Did Alvarez's chin skew the reality of McGregors striking?

Yes, Conor has slightly more powerful punches than Aoki.

qKsMKbE.gif

bueYCPO.gif

When you watch the fight and look at the shots Alvarez got dropped by, Mcgregor lands clean and Eddie just drops to the floor. The thing is, we all have seen Eddie get dropped in every fight. I remember watching his fight against Shinya Aoki (skip to 3:24 - 3:55) and the announcers talk about how shaky his chin is in every fight. He even gets tagged twice by Aoki and has jelly legs for literally a microsecond...but recovers fast enough that it looks like nothing.

So my question is, we all know Conor hits hard and has great accuracy...but did Alvarez's tendency to get dropped due to his weak chin overrate Conor's power?

How can you look at McGregor's record and ask this? As if this was Conor's first fight?

Diaz has not been dropped much at all.

Last two times before McGregor were once by Thomson and once by Henderson.

Gomi, Cerrone, RMac, RDA. All of those guys can hit. None dropped him.

Pretty sure Conor is responsible for more than half of all of the downs Nate has suffered in his career.
I think Nate said he intentionally went down to draw Conor into his guard which he wanted none of.

I actually think he has excellent power (along with accuracy which I think actually does account for quite a bit of it) because even though it does display itself as one-punch KO power for the most part, he hurts people consistently with regular punches (not haymakers) that don't put him out of position or waste that much of his energy. Other guys connect harder and drop people immediately but they do so with an entirely different punching style. Since I see people bringing up the dropping Aldo... When Conor does this, it is pretty much because the other guy ran right into the power of his punch, thus accentuating its effect. And, again, the accuracy is key there as well.

Legitimate welterweight power with the footwork and accuracy to match. Conor has prodigious stand up, but will lose to Khabib if they fight.

If you can drop Diaz multiple times (with punches), you have legit power in your hands

Conor dropped Nate 3 times
Dropped Alvarez like 5 times
His finish rate is in the 90% range. I think his power is proven.

He's been fighting midgets. He didn't finish Nate.

Back