Developing a 40 hour law enforcement course - help

there are tried and tested programs out there that won't leave you open to vicarious liability.

Very interesting, do you have some links or resources?

TIA!

Very interesting, do you have some links or resources?

TIA!

Not really online. Force Science Institute is a great on line resource though.

Any program that is sanctioned by a state governing board such as POST (police officer standards and training) will hold up. You don't have to do that program and can just take parts of it you like. All the foot work and legal crap is already done for you.

Some things to consider is a large portion of the police force currently being hired have little to no background that can be applied to combatives. Many have never been in a fight before in their lives.

Countering takedown attempts, body lock clinches, and gun grabs are all very applicable. Also countering haymaker type punches. At least those are the things, I've had to deal with as a cop.

Also, if anyone is attempting a triangle, RNC or arm triangle on a cop they should be getting met with lethal force. Courts have generally recognized that attempts to put cops unconcious can be met with lethal force.

Last edited:
Some things to consider is a large portion of the police force currently being hired have little to no background that can be applied to combatives. Many have never been in a fight before in their lives.

Countering takedown attempts, body lock clinches, and gun grabs are all very applicable. Also countering haymaker type punches. At least those are the things, I've had to deal with as a cop.

Also, if anyone is attempting a triangle, RNC or arm triangle on a cop they should be getting met with lethal force. Courts have generally recognized that attempts to put cops unconcious can be met with lethal force.

Yea, that was hammered in over and over at DTI School. Somebody tries to choke me, he gets a 40 caliber hole.

what about a berimbolo? can the cops shoot you if you try to bolo them?

:p

Must be so nice to be above the law. - E

No the law says if you think someone trying to choke you unconscious is really trying to make you utterly defenseless or dead then you can respond with deadly force just like any cop could.

Submitted my curriculum yesterday. I will go before the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council on Nov 13th and represent it. I chose to focus the majority of the course on defending thing most of use would consider common knowledge. Like Protectandserve said earlier,

a large portion of the police force currently being hired have little to no background that can be applied to combatives

From my experience very few leo have what we would consider common knowledge. I feel that often excessive forces is used out because of an over all lack of understanding of grappling. This is a c/p from the general course description.

The popularity of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and MMA style competitions have increased the likelihood that Officers come in contact with combatants who try to emulate techniques seen in these competitions. Upon completion of this course the learner will be able defend against grappling techniques commonly used in MMA. Learner will be able to create separations when possible, achieve clinch dominance if needed, and defend against common techniques and submissions in MMA. It is not the scope or intent of this course to provide instruction on performing submission techniques. The intent and purpose of this course is to provide defensive training.

I don't feel that 40 hours is enough time for someone that has no combative knowledge to learn to safely do anything more than basic control, defense, and escape techniques.

Do you guy think I took the right approach?

Looks good to me. Sadly 40hrs is about 32 hrs more than mosr basic academies spend on ground combatives.

No the law says if you think someone trying to choke you unconscious is really trying to make you utterly defenseless or dead then you can respond with deadly force just like any cop could.

so you think you can try to stop someone from killing you and NOT be above the law?

as if

Do you guy think I took the right approach?

I'm one of the only people in my area that goes to mma sparring doing karate type kicking. One guy I sparred, who was known for wrestling and boxing, never saw it before, but I knew what he did, so I kicked the tar out of him.

Later that week, I drilled him on the easiest evasions for each kick. A couple months later, I saw him and another training partner of mine at a big open spar.

My training partner was better than me: stronger, better at judo, better at kicking. The wrestler I showed defended all his moves and tooled him easily, using basic defenses I showed him.

So, I think yes, it is right, provided you have enough teachers that can feed the technically correct techniques.

The problem with defensive systems is that if everyone only knows the defensive system, no one can feed an effective enough attack to practice it.

Do you have enough teachers?

so you think you can try to stop someone from killing you and NOT be above the law?

as if

Show me where defending your life is against the law. Not conjecture, show the actual statute or law, where that law is enforced and an actual referenced example of someone who was prosecuted for using deadly force to protect themselves from deadly force.

I'm one of the only people in my area that goes to mma sparring doing karate type kicking. One guy I sparred, who was known for wrestling and boxing, never saw it before, but I knew what he did, so I kicked the tar out of him.

Later that week, I drilled him on the easiest evasions for each kick. A couple months later, I saw him and another training partner of mine at a big open spar.

My training partner was better than me: stronger, better at judo, better at kicking. The wrestler I showed defended all his moves and tooled him easily, using basic defenses I showed him.

So, I think yes, it is right, provided you have enough teachers that can feed the technically correct techniques.

The problem with defensive systems is that if everyone only knows the defensive system, no one can feed an effective enough attack to practice it.

Do you have enough teachers?

That is one of the reasons I have so strongly perused this. I plan on offering teaching positions to deserving people. One is a BB and former adcc competitor that has been working in a coal mine for the past year. A couple others are high level purples and multiple time NAGA champions that are work on fast food. I want to be able to offer them full time positions doing what they love. In total I have 12 people I would feel are deserving of a paid teaching position. I feel this has potential to be able to offer 12 positions with in 2 years.

Back