not a grade 10 education.

So she's like the female Ricky of TPB.

i didnt read into it that far, I just found it to be yet another annoyingly preachy soapbox stand from a member of the most disconnected group of people that we get to see regularly. whatever. she is allowed to emote and play the feminist thing heavy.

I'm not sure there is a subject more controversial than abortion.

im fine with it. the more abortions the better at this point.

Man I love movies and I have no idea who this is. Basically the only reason I even knew this event took place was because of Ricky Gervais. I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring in more anti pc comedians like this to be hosts cause he singlehandedly gave this award show way more eyes than it would have gotten. Funny that after Ricky says don’t do this, they all go ahead and do it anyways....frankly I’m surprised we didn’t get another “fuck Trump” from De Niro

So I follow a lot of people on Twitter, many on the far left, and many on the far right, and a lot of people deemed to be "controversial?"

A lot of conservative and right wing leaning folk I do follow have expressed disgust and/or have condemned the speech made by Michelle Williams at the Golden Globes.

Here's the full speech in the first link, and several different links offering their own perspective.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/michelle-williams-golden-globes-speech-video-abortion-choice.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/05/entertainment/michelle-williams-golden-globes-2020-speech/index.html

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...-williams-golden-globe-abortion-rights-speech

Many have interpreted Michelle Williams's speech as championing women's reproductive rights and the right to "choose."

on the flip side many others have interpreted her speech as, "I won this award because I had an abortion, because I had a right to choose to murder my child."

for example: "Michelle Williams got up on stage while pregnant and bragged about killing her child, then the audience full of rich, drug addled narcissists applauded while crying tears of joy. Hollywood is a cesspool. Gervais was way understating the case."

"Yesterday, Michelle Williams accredited ABORTION for her Golden Globe, and suggested that all women should be in favor of it. As a woman, I am sick of this belief that all women should be okay with murdering their children for personal gain. "

"Michelle Williams wants you believe that you have to kill your children in order to be successful. Well, I have 8 children and have met all of my educational and career goals. To say that we must choose is an insult to the strength of women and motherhood."

some have even gone as far as to say that this is proof that the Hollywood Elite are satan worshippers and regularly sacrifice children. @TheComebackKid feel free to comment on this btw.

anyway, what are your thoughts?
how did you construe it?

all thoughts welcome.

Obligatory WHO??

I'm not sure why the opinion of a Hollywood celebrity is supposed to be more important that the opinion of John down the street. And who still watches those award shows?

I knew Michelle and the rest of the Dawson's kids back when they worked here. I'm just impressed at how serious of an actress she's become. Josh is stuck on TV, Katie Holmes is mostly known for her relationships, Van der Beek doesn't do much, but Michelle has kept at it.

“I know my choices may look different than yours, but thank God or whomever we pray to that we live in a country founded on the principle that I am free to live by my faith and you are free to live by yours,” Williams said.

Well written imo.

That's really most of what this comes down to. If you are pro-choice, you don't view the action as "murdering" babies, which seems to be the main criticism of her speech based on the quotes you supplied.

I guess the secondary question is, should people share their opinions on such matters during acceptance speeches?

I personally don't have an issue with people sharing their political opinions on stage. It certainly opens them up to criticism, but that's how free speech works. It's controversial in that people have differing opinions, but that's how free speech is supposed to work.

how can you not view it as murdering babies.

the left NOW says kill it up to 1 minute before birth. And it should be CELEBRATED.

a gift for Moloch

Reading the speech makes her come off as genuine (I've never watched the Golden Globes), so it's good in that context because it makes her come off as a person and not just a Hollywood star. In terms of the debate over abortion, there's nothing new to be found in what she said. It's a little surprising that anybody would have a strong reaction to her speech given that her position is a pretty common and traditional one.

tbh with you, I watched the speech AFTER reading the fierce responses to it from some conservative folk I follow.

I really expected Michelle to have said a lot worse.

Back