Did pride have more buzz then the UFC?

I never got the Pride Buzz, haha. UFC has always and still gets me buzzed, :icon_lol:.

Maybe because at PRIDE fighters came to fight and put a show. Now almost everyone wants to play safe and not lose

Yeah, I was really looking forward to fighters like Dos Caras Jr, Giant Ochiai, LA Giant, Sentoryu, Tamakairiki, Hiromitsu Kanehara, Lloyd Van Dams, Yoshihiro Takayama, Hans Nijman, et al. on PRIDE cards back in the day. :rolleyes:

James Toney

Maybe because at PRIDE fighters came to fight and put a show. Now almost everyone wants to play safe and not lose

They didn't have a choice with a 10 minute first round, and a ref just looking for a reason to penalize someone, for wasting time.
Game plans revolve around the rules, as well as the fighters. Pride was dam near a fight to the death. There was no early stoppages.

Personally, I think comparing Pride to the UFC is like comparing the NFL to Australian Rules Football. Yes, they are both MMA organizations; however, the rules are different for both and both should be looked at in their own way, not compared.

I try to explain it all the time to younger guys, im 30. Watching pride was like the dirtiest thing you could watch on tv and only real hardcore fans followed pride, im not taking a shot at ufc fans these days, it was just a completly different era. To see the look on someones face when you showed them a highlight of a soccer kick was priceless!!! WAR PRIDE FOREVER!

You know Pride was more epic, I know Pride was more epic, Christ, my 98 year old granny knows Pride was more epic than any other org. It's just a real shame it was bent.

You know Pride was more epic, I know Pride was more epic, Christ, my 98 year old granny knows Pride was more epic than any other org. It's just a real shame it was bent.

Everytime I watched a Pride event I always felt like I was watching the WWE. The Grand entrances were always to damn long. Me didn't like. I'd buy the DVD's and just fast forward to the fights, :icon_lol:.

Everytime I watched a Pride event I always felt like I was watching the WWE. The Grand entrances were always to damn long. Me didn't like. I'd buy the DVD's and just fast forward to the fights, :icon_lol:.

The grand entrances were all part of the show. It was great seeing the little known guys entrances but when it was a fighter who was at the top end of the scale it was a tantalising prelude to what was to come. The highlights for each fighter before each bout was fantastically put together with unashamed violence.

Pride fans aren't MMA fans, they're wrestling fans.

pride wasnt just mma
pride was magic
ufc is a CLEARLY for profit organization that takes care of itself before the fans
it's uncomparable
also, pride looked like it was just a great show, even if one was not a crazy fight fan
never got to see it live, so i dunno. do any of you guys know?

less events......more stacked cards.........more fights per card........better match-making (good matches + can crushing).

UFC match-making is getting worse all the time. UFC tries to create champions rather than simply promote who made it to the championship and won. They try to manipulate story-lines like the WWE more than PRIDE ever did and PRIDE had real links to pro-wrestling.

Pride fed a lot of bums to champions just for the "look how good our champion is, he beats guys much bigger than him".

I was pumped up for a new Pride event for months. We'd all gather up to watch it, get drinks, food, wrestle on the floor, it was a religion. Wand, Cro Cop, Fedor, Nog, these guys were someone we all looked up to, they were bigger than life, almost mythical and unreal characters.

Now I remain the only MMA fan and UFC events hardly excite me unless it's some of the legends fighting. These new kids just don't excite me.

Stop watching than, old man

pride wasnt just mma
pride was magic
ufc is a CLEARLY for profit organization that takes care of itself before the fans
Yeah, and PRIDE wasn't for profit? Its mafia ties that eventually killed it, sure do say otherwise.

I know I'm coming off of a PRIDE hater. I'm not. I enjoy all MMA. But PRIDE was what it was, an extension of pro wrestling (as MMA and Pro Wrestling were indistinguisable to the Japanese fans.) It was more of a spectacle than a sport.

I'll take sport over spectacle any day.

(in b4 the repeat of James Toney or Brock Lesnar)

Back in early 2000s to mid 2000 I remember being very excited about Pride and watching all the youtube videos available. Even average fighters in Pride who never real real contenders I knew.

I was looking at the next few UFC fights and quite a few names I dont recognize.

Though now I have less time to watch MMA then before I feel there was a lot of buzz surrounding pride events.

Was the internet buzz greater with pride that even regular fighters like Nakamura and Ze Sperry were known?
Are you aware that the idea for YouTube was developed during the early months of 2005?

Pride must have done something right for people to still be talking about their shows this long since they closed the doors.

Pride must have done something right for people to still be talking about their shows this long since they closed the doors.

They put on some great events and had great fights.

But it wasn't the be-all, end-all of MMA like the hangers on try to make it out be.

People still talk about WCW too you know . . . :icon_chee

They put on some great events and had great fights.

But it wasn't the be-all, end-all of MMA like the hangers on try to make it out be.

People still talk about WCW too you know . . . :icon_chee

Actually made me laugh out loud

Back