• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Development of the War Dogs:

Now these are great videos.

I like the heavy focus on footwork and positioning from Marcos. The fact he's not even trying with his hands but still manages to be more effective than his opponent speaks volume.

The second vid is just as good. I like how you're able to make mittwork not a waste of time, which it is 99% of the time. I can actually watch the exercise and go "There's a point in what they're doing."

Now these are great videos.

I like the heavy focus on footwork and positioning from Marcos. The fact he's not even trying with his hands but still manages to be more effective than his opponent speaks volume.

The second vid is just as good. I like how you're able to make mittwork not a waste of time, which it is 99% of the time. I can actually watch the exercise and go "There's a point in what they're doing."

Thanks. Yeah over the last few years my program has shifted to where now my fighters look and move more like this, although Marcos wasn't throwing heavy. The big emphasis is on always seeking a better position.

Fun fact. Marcos' Brother Angel would have fought Daijon if we would have entered the NV Golden Gloves. Angel got VERY good over the last few months to where he mostly boxes Pros now. I think he would have won.

The mitt-work I have to credit a trainer named Alvaro Morales. Two fighters I had for years came from him when he left Toccos. But I saw him years later and his mitt-work was, unusual. I had never seen anything like it. And I noticed something peculiar:

He had a system similar to mine, but he did way more mitts. However they did do a lot of partner drills as well. But his students looked the same in every apparatus between drills, mitts, and sparring. There was no occurrence where they did things on the mitts they couldnt do in drills, or in sparring. So we talked, I got some videos, and he shared his methodology. I'm slowly crafting my own version. Here he is with MarcAnthony:

The only disconnect of him doing this with one of my students is we teach different punch mechanics.

Here are his students doing drills:

We try to keep the gym environment fun lol:

Speaking of different punch mechanics, can we get a tutorial on the jab? Cause the way your fighters throw their jabs is very different from most people.

I think that's managable.

This is Ian's older Brother Diego, sparring the same guy as Marcos and the same round format:

Keep in mind he's 16, and has zero fights.

How long has he been training?

Damn, I miss Mustard and Bandito.

How long has he been training?

Damn, I miss Mustard and Bandito.

A few years. Lol, you miss the "talent boys." I miss them sometimes. What I mostly remember is every way they made sh*t more difficult than it needed to be. Joseph told someone I was the worst coach he ever had, which is interesting considering he was 10 losses in a row (4-10) when I got him and 2 years later he was ranked in the Country. But according to him he did all that by himself because I didnt hold his balls enough while he was training.

To listen to your brain.

Balance and coordination, things that nowadays many Coaches feel are happy accidents of cookie-cutter exercises.

We call the Russian Walk diagonal steps down here.

I was very against switch stepping, and after trying to drill them out of a student to no success, and watching her use them efficiently during fights I started to study them. Found out that as long as hip function is preserved while doing it they give you a lot of freedom with your movement and angles.

We call the Russian Walk diagonal steps down here.

I was very against switch stepping, and after trying to drill them out of a student to no success, and watching her use them efficiently during fights I started to study them. Found out that as long as hip function is preserved while doing it they give you a lot of freedom with your movement and angles.

I only like switch-steps if they're used to get BACK into position after an angle or distance change, or used as an angle or distance change.

I still hate the novice obsession with "working on my Southpaw!" It still makes me cringe when a guy who doesnt know how to fight says that

yea, the "I'm ambidextrous" kids (not that they doesn't exist... Extremely rare, tho)

This is Miguel Veliz. He's probably the highest level fighter I've ever worked with next to Alex Hagen. Right this second he's #2 on this side of the planet. He came for prep for one tournament, then came in early 2020 again for the last qualifier before the games, which of course didnt happen. But this was one of his most recent high profile matches against Brazil's top guy:

He sparred my Southpaw MarcAnthony a lot for this one.

And here is an older video of him doing drills with Alex Martinssen:

I'd pay good money for a systematic presentation of the partner drills you use.

I'd pay good money for a systematic presentation of the partner drills you use.

I'm working up to it. I'm building a discord now that will give people inside access to all the why, how, and when. Up until then its just here in Vegas.

Lucas said that the Brazilian commentators felt that Miguel won that fight, but I did think Texeira kept him at his distance too long.

Oslo from Norway in the semi-final of the Norwegian Championship:

You can always recognize him by the hair.

Big, small, old, young, they all do the same conditioning. This is after sparring, youngest one there is my 7 year-old (he doesnt spar yet):

Back