Elections DeSantis signs bill requiring Florida Students, Professors to register their political views with FL

This can't be real.

If it is...Americans can't talk about being free

eh, I think pretty much any state has similar stuff, accreditations, academic standards for k-12, among other measures, to ensure things are being taught accordingly. Granted these standards have been attacked and/or lowered in recent decades... but this could very well be a similar thing. If lower education is held accountable, I have no problem with higher education also being so.

"OMG no specific language about it being anonymous, that absolutely means they will have to register!!!"

lmaaooo
Idk what “taught accordingly” means. I’m an ardent opponent of the invasive nature of progressivism in colleges, but a governmental repository of political beliefs isn’t the way to combat it. It’s with better ideas and protection of rights.

Fascism alive an well and growing pretty soon the armed boots will be walking into schools to remove books, fire professors, and Students who protest. DeSantis is a fascist, Trump is a fascist a majority of the Republican party is ether fascist or to scared to stand up to it. And Steven King I hope will write horror book or movie about a future fascist US.

What happens when everyone just registers Independent?

I don't see why it is bad. It doesn't even say a survey of an individual's specific views, where an individual would be taking their own survey. It could be going through a variety of materials from various departments, sitting in on a lecture or two, could be anonymous questionnaires of what the students feel they are learning, etc, and/or a combination of several things like this.. There are several ways to survey the data they want to accumulate.

I think it is a good idea, as it would hold institutions receiving state funding accountable and ensure they are teaching students what they should be taught and being held to a standard that is already set by FL universities. Keep in mind, FL already has the number 1 university system in the country, or top 3 depending on the source. They want to keep it that way.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education/higher-education
But this list doesn’t really say something about the quality of the universities right? More about the level of educations of it’s citizens.

It's another vague pandering bill. Desantis seems to really like these and they work very well for him politically.

1. Claim there's a problem where there generally isn't one
  2. Concoct a fake solution to the fake problem (in this case a vague bill that doesn't actually change much)
  3. When nothing much has changed and state colleges and universities are still decent in a year or two declare victory as the invisible boogey man is defeated.

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary". - H.L. Mencken

However, while there's nothing in the bill making participation mandatory or even determining what will be asked, and it will be used in the short term as a propaganda tool, there is an open ended question of what will be done with this information in the future. It seems pretty clear that the intent is to bludgeon universities and their leadership with it at some point down the road. People acting like that's not obviously the case are kidding themselves.

Next they will twist this to say the bill will create political prison sentences.

"Well it could, it's doesn't say it will not."

"The language of the bill doesn't specifically state that participants won't be shipped off to Guantanamo Bay for high treason, which has sparked fears among some staff, who don't necessarily exist, that this might possibly be the case."

Idk what “taught accordingly” means. I’m an ardent opponent of the invasive nature of progressivism in colleges, but a governmental repository of political beliefs isn’t the way to combat it. It’s with better ideas and protection of rights.

Well, by taught accordingly, I mean that if kids are learning a subject, it is taught objectively and/or to a standard. So for instance, on a college campus, a women's studies course. This could be done through someone sitting in on various classes at a school (a survey classroom environment and/or instruction), or a survey of students and/or parents, a survey of teachers/staff, gathering learning materials/syllabuses to review, what type of events are allowed or not allowed on campus, etc.

All this could be anonymous, even sitting in on a classroom.

So I don't think it indicates a repository of political beliefs (of individuals), but could just be a broad report of if a campus and/or the staff/materials have a certain sway/bias, without indicating an individual teacher's beliefs. And if that isn't corrected, could lose funding. Without mention/record of any specific individual teacher.

I think “survey” is getting confused with “mandatory registration of political views”.

University of Florida - Apply to the University by filling out your age, sex, and race. Get accepted. Possibly register with a group or club to include politics, gender, or race based group. - No problem!

Get questioned as to whether or not you're experiencing diversity of thought, opinion, and culture within the University? - Hell no! That's too personal and Authoritarian!!!!!!!

Better ideas and protection of rights. Sounds like a progressive

This can't be real.

If it is...Americans can't talk about being free
Any American who says they are free is confused. We have more rights than most countries but freedom is not something we have. We are just the last holdouts against the one world technocratic government that is being built around the globe but we can only hold out so long as we are being attacked from within our government and from outside sources.

Register political views as in political party?

Back