• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Demian Maia vs Rory Macdonald being rumoured for UFC 161

I don't understand it either, people are lying to themselves if they think Damien Maia will run through Rory Macdonald.

Lets break it down:

Striking: Rory Macdonald is much better in the striking department.
BJJ: Damien Maia, clearly.
Wrestling: Rory Macdonald is way ahead, Maia has some tricky trips, but nothing that Rory couldn't handle.
Power/Strength: Rory Macdonald is a beast of a fighter, much stronger.
Size: Rory Macdonald is the bigger man, even with Maia coming down from 185.
Experience: Damien Maia, but Rory has fought people like Carlos Condit and Nate Diaz early on in his career, and is coming off a dominating decision of BJ Penn.
Cardio: Even, neither fighter is a cardio machine.

All in all, unless a miracle happens, Rory Macdonald should have little to no problems against Maia. It is nothing less than shocking that so many people are picking Maia to win. It seems like there are A.) A lot of Rory haters or B.) A lot of Maia nuthuggers. C.) A little mix of both A and B or D.) Irrational posters

Well you failed at the most important point, wrestling, how on earth do you know rory has the best wrestling? The only wrestler he faced took him down, bj took him down for cry out load, while maia has taken down chael story fitch all much better wrestlers than rory, not couting the rest of the fighters he fougth....besides maias uncventional tds is what makes him so dangerous, even for wrestlers... so the only delusional poster is you...

Well you failed at the most important point, wrestling, how on earth do you know rory has the best wrestling? The only wrestler he faced took him down, bj took him down for cry out load, while maia has taken down chael story fitch all much better wrestlers than rory, not couting the rest of the fighters he fougth....besides maias uncventional tds is what makes him so dangerous, even for wrestlers... so the only delusional poster is you...

You are a fool. I will message you after the fight and remind you of your stupidity.

Rory isn't ready for someone like Maia. Maia takes it and gets a title shot after.

FACT: Anytime Maia fought a well rounded fighter like Rory Macdonald he lost.

FACT: Rory Macdonald is twice the striker Damien Maia is.

FACT: Rory Macdonald is a better wrestler than Damien Maia

Again, give me an example on why rorys wrestling is superior to damians.

lol @ Rory having better wrestling than Maia

Honestly I think Rory has this. It all depends on his TDD though, which is honestly untested. We will really know where each of these fighter stand after this fight though in regards to their rankings.

Rory I think has the potential to overtake GSP's throne, he needs to pull a coup d'etat and establish his reign over Tri-Star and the WW division. :icon_twis

His stand up is vastly superior to Maia, and his rate of improvement and young age tell me he has a much higher ceiling than Maia and is probably already above him now. I also think the size is about even. Somebody get the picture of Rory next to Bisping. He will be the stronger, better conditioned fighter.

Thats your answer to my question? Lmfao....

What should I tell you? No matter what I say, you are blind and biased, and incompetent of understanding a logical thought. Rather, I will save your quotes and message you after the fight, remember who told you first that Rory will crush Maia.

Fact: Rory has improved greatly each time we've seen him.

Fact: Rory has MUCH better stand-up than Maia

Fact: Rory trains in one of the best camps on the planet and is a very intelligent fighter himself so he will surely come up with a very strong gameplan going into this fight if it happens.

I'm not saying Rory isn't the underdog 'cause i think he is but completely writing him off would be a huge mistake.

1. Agree.
2. Agree
3. Agree.
4.none of the above matters once a superior grappler gets a hold of you, fitch has mad his carreer of out this, and damian is fitch, bigger stronger and much mir versatile un subs.

To stop a grappler of maias caliber you have to be agle to stop the tds, the rest doesnt matter, unless you have a one ko punch, which rory does not have either....

I'll also remember who said Rory had better wrestling, which is a fucking comical stance to have

1. BJ Penn did not take Rory down.

2. Rory has a better takedown defense percentage (89%) than Sonnen (71%), Fitch (56%), and Story (58%).

Good match up. Would be an impressive win for both guys.

What should I tell you? No matter what I say, you are blind and biased, and incompetent of understanding a logical thought. Rather, I will save your quotes and message you after the fight, remember who told you first that Rory will crush Maia.

Am i? Give me a reason on what you base your opinion on rorys superior wrestling.... i gave you my thoughts on the subject i ready, if you dont agree , do post why not....

1. BJ Penn did not take Rory down.

2. Rory has a better takedown defense percentage (89%) than Sonnen (71%), Fitch (56%), and Story (58%).

1. I think he did.
2. Yeah, and rory has faced how many wrestlers and grapplers? Ncik diaz could have the biggest tdd ratio if he had faced the comoetitiin rory has...

Hope this ends up happening and Maia gets a title shot after. Sweet Fight!

Back