• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Demian Maia vs Rory Macdonald being rumoured for UFC 161

Bendo is the lightweight Champion, no shame in that. Guida is the definition of a lay and prayer, and Nate Diaz did a decent job stuffing takedowns.

BJ Penn may not be Damien Maia, but BJ Penn is one of the best BJJ guys at WW - so Rory getting up in seconds in a great sign for things to come.

By the way, Damien Maia has only gotten 1 submission in the last 4 1/2 years, so lets not get carried away here. Maia is a masterful jiu jistu player, but ever since he's been working on his striking, he hasn't been as dominate on the ground.
Exactly and he ragdolled nate.

Rory being able to do it is no feather in his cap when he's a weightclass higher.

Submissions dont mean shit when we're talking about someone's grappling aptitude.

Maia>>>BJ on the ground, by a lot.
Frank Mir has expressed he gets schooled by Maia.

I like you man, but some of the shit you type makes me feel like you don't watch a lot of MMA.
And you know you just want Maia to lose because he beat DHK. The Korean bias is in.

I don't think Augustus watches much MMA. He just regurgitates popular opinion and gathers information from the surface, looking at results rather than what took place in the fight.

Lol at the people acting as if Maia would school Rory. Very 50/50 fight. I'm not sure why so many people are so stubborn to accept Rory Mac as a legit 170 pounder. He has proven himself.

Lol at the people acting as if Maia would school Rory. Very 50/50 fight. I'm not sure why so many people are so stubborn to accept Rory Mac as a legit 170 pounder. He has proven himself.

against who?

Bendo is the lightweight Champion, no shame in that. Guida is the definition of a lay and prayer, and Nate Diaz did a decent job stuffing takedowns.

BJ Penn may not be Damien Maia, but BJ Penn is one of the best BJJ guys at WW - so Rory getting up in seconds in a great sign for things to come.

By the way, Damien Maia has only gotten 1 submission in the last 4 1/2 years, so lets not get carried away here. Maia is a masterful jiu jistu player, but ever since he's been working on his striking, he hasn't been as dominate on the ground.

Again wrooong, Damian took his k1 journey for like 2 years, came back, But even before tht he was not instant subbing guys, he is not thzt type of grappler...nor he needs to, damain will just control the Fight on th ground, like very few people can actually do, and if the opportunity presents, he wiol sub you... that is why a guy with a one ko punch is his worst nightmare, technical strikers are food on the table for him.... (note that technical strikers are rarely great defensive wrestlers)

Going to be awesome seeing Rory piss and moan while getting grapplefucked into obvlivion

Rory can't KO Maia. But Maia can and will sub him. He's no Jon Fitch in sub defense.

Exactly and he ragdolled nate.

Rory being able to do it is no feather in his cap when he's a weightclass higher.

Submissions dont mean shit when we're talking about someone's grappling aptitude.

Maia>>>BJ on the ground, by a lot.
Frank Mir has expressed he gets schooled by Maia.

I like you man, but some of the shit you type makes me feel like you don't watch a lot of MMA.
And you know you just want Maia to lose because he beat DHK. The Korean bias is in.

The korean connection? Shouldve realized of it....

All well thoughts, but still there is a problem with your logic, he has not fough a top grappler or wrestler, thats why im saying you cant assume his tdd or wrestking is better than damians, while damian has proved himself against strong wrestlers already, put it this way, its easy to look like alexander karelin while facing che mills and 25 pounds over the hill bj penn (who by the way seemed to fotrget tisnis mma not boxing)

Okay, I can see your point of view. I will grant you that Maia has proved himself over better wrestlers. The way I see it, though, Macdonald has showed me the potential of someone who has better wrestling than Maia. So in theory, I think Rory can stuff his takedowns.

We are at a standstill, I'm afraid; If we can't assume things on Macdonald, then we can't assume that he is less of a wrestler than Maia. The only conclusion is to wait and see if Rory's potential is as good as I imagine.

You are making a better argument for Maia then I originally thought. Sorry for calling you a fool earlier.

lol@easy win for Maia..Most are just butthurt Penn fans now forever sworn to hate Rory just like they hate GSP...Rory is a smart fighter I doubt he'd play into Maia's game..He'd pick Maia apart on the feet. So delusional some people are.

Okay, I can see your point of view. I will grant you that Maia has proved himself over better wrestlers. The way I see it, though, Macdonald has showed me the potential of someone who has better wrestling than Maia. So in theory, I think Rory can stuff his takedowns.

We are at a standstill, I'm afraid; If we can't assume things on Macdonald, then we can't assume that he is less of a wrestler than Maia. The only conclusion is to wait and see if Rory's potential is as good as I imagine.

You are making a better argument for Maia then I originally thought. Sorry for calling you a fool earlier.

My only beef was that you have taken as a fact that rory has better wrestling, i do respect your opinion though, you see potential, thats ok, i was basing my opinion on past fights, though i can see why you would uust think i was just nutthugging damian (my nick and because i indeed nutthugg most bjj figters lol)

Its all good.

I watch MMA all the time, don't question my intelligence and I won't question yours; try to see things from my perspective and it would make sense. BBJ_Rage seems to think that I make some decent points and I think the same of him.

Maia beating DHK has nothing to do with anything man. And what are you talking about? I am not even Asian, let alone Korean, so that makes no sense at all; I love Korean women, but in no shape or form am I biased with Korean fighters.

I watch MMA all the time, don't question my intelligence and I won't question yours; try to see things from my perspective and it would make sense. BBJ_Rage seems to think that I make some decent points and I think the same of him.

Maia beating DHK has nothing to do with anything man. And what are you talking about? I am not even Asian, let alone Korean, so that makes no sense at all; I love Korean women, but in no shape or form am I biased with Korean fighters.

I'm not questioning your intelligence, i'm pointing out that the statments you're making don't hold much weight to anyone who can see fights objectively.

Nate's been tossed around by FW's and Maia has tossed around LHW's. I don't see how you can argue whose wrestling is more proven.

I don't care about BJJ_Rage's view of your views, that's not what i'm addressing.

Back