Diaz's guard against GSP

Pychu666

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I wonder how aggressive Diaz will get from the bottom when he'll be taken down by GSP.
I remember Condit pulling rubber guard on GSP and it was fairly effective - it immobilized the G'n'P for a while. I don't get why he didn't use it later.
Diaz's guard is better than Condit's, so maybe he will be trying to replay his win over Gomi with a Gogoplata? That would be cool.

Another thing i remember from GSP vs Condit - Joe Rogan said that GSP uses some kind of technique to pass the guard. However it's flaw is that he opens himself for an attack from the bottom while trying to pass.
Do you think GSP will still use this, knowing Diaz is more dangerous off his back?
This time he has his game plan guru by his side.

I see Diaz being helpless on his back. GSP's wrestling is on another level and he'll be stuck. He won't be throwing non-stop punches from his back like Condit.

I think it'll look identical to the Benson/Diaz fight. People like to see Nick is much better than Nate but I'd be willing to say that Nate has better fight IQ. They just aren't evolved enough to fight guys like GSP.

I don't see it playing a factor, but he is slick off his back.

GSP won't use the can opener on Nick.
Condit didn't punish him for it.

He tried spinning for armbars which is the correct counter for the can opener. GSP easily nullified every attempt though. His top control is too good.

Maybe he'll put up his middle finger before or during the fight to try and get his opponent to do something stupid.

Nick diaz is going to be aggressive off his back mo matter who he's fighting

Gsp has such a good ground game i think he will neutralize nicks guard,as gsp goes to step over he pushed there thigh down and triangles there right leg with his own leg stopping alot of submissions,nick will need to be aggressive on the ground

I see Diaz being helpless on his back. GSP's wrestling is on another level and he'll be stuck. He won't be throwing non-stop punches from his back like Condit.

I think it'll look identical to the Benson/Diaz fight. People like to see Nick is much better than Nate but I'd be willing to say that Nate has better fight IQ. They just aren't evolved enough to fight guys like GSP.

who is evolved enough to fight gsp? all have failed really, both serra and hughes got beaten in rematches

He tried spinning for armbars which is the correct counter for the can opener. GSP easily nullified every attempt though. His top control is too good.

Condits Jits is also a few notches below Nicks.

This is the fight that GSP has the best chance of finishing because Diaz isn't nearly as strong as any of his last 7-8 opponents.

To answer the question... Diaz won't have him in a traditional guard that much as GSP will have free range to pass/posture/do what ever he wants.

I can see GSP hovering over Nick in a "standingish" position raining blows at will on him. Much more so then in recent past.

If there was ever a bad matchup for Diaz... This is the absolute worst. Speed-Head movement-Jab-Wrestling-GNP-Cardio and MOST of all Strength... Spells doom for Nick.

I think Diaz has a better guard than anyone GSP has faced.

It's not a matter of aggression, Diaz is simply going to be dangerous off his back due to his high-level technical jiujitsu.

That's not to say it's an easy sub though, because GSP's top game is phenomenal.

Can't wait to see this.

It's not a matter of aggression, Diaz is simply going to be dangerous off his back due to his high-level technical jiujitsu.

That's not to say it's an easy sub though, because GSP's top game is phenomenal.

Can't wait to see this.

I don't think Diaz has a better guard than Serra, I'd say they are roughly equal. GSP will make passing Diaz guard and raining GnP on him look easy. All day and all night.

Diaz will be lucky to get farther into the fight than Penn did in Diaz-Penn II.

I don't think Diaz has a better guard than Serra, I'd say they are roughly equal. GSP will make passing Diaz guard and raining GnP on him look easy. All day and all night.

Diaz will be lucky to get farther into the fight than Penn did in Diaz-Penn II.

Cause Penn's cardio is right up there with Diaz....

Anything can happen, but considering the guys that GSP rolls with (the likes of Estima and Roger, for a long time now)...I just don't see it being a big factor.

Can't wait to see this.

Nick Diaz doesn't submit anyone from his back... Let alone the WW's greatest wrestler. Gogo on Gomi was impressive, but he was so gassed it looked like he was letting him do it as though it was in practice.

Condits guard is far better than Nick's because he's stronger.

Can't wait to see this.

I agree with this, 100%.

Back