Did i get ripped off or what?

PaiMei**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So a long time ago i saw an add at dick's sporting goods for a 300 pound olympic weight set for really cheap. Granted, it was from Dick's not the highest quality stuff, but i thought that was a good deal and considering i'm not a monster who will be putting like 600 + on the bar, i thought it was good deal. I also purchased an additional 180 pounds of weight.

So one day a couple a of months ago I bent the bar, by dropping it with weights (which weren't very heavy really) on my bench. (fav idiot of the gym worthy how i did it.)

I've been looking all over for just a bar, couldn't find one anywhere that didn't sell it with the 300 pounds or whatever included. So finally i find this place called fitness showroom and they sell the bars seperate. It was 114 fucking dollars! The guys claimed the price of steel has gone very high, which i know is true, but this still seemed steep. It is a really nice bar however. Real good, very sturdy, puts the old one to shame.

I can find them for cheaper online, but with the shipping they go over, probably would have been wise to make this before i bought the thing, but could i have gotten a much better deal?

Well the cheapest olympic bars you'll find are going to be around 50$ so if you did get ripped off it couldn't be for that much. The most expensive are like 1000+

damn, 1000 bucks? Is it made out of gold and diamonds or something?

That is still very cheap for a bar. A really good quality bar will cost 3-600. You can get decent bars in the 200 range. The cheap bars you get in 300lbs sets for 199 bucks are crap, and will bend or break of you use them hard. Better to get a good bar, and cheap plates. Also the price of steel and iron plates has gone way up if its made in China, because they have shut down plants to reduce pollution for the Olympics.

No, you didn't get ripped off. You paid for the plates, not the bar, which was a complete and total piece of crap to begin with.

If you want a really good bar for the money, go here and buy the 1500 lb. bar for $155 delivered. It should last the rest of your life.

If you want to spend just a bit more, go here and buy a Texas Power Bar for $185 + shipping.

i believe, and this was a while ago, but the 300 pound set i bought was only 119 bucks. Seemed just the like the ones my gym used to have, but i almost shit myself when it bent after i dropped it. What a piece of junk. Got lots of workouts in with it though.

So a long time ago i saw an add at dick's sporting goods for a 300 pound olympic weight set for really cheap. Granted, it was from Dick's not the highest quality stuff, but i thought that was a good deal and considering i'm not a monster who will be putting like 600 + on the bar, i thought it was good deal. I also purchased an additional 180 pounds of weight.

So one day a couple a of months ago I bent the bar, by dropping it with weights (which weren't very heavy really) on my bench. (fav idiot of the gym worthy how i did it.)

I've been looking all over for just a bar, couldn't find one anywhere that didn't sell it with the 300 pounds or whatever included. So finally i find this place called fitness showroom and they sell the bars seperate. It was 114 fucking dollars! The guys claimed the price of steel has gone very high, which i know is true, but this still seemed steep. It is a really nice bar however. Real good, very sturdy, puts the old one to shame.

I can find them for cheaper online, but with the shipping they go over, probably would have been wise to make this before i bought the thing, but could i have gotten a much better deal?

i recycly steal on the side for extra income, steal is very expensive nowaday. i get 240 for 2000 pounds which is one load in my f150. i dont think you got ripped off, maybe payed a little too much.

That's a good price for a personal-quality bar, likely the type you'll see at your average commercial gym. Higher-test bars run a lot higher, it's all based on tempers of steel and what type of alloy used.

Barbells are extremely expensive. I suggest checking out a Used Sports Store or craigslist.

i believe, and this was a while ago, but the 300 pound set i bought was only 119 bucks. Seemed just the like the ones my gym used to have, but i almost shit myself when it bent after i dropped it. What a piece of junk. Got lots of workouts in with it though.

hot damn. nowaday's at Dick's they're like $150

Jesup bars are the best for the money. $119 isn't bad if it is a good bar, but for 30 bucks more you can have the Jesup which will last a lifetime.

Watcha guys think about the york lineup of barbells? They're pretty expensive but everyone I've spoke to always say its worth it.

can you drop a jesup bar form overhead with ****l weights and be okay or do you need bumpers?

can you drop a jesup bar form overhead with ****l weights and be okay or do you need bumpers?

If you have a good platform, you might get away with it once in awhile. But in the long term you will destroy any bar by dropping it from overhead if you don't have bumpers.

Back