Did The Mcgregor Fight Ruin Cowboy's Legacy?

Cowboy gave us many great fights, so we should be happy about that. Not everybody can be a champion.

He’s never been more than a second or third tier fighter. A guy that always choked in the biggest fights. But, when he came out and said he was going to give the fans what they wanted in the Conor fight (promising to keep it standing). I just knew the fight was a farce. I won’t say he took a dive, but he clearly only showed up for the pay cheque and to make Conor look good.

I didn’t ever need to see him fight again after that fight.
But you’re a newb, an angry bitter newb, so why should we give a shit about your opinion?

His schtick is to be a "Cowboy". That's pretty jokish from the get go to the rest of the world besides some backwards hillbillies.

Can we just appreciate fighters like Cowboy?

FFS, not everyone is going to be champion but Cowboy was willing to fight anyone, fought often, was always exciting, and rarely (if ever) made any excuses.

If you're a fight fan, just understand how lame it would be without guys like this, if everyone was so worried about losing and concerned with protecting their legacy.
Thank you for being the voice of reason.

I would say his second RDA fight should have, Cowboy is arguably the biggest quitter in the UFC

Well,the big knock against him and his career is that in fighting so often on short notice,it was kind of an unfocused career...and whenever he got the big matchup/title shot,he'd choke.

In this fight you saw him choking before the fight even happened. He was trying to be Conor's friend. He never once mentioned winning the fight,and actually got mad at fans for being disrespectful to Conor.

He basically was saying "dont put any expectation on me,just count me the fuck out of this one"

It's a mind numblingly painful thing to have to watch. I can understand why people were upset at him.
Trying to believe in a guy who dont believe in himself.

Can we just appreciate fighters like Cowboy?

FFS, not everyone is going to be champion but Cowboy was willing to fight anyone, fought often, was always exciting, and rarely (if ever) made any excuses.

If you're a fight fan, just understand how lame it would be without guys like this, if everyone was so worried about losing and concerned with protecting their legacy.
I think that’s mostly a myth that there are fighters who actively duck others in their division, the only reason Cowboy fought so often was for money, he is a great example for fighters on how NOT to handle your career in terms of health and business management

Well,the big knock against him and his career is that in fighting so often on short notice,it was kind of an unfocused career...and whenever he got the big matchup/title shot,he'd choke.

In this fight you saw him choking before the fight even happened. He was trying to be Conor's friend. He never once mentioned winning the fight,and actually got mad at fans for being disrespectful to Conor.

He basically was saying "dont put any expectation on me,just count me the fuck out of this one"

It's a mind numblingly painful thing to have to watch. I can understand why people were upset at him.
He does actually personify that simple minded mentality of someone from a small town, never being actively disrespectful and playing down large expectations put on him

he was already well over the hill by this point but yea it was an embarrassing one

Only 9 months prior he'd dominated #4 Iaquinta and taken #1 Ferguson on short notice for #1 contender. He won round 1 on one judges scorecard before an unfortunate freak ending in round 2 that was caused by Ferguson illegally punching Cowboy after the bell and breaking his nose. That should've been a DQ.
Cowboy’s nose was definitely not broken from that late shot by Tony

No, it was already well established that he chokes on the big, important fights.

he was already well over the hill by this point but yea it was an embarrassing one
I was more annoyed at his demeanor in the leadup. It told you what to expect in the fight,so way ahead of time i knew he would fumble this badly.

Yeah, it made me sick. Someone who calls himself “Cowboy” has to be taken out on a stretcher to justify that name. Cerrone was so submissive to Conor.

Reactions: HHJ
Yeah, it made me sick. Someone who calls himself “Cowboy” has to be taken out on a stretcher to justify that name. Cerrone was so submissive to Conor.
It drove me fuckin nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only people who have watched the sport for 5 minutes don't appreciate Cerrone. His fights, rivalries and strength of schedule back in the day are legendary.

He was completely shot before the Conor fight (the reason Conor wanted him in the first place) and the outcome of that fight is meaningless.

He has also showed up with no time off on multiple fights. He saved Dana and the UFC on numerous occasions.
Can you name those multiple times he showed up with no time off? He would always tweet that he’ll step in as a replacement knowing that it would not be possible and would never happen, people just assume it did happen

Back