Diaz's guard against GSP

Diaz could be in trouble on his back. His jujitsu technical prowess will be nullified by GSPs stregnth and explosiveness.

GSP has great jujitsu abilities, it just isnt flashy like nicks. In addition GSP upper body stregnth may be too much for nick. He may struggle with wrist control and get his face smashed. I don't think nick is nearly as strong as condit, condit did a good job of damage control while dishing out the best he could. Nicks face could end end looking bad if GSP keeps him in half guard.

GSP is too strong, quick, and experienced for nick to submit.

Nick Diaz doesn't submit anyone from his back...

5.gif

3629476_o.gif

dream14diazsakurai.gif

Condits guard is far better than Nick's because he's stronger.

Clearly you have a firm understanding of how jiujitsu works.

That's why Brock Lesnar had the best guard in all of MMA.

Nick isnt Nate, GSP isnt Bendo. Stop with that nonsense, these are 4 different fighters.

Nick has a very slick ground game, especially from the bottom. He will be attempting sweeps and subs all the time. Dont know if he will get them, though

I'm a big fan of both fighters, but I believe that GSP will smother Diaz on the ground. Diaz has always had huge problems fighting wrestlers and this will be no different.

GSP will bust his face up pretty bad, and Diaz bleeds easily.
Diaz does not stuff takedowns well, although he hits the switch from time to time.

GSP ALWAYS passes over the left knee by pushing with his right hand. Diaz has known this for years, but I'm not sure how ambidextrous his guard is. Most BJJ competitors like to pass over the right knee, so it's a bit of a mystery whether Diaz is as comfortable on his right side or if GSP will even let him sit on a hip instead of flattening him out in the guard.

It's going to be a fun fight to watch, but I expect GSP to get takedowns in every round, and out striking Diaz in significant strikes.

I see Diaz being helpless on his back. GSP's wrestling is on another level and he'll be stuck. He won't be throwing non-stop punches from his back like Condit.

I think it'll look identical to the Benson/Diaz fight. People like to see Nick is much better than Nate but I'd be willing to say that Nate has better fight IQ. They just aren't evolved enough to fight guys like GSP.

Pretty much this. GSP is even better than Bendo.

5.gif

3629476_o.gif

dream14diazsakurai.gif

That guy is a joke. Clearly trolling

And that armbar against Cyborg is a beautiful thing. Been using this move ever since

5.gif

3629476_o.gif

dream14diazsakurai.gif

When i say anyone... It clearly means fighters that aren't gassed-good-or had the shit kicked out of them before hand.

Those subs show the end not the journey.

Cardio won't be a factor. He won't tire out GSP cause he'll be on the bottom getting fed a steady diet of knees to the ribs. I just hope he lives.

Also because GSP is one of the only with a cardio that can match Diaz .

Diaz's guard is better than Condit's, .

You say this like it's a fact. But Nick has not faced a strong wrestler in years.

Condit has faced some pretty strong wrestlers.. And has shown great improvment in takedown defense and maybe more importantly his style (which is different from Nicks) is one based on striking from the bottom to gain space for sweeps and escapes.

Nick is *different* in the guard... Nick has never shown really agressive and damaging striking from the guard.

I think Nick's greatness on the ground is really only potential... What has Nick really delivered on the ground lately? He does not have the ability to take the fight to the ground unless his opponent falls to the matt from exhaustion....

In my opinion the "great groundwork" Nick has displayed over the last few years is much more attributable to his superior conditioning.. He works over exhausted opponents.
GSP will not be exhausted in late rounds... Much like Condit eh?

I'm still looking for excitement from Nick in the guard... I just don't think it's a given that he will be able to stop the Champ from doing what he wants.

When i say anyone... It clearly means fighters that aren't gassed-good-or had the shit kicked out of them before hand.

Those subs show the end not the journey.

That's part of what makes this matchup so exciting, Nick's jiujitsu and cardio are great enough that even if GSP has a really good fight and is smothering Nick for 4 rounds, there is the real possibility that Diaz could catch him right up to the end of the 5th ala Anderson/Chael 1.

You say this like it's a fact. But Nick has not faced a strong wrestler in years.

Condit has faced some pretty strong wrestlers.. And has shown great improvment in takedown defense and maybe more importantly his style (which is different from Nicks) is one based on striking from the bottom to gain space for sweeps and escapes.

Nick is *different* in the guard... Nick has never shown really agressive and damaging striking from the guard.

I think Nick's greatness on the ground is really only potential... What has Nick really delivered on the ground lately? He does not have the ability to take the fight to the ground unless his opponent falls to the matt from exhaustion....

In my opinion the "great groundwork" Nick has displayed over the last few years is much more attributable to his superior conditioning.. He works over exhausted opponents.
GSP will not be exhausted in late rounds... Much like Condit eh?

I'm still looking for excitement from Nick in the guard... I just don't think it's a given that he will be able to stop the Champ from doing what he wants.

This. GSP will not be an exhausted opponent to get worked at any point in the fight.

I stopped at Diaz's guard is way better than Condit's. Condit is known for being incredibly aggressive off his back. Diaz, not quite so much.

I stopped at Diaz's guard is way better than Condit's. Condit is known for being incredibly aggressive off his back. Diaz, not quite so much.

very true even though i believe diaz has the better BJJ i think condit is more agressive in applying his BJJ to MMA.

I wonder how aggressive Diaz will get from the bottom when he'll be taken down by GSP.
I remember Condit pulling rubber guard on GSP and it was fairly effective - it immobilized the G'n'P for a while. I don't get why he didn't use it later.
Diaz's guard is better than Condit's, so maybe he will be trying to replay his win over Gomi with a Gogoplata? That would be cool.

Another thing i remember from GSP vs Condit - Joe Rogan said that GSP uses some kind of technique to pass the guard. However it's flaw is that he opens himself for an attack from the bottom while trying to pass.
Do you think GSP will still use this, knowing Diaz is more dangerous off his back?
This time he has his game plan guru by his side.

For how many seconds in a 25 minute fight? Like 10?

Nick Diaz doesn't know an MMA guard that Georges can't pass. GSP has passed guard in mixed martial arts prizefights more than anyone.

Someone better remember to bring the mop.

Diaz hasn't learned a BJJ technique that is going to prevent him from eating elbows all night.

Another thing i remember from GSP vs Condit - Joe Rogan said that GSP uses some kind of technique to pass the guard. However it's flaw is that he opens himself for an attack from the bottom while trying to pass.

I remember this from UFC 154 too. This is one way I think Nick can beat Georges, maybe the only way he can submit him unless he can get Georges' head/neck low enough in his guard for a guillotine.

Either way I don't see how Nick is on top at all unless he can do a switch for some reason or he rocks GSP standing so that GSP falls like he did in rd. 3 against Condit.

St. Pierre did an excellent job of passing BJ Penn's guard four years ago. Diaz is probably a bit bigger, but Penn had one of the most dangerous guards in the game. I think GSP will be able to do just fine in Diaz's guard, especially if/because he's been improving his game since the Penn fight.

Condit was very active off his back and probably had the most success of any of GSPs past opponents from that position...and he still lost the fight handily. If you spend a majority of a fight with GSP on your back, you will lose. His positioning and control is incredible and nowadays he takes zero chances from top position.

Back